• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix HPA-3B a good choice?

xevman

So I'm looking for a true balanced headphone amp to pair with my Topping DX7s as the output impedance is too high for a lot of my headphones. I stumbled across this Matrix HPA-3b which seems to have excellent specs quality components and is also well priced. Anyone had any experience with this particular product or any other Matrix products?

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
IIRC it got an endorsement from Torq at SBAF, which is quite a feat as it is from a guy that despises most Chinese-made audio products.

OP
xevman

xevman

It seems like a really good product at least on paper, top shelf components inside. I just find it odd how it isn't more popular.

FireLion

I have the HPA-2C and it's more powerful than my NFB.11. I have been opamp rolling as I didn't like the stock sound.

OP
xevman

xevman

Just placed an order for one. All my local retailers in Australia had none avaliable so I had to get it though Aliexpress. Will post impressions when the product arrives.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just placed an order for one. All my local retailers in Australia had none avaliable so I had to get it though Aliexpress. Will post impressions when the product arrives.

I have one and like it. Bought it used and already modded with the lower voltage (15v) regulators for op amp rolling. I like it, as it drives my HE560s with much more aplomb than others I had before. The others ran out of steam and were just loud enough at maximum volume settings, HPA-3 has quite a bit more headroom. And since my DAC and my power amps are all balanced, and my cans have balanced cables, I wanted a balanced head amp, as well.

There is a bit of very low level hiss at the +20dB setting, but none at all at the other two settings. I use mine at +10dB.

OP
xevman

xevman

Doesn't bother me, don't use IEMS so i doubt i'll ever use the super low gain setting. How is the volume control channel balance?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't bother me, don't use IEMS so i doubt i'll ever use the super low gain setting. How is the volume control channel balance?

Balance is fine, but I didn't actually measure it at various volume settings. I usually control volume from my PC, so use the head amp volume control at a single position, just above the loudest setting where I'd want to listen.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
There's a long thread on Head-Fi about this amp and about the Audeze Deckard there's another longer thread to read about. :)
Yes, the 2 amps are siblings, so you trust Audeze then you could trust the Matrix as well.

HPA-3B is beefy, sounds very good, with a great soundstage when in balanced operation, but it's kinda hot (about 50C, which is normal for a Class-A amplifier).

P.S.: However, after some time I like to dismantle electronics and start changing parts and modifying the internals a little bit, as I did here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/int...review-to-follow.770610/page-21#post-14121897. :)

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a long thread on Head-Fi about this amp and about the Audeze Deckard there's another longer thread to read about. :)
Yes, the 2 amps are siblings, so you trust Audeze then you could trust the Matrix as well.

HPA-3B is beefy, sounds very good, with a great soundstage when in balanced operation, but it's kinda hot (about 50C, which is normal for a Class-A amplifier).

P.S.: However, after some time I like to dismantle electronics and start changing parts and modifying the internals a little bit, as I did here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/int...review-to-follow.770610/page-21#post-14121897. :)

The 15v mod has helped reduce the amount of heat. While the amp is still warm to the touch, it’s no longer hot.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I got mine via Massdrop. It sounds really good to me but as for why, I can only say it doesn't colour the sound in a significant way (to my ears at least, YMMV) yet delivers crisp output with plenty of power to spare.

There is a bit of very low level hiss at the +20dB setting, but none at all at the other two settings. I use mine at +10dB.

What headphones are you driving at these setting ?

Using my HE4XX, I use mine on balanced at +5dB gain and the volume setting at about 12 o'clock. If using the HD6XX, its closer to 10 o'clock. And both are already too loud to hear anything outside of the cans despite them being open cans.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What headphones are you driving at these setting ?

Using my HE4XX, I use mine on balanced at +5dB gain and the volume setting at about 12 o'clock. If using the HD6XX, its closer to 10 o'clock. And both are already too loud to hear anything outside of the cans despite them being open cans.

HE560s.

HD650s I can run on the lowest gain setting with this amp and still have plenty of headroom. HE560s was one of the main reasons I got HPA-3.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
You must be listening to them pretty loud ! ?

The sensitivity differences between the HE560 and the HE4XX is only "3dB" according to Hifiman's published specs.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
The 15v mod has helped reduce the amount of heat. While the amp is still warm to the touch, it’s no longer hot.

So you did the 15V mod yourself too? I mostly did it myself to match more opamps, but indeed...the temps are lower now and I'm comfortable with +/-15V instead of +-18V. However, it's a reversible mod anyway...

OP
xevman

xevman

Does this amp have a phase splitter? I notice it comes with XLR to RCA adapters to convert for single ended so I assume it does.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
It’s the impedance difference, I suspect, I was surprised by this, as well. I do not listen loud, my normal listening level rarely exceeds 80dB.

I'll be surprised if it was. a 10 Ohm difference is hardly noticeable even for handphone jacks.

I suspect the HE560 has an actual sensitivity level closer to 80 dB instead if the drive requirements are so significantly different from the HE4XX / 400i.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Does this amp have a phase splitter? I notice it comes with XLR to RCA adapters to convert for single ended so I assume it does.

Why phase splitter? No. The RCA adapter lets you plug your source to V+ of the amplifier and this why the output power if 4 times lower in single -ended operation.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll be surprised if it was. a 10 Ohm difference is hardly noticeable even for handphone jacks.

I suspect the HE560 has an actual sensitivity level closer to 80 dB instead if the drive requirements are so significantly different from the HE4XX / 400i.

I think the difference is much more, almost 7x, between 300 and 45ohm. Also, sensitivity difference is more than 10dB.

Edit: this is between HE560 and HD650 which I can compare directly

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I was referring to the HE560 and the HE4XX in terms of sensitivity and impedance values.

Top Bottom