• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low Imp IEM Needs Headphone Amp?

HerbDetective

Would a low impedance IEM, with moderate sensitive, benefit in any way from a headphone amp, versus running it straight off the DAC output and using the digital volume control to obtain safe listening volumes?

My use case: I use a Dunu-1000 (imp: 10 ohms, sens: 98 dB) IEM. Measurements. I've tried running it off my Hifime U2 Async USB DAC and I can listen quite comfortably at about 85% on Windows mixer, but on some quieter tracks I need to push it to 100% and it's still not loud enough. I also tried running it off the Project Polaris headphone amp, but I get horrible hiss with the low output impedance setting. Not sure if that's from the power supply.

I'm thinking of upgrading the DAC to the topping D30, but am unsure whether I should buy the A30 alongside it. Will my IEM see any benefit from the A30 besides more volume?

derp1n

The high output impedance directly from the D30 DAC's line out won't be suitable for your IEMs (or most transducers). The A30 is probably not a great choice either for your case, since the OI is 10 ohms which makes it only really suitable for 80+ ohm transducers. You probably want an amp with an OI of 1 ohm or less. Something like an iFi Nano BL might be a good combo DAC/amp if you want something portable.

OP
HerbDetective

HerbDetective

solderdude

Grand Contributor
D30 (or NX4) + THIS will work just fine

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Older thread, but I have a FIIO E12A powering NU EDC3s, and it's stellar. You can get one on the used market for under $100.

The Topping NX5 appears similar in build and specs to the E12A, which may also be a great alternative.

Please keep in mind that both of these are portable units, driven by battery. While the E12A works fine while charging (I use is as a desktop amp), I'm not sure about the Topping units. I also don't know what will happen once their batteries no longer accept a charge, they may cease operating even while connected to 5V power.

OP
HerbDetective

HerbDetective

Older thread, but I have a FIIO E12A powering NU EDC3s, and it's stellar. You can get one on the used market for under $100.

The Topping NX5 appears similar in build and specs to the E12A, which may also be a great alternative.

Please keep in mind that both of these are portable units, driven by battery. While the E12A works fine while charging (I use is as a desktop amp), I'm not sure about the Topping units. I also don't know what will happen once their batteries no longer accept a charge, they may cease operating even while connected to 5V power.
I just bought an NX4 DSD and hope to use it as a desktop amp too. Do you find that the power supply that powers your E12A amp matters? Is there audible noise when it's powered and music is playing too?

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi Herb,

No sir, no impact on the sound at all when running from my $5.99 Samsung phone charger. :)

However, the battery wasn't completely depleted, I just connected the charger and listened casually. The black background was still pitch black, not even a slight buzz or hum. AFA the character of the sound, I did not notice any clipping or change in sound overall. Again, it wasn't a critical listening session, but the key for me was to ensure there was an absence of hiss, buzzing, or humming; because that drives me crazy.

Top Bottom