• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lets talk cables

Hemicrusher

Been lurking her for awhile, and figured I'd post here for the first time.

I am not a pro by any sense of the imagination. I did work for my neighbor who was an audio engineer and built custom studio consoles for some of the major recording studios here in Burbank, Sun Valley etc. He used to pay me $15 hr to pack circuit boards. He also did sound engineering for Blondie, Talking Heads, Wall of Voodoo in the 70's/80's.

Back then cabling seemed so haphazard and random. Studios just had bulk random generic cabling and I don't remember any talk of esoteric magical wires. Many times I went with him to Radio Shack to grab some cheap patch cables, wire spools etc.

Basically, I never understood why someone would spend so much money on cabling. The only times I spend more then normal is if the cable is visible and I like the look. I don't trust ABing things like cabling because of memory not being accurate. for minute changes. I have tested lamp cord to $100/ft cable and heard zero difference. Most of my interconnects are a mix of Hosa pre-made and Mogami that I now assemble myself. If it's visible, I add a sleeve.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Basically, I never understood why someone would spend so much money on cabling. The only times I spend more then normal is if the cable is visible and I like the look. I don't trust ABing things like cabling because of memory not being accurate. for minute changes. I have tested lamp cord to $100/ft cable and heard zero difference. Most of my interconnects are a mix of Hosa pre-made and Mogami that I now assemble myself. If it's visible, I add a sleeve.
Good thoughts-practices, and welcome to ASR forums!
Cabling has been the biggest profit scam in audio, huge amounts of money is made on BS marketing and shill con demos.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Been lurking her for awhile, and figured I'd post here for the first time.

I am not a pro by any sense of the imagination. I did work for my neighbor who was an audio engineer and built custom studio consoles for some of the major recording studios here in Burbank, Sun Valley etc. He used to pay me $15 hr to pack circuit boards. He also did sound engineering for Blondie, Talking Heads, Wall of Voodoo in the 70's/80's.

Back then cabling seemed so haphazard and random. Studios just had bulk random generic cabling and I don't remember any talk of esoteric magical wires. Many times I went with him to Radio Shack to grab some cheap patch cables, wire spools etc.

Talking heads are one of my all time favourite bands , welcome and thanks for kicking off your first post.

Hemicrusher

Talking heads are one of my all time favourite bands , welcome and thanks for kicking off your first post.

The engineer I knew lived across the street and would call me over when bands came by to listen to stuff he was working on. When I was around 15 I meet Blondie...Debbie Harry and the band members....and David Byrne. I got to sit with Blondie and listen to the early tapes of Autoamerican before it was released. David Byrne was really cool......

Veri

Master Contributor
http://audience-av.com/cables/au24se/

The idea of cables as components is a controversial subject. There are many who think that "wire is wire" and don't accept that cables can either optimize or compromise the performance of an audio system. Traditional tests for difference in cable reveal very little if any electrical differences between brands. However, the human ear/brain is a far more sensitive and discriminating test apparatus and deciphers differences in cable brands rather easily. This ability can be developed much like wine tasting. As you become more experienced, differences, shadings and nuance become more readily noticeable.

Audience Conductor and Au24 cable products are the end result of years of research into what matters most in an audio system...true fidelity to the signal without artificial embellishments or unwarranted voicing. Audience cables are not off the shelf items that have been adapted for use in an audio system, they are products that have been designed to actually preserve the audio signal in the least damaging fashion possible. "Neutral" or "natural" are the terms we hear most often when end users describe their performance.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: the worst thing? these cables sell pretty damn well

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

The idea of cables as components is a controversial subject. There are many who think that "wire is wire" and don't accept that cables can either optimize or compromise the performance of an audio system. Traditional tests for difference in cable reveal very little if any electrical differences between brands. However, the human ear/brain is a far more sensitive and discriminating test apparatus and deciphers differences in cable brands rather easily. This ability can be developed much like wine tasting. As you become more experienced, differences, shadings and nuance become more readily noticeable.

Audience Conductor and Au24 cable products are the end result of years of research into what matters most in an audio system...true fidelity to the signal without artificial embellishments or unwarranted voicing. Audience cables are not off the shelf items that have been adapted for use in an audio system, they are products that have been designed to actually preserve the audio signal in the least damaging fashion possible. "Neutral" or "natural" are the terms we hear most often when end users describe their performance.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
What a bunch of snake-oil sales marketing!! AKA Crapola

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: the worst thing? these cables sell pretty damn well
Never give a sucker an even break W C Fields

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

They don't even say what the cable are made of.

At least Audioquest provides cross-sectional diagrams and materials lists, even if the explanation of why it matters to sound is bullcrappy.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
They don't even say what the cable are made of.

At least Audioquest provides cross-sectional diagrams and materials lists, even if the explanation of why it matters to sound is bullcrappy.
It’s made of dreams , dreams to make a shit load of fast money .

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hmmm... Our Moderator reaches for a barbed-wire bat to moderate? Methinks the term "moderate" has been stretched a bit... :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hmmm... Our Moderator reaches for a barbed-wire bat to moderate? Methinks the term "moderate" has been stretched a bit... :D
Oh oh, he's changed his persona again. Strange looking bit of gentlemen in the avatar for him though.

audiobill

Well he will only use it here after first trying it on himself, with his preferred lube of course.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Oh oh, he's changed his persona again. Strange looking bit of gentlemen in the avatar for him though.

Just noticed that, should we be worried about a Moderator with so many personalities? And a barbed-wire bat? :D

Top Bottom