• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 questions

vlader

@spacebar thanks for the info! Are you using any voicing for the TV input?

I was asking if it displays the volume on the amp itself, as I couldn't tell from the pictures that are now available online.

Seems to me that Lyngdorf care a lot about integration with other electronics, which is something that I overlooked when buying my current amp.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
@vlader it shows the volume with light only. That big knob on the right is illuminated based on current volume setting.
Current setting is neutral voice setting, have not been testing other settings yet but will do later. You’re able to set voicing per input as well.

mika91

Just discovered the lyngdorf 1120, and this little box seems perfect for my needs!
(the speakers in my room really needs room eq)
It costs 2000€ here in France, and it’s possible to buy a used 2170 with hdmi and usb options for the same price.
Does the 2170 has advantages in room Perfect and sound quality over the 1120?
Thanks

vlader

1120 is a product released this year, whereas 2170 was released in 2014. Therefore I'd assume that RoomPerfect is better in the 1120, on the other hand if the 2170 is still receiving updates they might be on the same level. 2170 surely has more power, and has the nicer volume button, if that's important for you.

I just tried the 1120 last weekend and was really impressed by the package as a whole. It's also a streamer and the UX is really great: you start playing something on your phone, and in about 3 seconds it turns on and starts playing. The remote app isn't that great, but the 2170 shares the app... and from my experience so far, most apps of HiFi products aren't great.

Some people are complaining about HDMI CEC not working properly, but it works well with my 2018 Samsung smart TV.

Anyway, in conclusion, I haven't tried the 2170 so I can't compare them, but after trying 1120 I don't even want to.

vlader

Here's what RoomPerfect did, btw. I'll probably want to tweak it a bit more once I have my own unit.
This is before RoomPerfect: 1.jpg
Note that this is already an improvement over my previous amp, as I have a sub, and the 1120 lets me put a high pass filter on the mains.

After RoomPerfect: 2.jpg

I thought there's a tad too much bass, so I tweaked it manually a bit and got this: 3.jpg

I have absolutely no treatment in my room, and the speakers are placed quite badly: the speakers are 2m high on the wall, too close to the corners, and I also cannot experiment with the sub position. Without the Lyngdorf amp, I'm using a minidsp on the sub, and plugging the ports of the speakers.

Last edited:

mika91

Thanks for the info.

I discussed this morning with a sound engineer that owned the same speakers than mine and feel the same way about how bass and low midrange need room eq.

The best results he achieved, after a lot of tries, were with a lyngdorf 2170.
I asked him about Dirac, and in his point of view, lyngdorf roomPerfect is far easier to set-up, and Dirac sounds over 'flatty' for him (speakers loose their sound signature)

That's why I start looking for lyngdorf, and the 1120 is very tempting

vlader

I don't think it sounds overly flat. However the spike I have at 70Hz annoys me, and I was a bit disappointed that RoomPerfect left some traces of it, so I manually made it flatter there. And those nulls I have in low midrange can't be fixed by RoomPerfect at all.

I also noticed that the better a song is recorded, the more you'll hear the benefits, to the point that some bad records might even sound better with RoomPerfect turned off.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
I concur, the app is not very good, but I do like the browser view. http://tdai1120.local
It also works a lot better with latest firmware. If you are using a harmony remote you need the latest firmware so all buttons are working as expected.

You are able to resume Spotify connect by just pushing play on the remote from standby. Small details like this are important for me. I don’t think this works if you use deep sleep because it disconnects the network.

If you don’t like automatic room correction, you can create your own voice and fine tune it. Use REW or similar software for measurement.

Overall it’s a darn good unit in my opinion. I can’t understand how they manage to get so much details and clarity in the sound. Watching tv or YouTube or listening to radio, I can hear if they did a good acoustic job or not. I was not able to hear that sort of stuff with the NAD M10. This is maybe a matter of taste, but I like the Lyngdorf sound.

mika91

Is it possible to dim/turn off the lights ?
Any auto-dim function after user inactivity?
Thanks

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
Is it possible to dim/turn off the lights ?
Any auto-dim function after user inactivity?
Thanks
You have brightness level. And another option is timeout. If you turn down the brightness level, it will be a little brighter on a key press/change, and then dim after some seconds.
So I guess it’s yes and yes to your questions:)

From the manual:
Display settings will allow you to reduce the brightness level of the
display. You can activate a time-out, which will turn off the display with a
little delay after each operation.

Allanolsendk

I notice there is no digital out. Only analog.

As an owner of a active system I wonder if anyone is using (or considering using) the 1120 as a streamer and room perfect processor?

In my system I would have to accept the Lyngdorf digital to analog handling including RP + the analog to digital and then back to analog handling of my active speakers.

This seems like a muddy chain. Or maybe the RP is worth it. Any thoughts?

vlader

As an owner of a active system I wonder if anyone is using (or considering using) the 1120 as a streamer and room perfect processor?

In my system I would have to accept the Lyngdorf digital to analog handling including RP + the analog to digital and then back to analog handling of my active speakers.

Somebody was saying in another group that the analog outputs of the tdai 1120, while not bad, were mostly optimized for subs.

Maybe you could try it for a few days at home?

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor

By your username it seems you live in Denmark, so I agree with Vlader and loan one from Hifiklubben :) Do they have one in store near you?

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I have not seen a unit from Lyngdorf that outputs digital. It seems to be a decision made early to only offer analog out post DRC.
The flexibility offered by the sub output is limited. But Room Perfect does make small changes to amplitude and phase. I think Peter decided on a fixed slope for the filters.
Far as the TDAI-1120 versus earlier units the selling point is the added connectivity. I really think they had Room Perfect figured out a long time ago.
My unit uses older chips. They made changes in several areas since. The RP board operates at 192K/24 now. The ASRC chip is an AK4137. This has a S/N spec of 150 dB. You cannot turn off the sample rate even if not running RP.
The the lack of digital outputs, the limited sub adjustments, and fixed sample rate conversion were design choices made by Peter Lyngdorf. The option of changing could have been implemented from the start.

Top Bottom