• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for DAC 2.1 amp with AirPlay or multiple optical inputs

mangochutney

Hi lovely people of ASR. I've been lurking around the site unregistered for a while now, trying to figure out my living room audio situation but perusing various threads and using countless search terms didn't yield a good answer, yet. So…

I'm looking for a DAC + 2.1 amp combo, potentially with some smart features to replace my current setup.

Budget is up to € 1,200.—

Current setup​

• Yamaha Pianocraft E400 receiver (yes, it's old and yes it still works beautifully)
  • 2 Yamaha NX-E400 speakers (impedance: 6 Ohms, nominal input power: 60 W, maximal input power: 110 W)
  • Yamaha YST-FSW150 subwoofer (has a "system connector" or what appears to be now called "trigger input")
  • LG OLED TV (available outputs: Line, optical, eARC/ARC), currently connected to the receiver via line-to-RCA
  • Airport Express 1st generation for AirPlay, connected to receiver via line-to-RCA

Ideal setup​

DAC/2.1 amp with the following qualities:
  • eARC/ARC input and/or optical input
  • One or more analog inputs (3.5mm or RCA)
  • AirPlay 2 (It's ok if it also supports Google Chromecast Audio but I don't need any streaming service integration or bluetooth.)
  • Enough oomph to power the Yamaha speakers
  • Sub out and potentially also a trigger output
  • Remote control
  • Configuration without a companion smartphone app (low tech)

Perfectly acceptable setup

• 1 eARC/ARC input + 1 optical input or 2 optical inputs
  • Remote control

Sound​

I want good sound within reason. The Pianocraft is a competent system, particularly with the subwoofer in the mix. If there are major difference in tuning between various DACs, I prefer cleaner, more neutral base output with good separation, because I'll probably be able to dial in as much bass as I need to and also otherwise adjust the sound.

My other frequently used setups are a Denon Home 350 in my office and various iOS and macOS devices connected to a lightning or USB-C 3.5mm dongle connected to an iFi IE Match connected to a pair of Campfire Audio Andromeda.

staticV3

Master Contributor

Ideal setup​

• eARC/ARC input and/or optical input
  • AirPlay 2 (It's ok if it also supports Google Chromecast Audio but I don't need any streaming service integration or bluetooth.)
  • Remote control
The WiiM Amp has:
-eARC input
-Analog input
-AirPlay 2
-Enough oomph to power the Yamaha speakers
-Remote control

It does not have:
-Trigger out
-Configuration without a companion App

Nonetheless, it is what I would buy.

OP
mangochutney

mangochutney

The WiiM Amp has:
-eARC input
-Analog input
-AirPlay 2
-Enough oomph to power the Yamaha speakers
-Remote control

It does not have:
-Trigger out
-Configuration without a companion App

Nonetheless, it is what I would buy.
Thanks for this vote. I'll dive deeper into the WiiM Amp thread to find out more. I checked their website but wasn't taken by the app-based config.

Top Bottom