• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lavaudio DS600 Review (Stereo DAC)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and measurements of the 1mii Lavaudio DS600 USB DAC. It was kindly purchased new by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $225 including Prime shipping.

The DS600 enclosure feels quite solid and substantial (i.e. machined out of a block of aluminum):

Lavaudio DS600 Review USB DAC.jpg

There is some talk that the DS600 may be a copy of Topping D50s. It indeed looks very much like it but with addition of that headphone jack. The display looks sharp and nice (better than the picture) but did not come with a plastic cover. I also saw a spec of dust behind the front glass.

Back panel is what you expect:

Lavaudio DS600 Review back panel.jpg

A USB cable to 9 volt barrel connector is supplied and is mandatory to power the unit with any port (including USB).

When It tried tried to configure the DS600 for testing, I saw this odd indicator:
Lavaudio DS600 USB Eval.png

Notice the word "EVAL?" It stands for evaluation and seems to indicate some unlicensed, reference design firmware was used. Maybe they just forgot to update the name but still, doesn't look good. It worked fine though.

Lavaudio DS600 Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard:
Lavaudio DS600 Measurements USB DAC.png

Ah, this is good news as far as performance. SINAD which is the relative sum of noise and distortion is excellent:

Best USB DAC Review 2021.png

Zooming in:
Best USB DAC Measurement 2021.png

Dynamic range is quite good as well:

Lavaudio DS600 Measurements Dynamic Range USB DAC.png

IMD distortion relative to level shows a hint of ESS IMD hump which did not exist in the D50s:
Lavaudio DS600 Measurements IMD USB DAC.png

Jitter shows a lot of interference but they are of no consequences given their extremely low levels:

Lavaudio DS600 Measurements jitter Toslink USB.png

I was pleasantly surprised that the default DAC filter was the correct one as it is not 99% of the time:

Lavaudio DS600 Measurements Filter USB DAC.png

Linearity was nailed:

Lavaudio DS600 Measurements Linearity USB DAC.png

On the other hand, noise and distortion were as high as much cheaper DACs:
Lavaudio DS600 Measurements THD+N vs frequency USB DAC.png

Finally, multitone results are excellent:
Lavaudio DS600 Measurements Multitone USB DAC.png

Lavaudio DS600 Headphone Amplifier Measurements
This is the main value-add over Topping D50s so let's see how it does into 300 ohm load:
Lavaudio DS600 Measurements Headphone power into 300 ohm.png

Hmmm. We have very low power level and the ESS IMD hump is quite visible. Let's change the load to 33 ohm:
Lavaudio DS600 Measurements Headphone power into 33 ohm.png

Ah, the truth comes out! Someone just tapped the RCA outs and brought it to the front and called it done. This is wrong as the RCA out typically has high impedance in the order of 100 ohm we see here. That high impedance causes a ton of power loss as we see in the 33 ohm test. And rules out using vast majority of headphones out there as it will interact with their impedance and change their frequency response (tonality).

In one line: this is a useless addition. You could get an RCA to 3.5mm female adapter and have the same on any other DAC.

Conclusions
Unlike some other Topping DAC clone we have tested, the DAC portion of Lavaudio DS600 delivers the goods. The "eval" indicator on the name though gives me pause as to whether this is a properly licensed product. The marketing headphone output is quite a poor attempt at confusing the buyer into thinking they are getting the real deal. But they are not. Taking that away, the unit costs the same as Topping D50s.

Other than the headphone amp, I can't fault the performance of the DS600. However, I am reserving recommendation until I am assured that it is a legitimate, licensed product.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

06S2k07Si

Amir, Thank you for taking the time to test this. Just to point out one small thing about the cost...although it is currently listed on Amazon for $225, when I purchased it they had a checkbox coupon for an additional $50 off. Shipped to my (your) door it was $188.81. At that price it doesn't seem too bad. It'd be interesting to see a comparison of this vs the Dx3 Pro V2!

Did you have any time to do a listening test? ...just to see how it actually drives some headphones or earphones? Good, bad, or ugly? Thoughts?

Thank you again for your time Sir!

Brian

06S2k07Si

I have asked him.
Do It!

If you can try to be as careful as possible as to try to be able to reattach the feet...I have done this before successfully but each foot manufacturers adhesives are different. Use you judgement... If you aren't comfortable with being able to do this successfully and wish not to I will gladly pay for you to send this back to me.

Last edited:

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Clearly targeted as a D50s clone. Basically the same chipset. Not that that is a bad thing, there are clearly times when there is an obvious answer, but the cosmetics, even down to labelling is just too close. That is a mark against them.

But why oh why do we have yet another device that thinks that sample rate is the most important thing to display?
The company web page is pretty basic. They do have an AP console snapshot. Seems this is becoming quite the thing. They are however claiming significantly better numbers and at lower voltage out.

The digram describing the remote control show two keys as "invalid". That is never a good look on a product.

The page is also clearly copied from another product some parts of the description just don't match.

Can't resist quoting this typo/mis-translation.
enjoy the high fertility sound lying on the sofa

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It'd be interesting to see a comparison of this vs the Dx3 Pro V2!
It is not a competitor to DX3 Pro because it doesn't have a useful headphone amp whereas the DX3 Pro very much does.

xema

It's more likely a ODM product powered by topping I think.
Look at the "designed in germany" shit haha, a "fake foreign brand" could not design (or even could not copy) a such good performance like this one, otherwise they just not have to be a "fake foreign brand".
244b2473-e762-411b-a7a7-d43672d3486d.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Look at the "designed in germany" shit haha, a "fake foreign brand" could not design (or even could not copy) a such good performance like this one, otherwise they just not have to be a "fake foreign brand".
244b2473-e762-411b-a7a7-d43672d3486d.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
Stop with this type of BS. Please.

DuncanTodd

But why oh why do we have yet another device that thinks that sample rate is the most important thing to display?
Indeed. I'd much rather see the input source. I can't see what input the E30 is on from where I'm sitting, too small.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And rules out using vast majority of headphones out there as it will interact with their impedance and change their frequency response (tonality).
Maybe some measurement example, here or in one of future headphone review, as to better imagine this effect...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe some measurement example, here or in one of future headphone review, as to better imagine this effect...
@solderdude has shown this effect many times including a recent post. The math mandates it.

3125b

Major Contributor
Performance is good, but all I see is a potential compatibility nightmare.

The digram describing the remote control show two keys as "invalid". That is never a good look on a product.
Topping and SMSL do that too to be fair, the universal remote isn‘t always fully used, on E30 there are three „invalid buttons“ for example.

It's not as close (or as bad) a copy as the Aimpire thing, but still pretty close:
Topping D50s DAC Audio Review.jpgLavaudio DS600 Review USB DAC.jpgTopping D50s DAC Rear Panel Audio Review.jpgLavaudio DS600 Review back panel.jpg
Notice the font of the product name ...

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
The first half of the metrics, I was thinking to myself

"wow, a potential clone, where someone actually chose the right filter to use as the default?"

"wow, nice dynamic range"

"wow, good noise/linearity"

Then the latter half right after the THD+N vs Frequency, it takes a nosedive. I was wondering how that graph was at best as good as a Kadas Tone Board considering the other measurements. Then the whole headphone-out situation went into disaster mode to finish it off >_<

fordiebianco

Forum Donor

Would you like to elaborate on this ?

Veri

Master Contributor
A USB cable to 9 volt barrel connector is supplied and is mandatory to power the unit with any port (including USB).
5V , right? Just so no-one tries 9V and burns the thing down ;) decent measurements but honestly, for the price I'd pass, especially considering the lacking/non-existent headphone line driver. At least it's better than the Aimpire clone... could do worse!

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
5V , right? Just so no-one tries 9V and burns the thing down ;) decent measurements but honestly, for the price I'd pass, especially considering the lacking/non-existent headphone line driver. At least it's better than the Aimpire clone... could do worse!
Let @amirm finish his night first ;)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I've seen it myself too, maybe he was thinking that the plug itself is a 9V barrel, like the below from Sparkfun:

09518-01.jpg

Of course, it is an USB plug on the left side and there's 5V flowing there from the USB plug to the "9V barrel" plug.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I'd get something balanced instead of Bluetooth or save $100 with a Topping E30.

Top Bottom