• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Major issues with Tesla Model 3

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure you'd need superconducting transmission lines to make that sort of thing possible with any usable efficiency.

A test of microwave transfer by NASA in the 1970's achieved 80% efficiency. Better results could be obtained with more modern design. Plus larger installations have the chance to be more efficient than smaller ones. This one was with a 24 square meter transmitter array.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19760004119.pdf

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Can you point us to a case study of "conservative/libertarian approaches" to an expensive rural collective action problem actually solving or mitigating that problem? It doesn’t have to be infrastructure. That is a genuine question. There are plenty of ideological justifications bandied about, but empirical support seems lacking.

Wow, that came out of nowhere! Unfortunately, your assumption says a lot about the efficacy of a relentless propaganda onslaught even on intelligent people.

"Deplorable" has nothing to do with where someone lives or her occupation, and never did. Rather, as it was inartfully but accurately articulated by Clinton, it concerned conscious "alt right" ideological choices such as
  • white supremacy
  • Christian supremacy
  • misogyny
  • admiration for traitors such as the monsters who revolted against the United States of America in 1860 out of fear rich whites would someday be prohibited from collecting and exploiting black humans
By contrast: it may be irresponsible or even reckless to have supported adding over 1.5 trillion dollars of national debt to reduce the tax burden on corporations, and households who could already afford expensive audio equipment or $60,000 cars. But that's not about denying the basic humanity of another human. So it's not "deplorable."
I don’t want for us to go further down this road with the exchanges .

This is a Audio forum that happens to be discussing renewables but can we please avoid politics.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A test of microwave transfer by NASA in the 1970's achieved 80% efficiency. Better results could be obtained with more modern design. Plus larger installations have the chance to be more efficient than smaller ones. This one was with a 24 square meter transmitter array.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19760004119.pdf

That's pretty damn impressive. I just skimmed it, but I didn't see anything about how efficiency changes with distance.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Microwaves are attenuated by atmosphere and practically any object between antennae, including rain and such. I have a horrible problem with my home wireless network and at 2.4 GHz is in the same band as the old NASA study. And you have to control spreading very tightly at transmission, both to improve efficiency and to avoid irradiating nearby objects. Coherence at both ends is key to controlling spreading and achieving high efficiency. There are many. many studies about wireless energy transmission going back to the early days of radio. (Tesla came later but most everyone knows about his ideas.) This is one of those technologies that gets looked at again and again but just never manages to be practical, at least on a large scale.

Someone with more time can dig it up, but there was a fairly large study in the 80's or 90's (I think) looking at using satellites as power collectors and relays and placing large antenna panels on roofs to collect the energy. I only remember the pictures...

There are also studies about using lasers to transmit energy.

Consumer acceptance of some of these is also the subject of various studies. There were studies using satellites to collect solar energy and beam it to ground stations (radio waves, don't recall the frequency) where it would be stored in batteries and then converted and supplied to the power grid. I know at least one proposal for a prototype was nixed because the satellite transmission platform was too close to something that could be weaponized.

Since I am no longer in gov't R&D (and have not been for quite a while now) I've lost track of current trends but can well imagine there is still a lot of effort in these areas.

Brad

High voltage DC interconnects lose about 3% per 1000km.
So long connections are no longer such a problem. The reason DC (enabled by inverters able to convert to high voltage back to dc) loses less power than AC is that 50/60Hz AC loses energy as electromagnetic radiation, whereas dc doesn’t

Wombat

Master Contributor
High voltage DC interconnects lose about 3% per 1000km.
So long connections are no longer such a problem. The reason DC (enabled by inverters able to convert to high voltage back to dc) loses less power than AC is that 50/60Hz AC loses energy as electromagnetic radiation, whereas dc doesn’t

Not there yet, maybe. Not a big issue at this stage when there are bigger energy(fish) to fry. e.g. waste.

See conclusion.

Anyhow, EVs will currently utilise charging facilities at their location, whatever they are. Yes it can be improved.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not there yet, maybe. Not a big issue at this stage when there are bigger energy(fish) to fry. e.g. waste.

See conclusion.

Anyhow, EVs will currently utilise charging facilities at their location, whatever they are. Yes it can be improved.

Your link actually isn't pertinent for the grid. They were using local distribution as the model. So there were no long distance transmission losses.
In a local distribution environment with part AC and part DC they are comparable in efficiency.

Information I've seen indicate the break even point is about 300 miles. Beyond that DC has pretty much all the advantages.

DC is also superior for submerged undersea power links. It has become the de facto method for such uses.
Here is an example where Long Island is linked by DC power over an undersea cable. There are numerous inter-country links over submerged cables in Europe as well that use DC.

http://www.abb.com/cawp/seitp202/C1256C290031524BC125694B00219679.aspx

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Your link actually isn't pertinent for the grid. They were using local distribution as the model. So there were no long distance transmission losses.
In a local distribution environment with part AC and part DC they are comparable in efficiency.

Information I've seen indicate the break even point is about 300 miles. Beyond that DC has pretty much all the advantages.

DC is also superior for submerged undersea power links. It has become the de facto method for such uses.
Here is an example where Long Island is linked by DC power over an undersea cable. There are numerous inter-country links over submerged cables in Europe as well that use DC.

http://www.abb.com/cawp/seitp202/C1256C290031524BC125694B00219679.aspx
So Edison was right in the end. DC may yet win over the executioner's current...

Dismayed

I was careful not to say it was any worse than a petrol vehicle (diesel not so dangerous?). Nevertheless, anything like these batteries scares me a bit because it is not as mature a technology as petrol.

There is still a sense (in my mind) that the people promoting electric vehicles are very gung-ho about it and, even worse, that governments are giving them an easy time with approvals, etc. because of the virtue signalling opportunities they provide.

Battery technology is improving rapidly. Solid Energy Systems is already beginning production of lithium metal batteries with solid electrolytes. Energy density is 2X that of lithium ion batteries, and the electrolyte will not burn, so they are much safer.

http://www.solidenergysystems.com/

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the pleasure of driving my brother's model 3 today. It did have a tail light get condensation in it. Which they replaced. No other major issues. It is a nice driving car. It has more usable power than most cars. By that it has plenty of power, but truly seems to get it effortlessly with no impressive noise, or gear changing etc. Not the most powerful or fastest car I've driven, but none get the power with so little fanfare. Is the calmest vehicle I've driven at extra-legal speeds.

Basic fit and finish on is was quite good. It has no excessive wind noise. Very nearly none. That you can hear any is because there is no engine noise no resonance in the cabin from the engine activity. There is some minor tire noise, but again you'd not notice were it not electric. There are a handful of minor design choices I'd like done differently, but that is true of any car. I would say the view out the back is awful for backing up. Too high and the roof pillars narrow toward the rear. So you'll make use of the rear camera.

Overall a good result by Tesla. There are some ways other comparably priced cars seem a bit fancier more upscale, but then there are several ways those other cars simply aren't comparable as they lack what is inherent in the design of good electric drivetrains and cars.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We finally picked up my wife's Model 3 yesterday, three weeks after we rejected delivery due to a small dent on the driver's side rear quarterpanel and what looked like an unpainted speck on the passenger side rear quarter panel.

IMG_9380.jpg

We went through the Tesla Model 3 delivery checklist (yes, that's a thing) and everything was in order.

The weirdest thing to get used to is simply turning the thing on and off. I mean not turning it on and off. Get in and go, get out when you're done driving and walk away. I think that's more of an adjustment than the screen. The factory nav seems very good, equivalent in function to Waze and as good as or better looking than Apple Maps. It was overwhelmed by the task we set it to yesterday: get us to a small venue for a comedy show (Hasan Minhaj - he killed - highly recommend you catch him if he's coming, and watch the presumptive Netflix special when it comes out) in the face of ad hoc road closures and reroutes and massive pedestrian traffic headed to a Beyonce/Jay-Z concert and a Falcons preseason game. Waze and Apple Maps fared no better, though. When we went back to her car a few people wanted to talk to us about it.

Other than that, the only thing it's missing is CarPlay. Playing music from a phone is a pretty tedious process, because by design it hides your phone. Slacker streaming is built in. She'll figure it out.

Stereo sounds good enough, from what I heard from the passenger seat. It does have a bug where the album art doesn't always match what's playing.

The other thing that didn't we didn't realize until it came home is how wide it is: 73" plus mirrors. Her old Civic was 4" narrower. The Tesla seems to have a narrower turning radius, though. No engine shoehorned sideways between the front wheels.

I have not driven it yet. I'm a little afraid to, TBH. I'm afraid if I do I'll want one of my own.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the report. Was just reading that the Model 3 is very expensive to insure, almost as much as Porsche 911! Have you checked?

Through Ameriprise (Costco) it costs a whopping $36 a year more than a 2011 Honda Civic for two drivers with clean records.
If a 911 costs that little to insure, I'm buying one tomorrow! :)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I didn't know Costco sold insurance. Is it any good?

No idea, TBH. I also hope not to find out. We've had them for a couple years for home and auto now. My only contact besides paying the bill has been to take off my wife's old car and add this one.

Their rates are really excellent, comparing apples to apples. I just did a comparison with a Farmer's agent last week. Their car insurance was only a little higher, but their homeowners insurance was much more expensive. You can also pay by credit card if you're a slut for travel points like we are. I believe they even take AMEX.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The article I read said the average across the country was $2,500/year due to high cost of fixing the body if it gets in an accident.

That might be just the S and X, because they have more aluminum in the body and chassis. I think the 3 is mostly steel.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Your wife has a nice smile, thank you for sharing.
I feel the same as you; I'm afraid to drive one because I wouldn't be able to not purchase it. Right on, it's the way to go...electric.

As for the insurance it's only a safe contribution to the economy.
It's like a clean bill of health, it's like being the leader of tomorrow's better society...for the children. That's the positive thinking I spin it with; I paid it once per year and I don't think about it. Where I live it's expensive enough, three times more than my native province.
I pay more for the views on the ocean and mountains and lakes and forests. I play more too.

Congrats, I like the blue color, like the ocean under the sky viewed from space.

Last edited:
Top Bottom