• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for recommendations – Fast tempo big band jazz

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can anyone recommend pieces, band-leaders and recordings of fast tempo big-band jazz? Preferably instrumental, swing or latin-influenced rhythms, and with lots of fast horn lines and noodly solos. And of course, well recorded (no mono recordings from the 40s please). My favorite is Buddy Rich, and I'm looking for stuff similar to this:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

PresbyByrd

Forum Donor
I really like this genre, too. Are you familiar with Catherine Russell? Give her a listen.

dc655321

Major Contributor
It's literally (and maybe, sadly?) the only one I know:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

North_Sky

Major Contributor

• Glenn Miller Orchestra
• Benny Goodman
• Duke Ellington
• Count Basie

• Bonus (fun part) ...

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
I would love to hear a big band do this:

Last edited:

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
From memory, and my dad’s record collection, here are the names of some British band leaders to explore: Ted Heath, Jack Parnell, John Dankworth, Chris Barber and Syd Lawrence.
Chris Barber has just retired, at the age of 89, so he might be the easiest to find on streaming, etc.
I’m not well versed in this music, sorry if it’s not exactly the type of big band you’re after.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

From memory, and my dad’s record collection, here are the names of some British band leaders to explore: Ted Heath, Jack Parnell, John Dankworth, Chris Barber and Syd Lawrence.
Chris Barber has just retired, at the age of 89, so he might be the easiest to find on streaming, etc.
I’m not well versed in this music, sorry if it’s not exactly the type of big band you’re after.
Can you point me to specific recordings? I looked at what is there on Deezer and there are plenty of albums, but it's hard to find a well recorded one.

• Glenn Miller Orchestra
• Benny Goodman
• Duke Ellington
• Count Basie
Can you name a good recording of their music? or maybe a modern tribute?

Pluto

Forum Donor
Can anyone recommend pieces, band-leaders and recordings of fast tempo big-band jazz?
I would get a subscription to Jazzradio.com

I have had such a sub. for about 3 years; it's a reliable, high quality service of about 30 jazz styles including modern and classic big band. You can listen at lower quality with ads. without the subscription to get a flavour. It's my standard source of background entertainment these days and I've heard a great many fantastic tracks.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Can you point me to specific recordings? I looked at what is there on Deezer and there are plenty of albums, but it's hard to find a well recorded one.
Can you name a good recording of their music? or maybe a modern tribute?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jazz-duke-ellington-cds-with-good-sound-quality-needed.148255/
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/count-basie-recommendation.17612/
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/best-benny-goodman-recordings
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/good-sounding-benny-goodman-and-glenn-miller-discs.110412/

Top Bottom