• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a good dac/amp; Fiio K9 Pro ESS, SMSL stack or other options

Hifimiki

Hi all,

This will be my first comment here, even tho I have been reading this forum for years. I just purchased Meze Empyrean headphones after 5-6 hours testing different headphones. Going full deep into the rabbit hole...

Due to the expensive headphone purchase I do not have a big budget for a dac/amp, dac + amp stack. My max budget is around 800€/900USD. Ive been reading online and watching youtube videos for days... I have narroved my options, which I think are the best for my budget and which I am just personaly feeling that could be good options.

I listen to music on my PC while working and then also I play FPS games, so what I am looking for is a good soundstage and good imaging and of course that the music sounds incredibly good on the Empys. I am also looking for a one time purchase now which I will be pleased for years with... Ou and Bluetooth is needed. My music taste is really broad, mainly EDM /trance, house, techo, old hiphop and rap, then also rock, Metallica etc and other classic music, even romantic music...

1. Fiio K9 Pro Ess - Technically everything seems to be really good, the amount of good reviews and how pleased people are with the sound. I have not seen any other dac/amp which would get so much praise online... Only question is that how "narrow" is the soundstage. Details and imaging should be on an incredible good level for my understanding.
2. SMSL SP400 + SU-9 - Would this maybe be too extravagant/overshot for me? It could barely fit to my budget if I strecht a little bit...
3. SMLS SH9 + SU9
4. SMSL DO200 + HO200 - Dont really understand is this better than the "9 series" or the other way around...
5. Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 4 - or 3, the 3 I could get for a good deal...
7. Fiio k7 pro BT - could be an option too, but for my understanding the K9 has a clearly better sound, soundstage and imaging and detail...
8. Topping, DX7, E70/L70 - For some personal reason I am not so interested in Topping.

RME ADI-2 FS would probably be the best of all these... But it is out of my budget and I just can't overspend now.

I am not an audiphile at all, I love music and I love tehcnical aspects and details. For example the Empyrean headphones sounded for me as detailed and the soundstage and imaging seemed to be on par with Hifiman Aryas to me, the only headphone which I clearly heard that was better in this aspect was the HD800, but as for the music the Empys just sounded easily the best for my ear. What I am saying that I will not probably need som clinical sound or extremly detailed amp/dac, I just need something I can enjoy the music with and I have the best possible soundstage and imaging for gaming. All the high-end Focals had just some too much clarity/high ends in sound/ high frequency which my ear didnt like, so it was a easy option to leave those out. Just telling this if it helps with choosing the amd/dac...

None of the Audio shops near me or in my country are really selling these brands, some shop has some of the brands, but not all of them, so it is really hard for me to test the brands anywhere....

I could not find any such discussion or neither am I sure is this in thread in the correct place...

I would really need help deciding and comments from you guys with a lot of experience and wisdom.

Many thanks and best regards from Finland.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Ho200/Do200 and the soundstage is very good with the second color setting (third is a softer sound, like a treble rolloff effect). It's a fun amp with good bass dynamics for things like drum hits sounding distinctive. Amazon has BIG discount coupons I think just for prime members on both (at least here in the U.S.).

Chazz6

Either stretch your budget for the RME ADI-2 FS DAC or watch the classified ads on this and other websites for used ones. I saw an ad recently for one at US$800.

OP
H

Hifimiki

I have the Ho200/Do200 and the soundstage is very good with the second color setting (third is a softer sound, like a treble rolloff effect). It's a fun amp with good bass dynamics for things like drum hits sounding distinctive. Amazon has BIG discount coupons I think just for prime members on both (at least here in the U.S.).
Thanks for the comment, thats good to know, this combo seems to have good reviews also. So, yes, it is one of my strongest options.

OP
H

Hifimiki

Either stretch your budget for the RME ADI-2 FS DAC or watch the classified ads on this and other websites for used ones. I saw an ad recently for one at US$800.
Thanks, I have tried to look for a used one, here in Europe there seems not to be so many, now I found a couple to whom I could reach out and ask if they would ship to Finland.

The only "issue" with the RME is that it has not bluetooth. I would really like to have bluetooth as I have a separate laptot for work, so when Im workin I would most likely use the bluetooth connection for music. Switching cables back and forth is one of my weaknesses...

EDIT: Just read some more stuff... The RME seems not to have either wifi or Airplay or nothing, which is really a issue...

Last edited:
OP
H

Hifimiki

I found the Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 4 also for a really good price now. Which makes it really interesting, but I read some review of the 3 veresion, that it might not really be fully enough for planar headphones - or it doesnt sound so good with the Empys.

Is it possible that the version 4 has the same issue?

Top Bottom