• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for top-tier portable DAC/AMP

dc655321

Major Contributor
If anyone's interested in measurements of the Sony WM1Z: https://www.0db.co.kr/xe/index.php?mid=REVIEW_0DB&category=183&document_srl=91538
(They also have measurements for the AK240 and Plenue 2. Phones too.)

The conclusion of that report (from Google Translate) on this $3k+ DAP:

"As a result of the performance check, it is not as good as other smartphones or DAP. It is the most expensive and generally the worst measurement I have ever reviewed. Even though the DAP is expensive, the maximum output is also 1 Vrms. All of the chassis are differentiated from other acoustic devices like gold plated, high capacity, micro sd card support, and balanced output, which can be a point of purchase, but the basic measurements are quite unsatisfactory."

To quote the great Northern Pikes' song, "She ain't pretty, she just looks that way". ;)

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
The conclusion of that report (from Google Translate) on this $3k+ DAP:

"As a result of the performance check, it is not as good as other smartphones or DAP. It is the most expensive and generally the worst measurement I have ever reviewed. Even though the DAP is expensive, the maximum output is also 1 Vrms. All of the chassis are differentiated from other acoustic devices like gold plated, high capacity, micro sd card support, and balanced output, which can be a point of purchase, but the basic measurements are quite unsatisfactory."

To quote the great Northern Pikes' song, "She ain't pretty, she just looks that way". ;)
Interesting. That is why I asked another poster about his V30. I have found the LG V20 to be very good sounding. There are a couple of tricks needed though to elicit the best sound. Not the worst idea to use a phone as a DAP by shutting off the radio.

Instead of crazy money on custom IEMs, people can check out the Audeze iSines, amazing sound for the price. A pair of iSine LX and an iPod touch or old iPhone and a streaming service is a cost effective excellent sounding setup.

Jorj

Forum Donor
I'm quite certain that this does not qualify as a 'top-tier' DAC, but I have a feeling that it will test well and sound great. The early pre-production reviews of the THX AAA amps that have been trickling in have been very positive. It is surely on my radar for release in July. It might be nice if we all jumped on them to make sure it has USB C connections. It's getting old seeing next-generation devices shipping with last decade's USB plug.

The Dirac Sensaround II thing sounds interesting, but it will remain to be seen if it is anything other than a gimmick. I believe Dirac has some decent science to their credit, but it seems too much to ask that a simple preset would be sufficient to "create a vast, clear and realistically immersive soundstage" for any headphone you plug in.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24460

244601.jpg

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Centrance is not widely known but they've been around and made a good number of well-regarded portable DACs/Amps over the years. Afaik they also also do some work in the pro-audio segment. Perhaps Amir can get his hands on their latest BlueDAC to get some objective data and perhaps considers it a challenge and measures the "unmeasurable jitter" http://www.centrance.com/products/bluedac/.
I tested one of their thumb drive sized DACs a few weeks ago. Alas, I did not save all the results so have not posted it.

The Blu is pretty expensive at $400 though. Let me know if you ever see it on sale. :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir: I would be amused if you measured the AK380. Want me to send it up? Also have the matching amp and have been curious as to its output impedance. I will be away on a Transpacific ocean race and return for July and August (2018) so that would give you some opportunity to do the measurements.
Sure. I will send you a PM.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

gvl

Major Contributor
I tested one of their thumb drive sized DACs a few weeks ago. Alas, I did not save all the results so have not posted it.

The Blu is pretty expensive at $400 though. Let me know if you ever see it on sale. :)

Will do :) Was it the Dacport Slim or maybe HD you tested by any chance? How did it fare if so? I use the Slim at work and over time found little reason to complain about its performance.

alex

Curious. How were you using the V30, HiFi mode, high impedance mode etc? Surprised the dragonfly was much better.

So its kind of funny but I'm not sure the dragonfly red is better than the LGV30 for me now... the thing is that the minimum volume on the dragonfly red is quite high with the headphones I'm using. When I do my best to volume match them, I have to turn the LGV30 way up and I realize it actually might be the one I prefer. LOL. I haven't done much A/B testing but just use the LGV30 now. Not sure if theres too much noticeable difference to be honest except that the red is slightly less convenient and wont let me listen at a safe volume.

The Red does sound really good for its price though in my experience. Somebody measured distortion at high output:

https://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zbo...&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=69

So I wouldn't get it if you have sensitive earphones, or high impedance headphones because you don't want it be too loud, or need to turn it up because it might have distortion when its cranked up. They released an firmware update since that measurement so its also possible that issue has been fixed.

alex

After doing research into the Mojo, it seems a lot of users are having issues with the batteries giving out quickly. They can only be replaced by an authorized dealer for a stupid price. Beware used mojo listings as you might be paying for unit with a battery at the end of its life.

Personally I would never buy an audio product that uses a battery that needs to be replaced by a dealer. I hate it but I buy phones and laptops that have this problem because it is a standard feature of the market, but for audio products there are so many options where this isn't the case I wouldn't be able to justify it.

Wombat

Master Contributor
After doing research into the Mojo, it seems a lot of users are having issues with the batteries giving out quickly. They can only be replaced by an authorized dealer for a stupid price. Beware used mojo listings as you might be paying for unit with a battery at the end of its life.

Personally I would never buy an audio product that uses a battery that needs to be replaced by a dealer. I hate it but I buy phones and laptops that have this problem because it is a standard feature of the market, but for audio products there are so many options where this isn't the case I wouldn't be able to justify it.

See the last two posts: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...8-months-battery-warranty-defects-liability /

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
So its kind of funny but I'm not sure the dragonfly red is better than the LGV30 for me now... the thing is that the minimum volume on the dragonfly red is quite high with the headphones I'm using. When I do my best to volume match them, I have to turn the LGV30 way up and I realize it actually might be the one I prefer. LOL. I haven't done much A/B testing but just use the LGV30 now. Not sure if theres too much noticeable difference to be honest except that the red is slightly less convenient and wont let me listen at a safe volume.

The Red does sound really good for its price though in my experience. Somebody measured distortion at high output:

https://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zbo...&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=69

So I wouldn't get it if you have sensitive earphones, or high impedance headphones because you don't want it be too loud, or need to turn it up because it might have distortion when its cranked up. They released an firmware update since that measurement so its also possible that issue has been fixed.
I asked because I have been using a V20 as a DAP and have been preety satisified. Have you tried turning off the wifi and radio? Also software can make a difference. I have been using UAPP. http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/uapp-trial
LG has done a nice job IMO on the audio section of these phones.

mshenay

I asked because I have been using a V20 as a DAP and have been preety satisified. Have you tried turning off the wifi and radio? Also software can make a difference. I have been using UAPP. http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/uapp-trial
LG has done a nice job IMO on the audio section of these phones.

Yea the LG phones are ok but I'd try and find a second hand LH Labs Geek Out v2+, I've been through a couple of portable DAC/Amps and time after time my Geek Out v2+ comes out on top. Good resolution, great power, great tonality just an all around phenomenal product built by a... less then perfect manufacturer/company. But mine is second hand and the first of the batch that came with the custom silver case and thus far I've noticed NO loss of battery life or performance. Though if something does fail I imagine I won't have any luck fixing it so... the support seems almost non existent for that product

An if you wanted on going customer support then the iFi iDSD Nano Black Label if you have like bright/neutral cans or the xDSD if you have dark/neutral cans,

Subjectively I would describe headphones like HD 600 would be on the Dark Side and the DT 880 on the Bright side and something like the K702 would sit in the middle-ish depending on your experience/preference. As I personally find the order of high energy presentation as such HD 600>K702>DT880 other wise each is fairly neutral in the midrange and bass

As for the Mojo, it's sound quality is quite exceptional but I've never lived with it so I can't comment on how quickly the battery does or doesn't die.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Dana reed

Is the SE pretty quiet for IEMs? The original HA-2 I have has noticeable background even on low gain with IEMs, and isn't really powerful enough to drive 300 Ohm Senns. That's why I moved to the Mojo. I know people are complaining about battery replacement cost on the Mojo, but when I asked Oppo, their battery is soldered to the board and "not replaceable"

Memoryerror

Forum Donor
I think the Cozoy Rei is another option. But it is pretty expensive for a device that will not feed hungry headphones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom