• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Try eating with your ears or tasting with your fingers. These senses share commonalities, but they differ for a good reason. They put us in touch with some important yet different aspects of reality.

You've been around this loop long enough to know better. You first reach fidelity and then are free to season to taste. So there is no gulag nor crusade nor sacrifice of pleasure. The gulag is confusing one for the other and uselessly pursuing what isn't there. Constraining yourself in ways that are unnecessary to enjoy your senses.

I await your next rhetorical response.
I often give “ tasting with my fingers “ a good go especially with Indian food.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But what if you can only use the one ingredient, the tomato no other seasonings in order to stay true to the "fidelity" of the tomato? We would be sacrificing allot to stay true to the tomato. In the beginning, there was only the tomato, the seasoning to enhance flavor came later to elicit better overall "sound" I mean taste.

The audiophile approach would be to put something in the soil to alter the taste of the resulting tomato. Declare it a better tomato. Declare anyone not using this approach was going to get an inferior tomato that cannot be made right. Declare anyone with a different taste in a tomato inferior in their appreciation of true quality tomato taste. When all you need to do is grow the tomato and add seasoning leaving people with different taste the option to season in other ways or not at all.

garbulky

Major Contributor
The audiophile approach would be to put something in the soil to alter the taste of the resulting tomato. Declare it a better tomato. Declare anyone not using this approach was going to get an inferior tomato that cannot be made right. Declare anyone with a different taste in a tomato inferior in their appreciation of true quality tomato taste. When all you need to do is grow the tomato and add seasoning leaving people with different taste the option to season in other ways or not at all.
Well see that's the problem. Here the seasoning is on the OUTSIDE of the tomatoe. While if you put it in the water, the tomatoe takes it up and it embodies the very essence of the tomatoe.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well see that's the problem. Here the seasoning is on the OUTSIDE of the tomatoe. While if you put it in the water, the tomatoe takes it up and it embodies the very essence of the tomatoe.
I’m officially banning food analogies now lol

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So we must live in an audio gulag, dark and devoid of color?
The color is inbuilt in the recording. You adding your own random color in some random fashion makes little sense.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Oh no, the audiophile approach would be to put the plant seeds in space or 18 months before housing the ripe tomato ( on the vine naturally ) next to the hadron collider for 24 hours..

Clearly you don’t know what a proper tomato tastes like ..

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
The audiophile approach would be to put something in the soil to alter the taste of the resulting tomato. Declare it a better tomato. Declare anyone not using this approach was going to get an inferior tomato that cannot be made right. Declare anyone with a different taste in a tomato inferior in their appreciation of true quality tomato taste.

When all you need to do is grow the tomato and add seasoning leaving people with different taste the option to season in other ways or not at all.
The first part is your, shall I say, biased interpretation.

The second part is more to my thinking on the subject. Not everyone that enjoys listening should be tarred with your "audiophile" brush.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The color is inbuilt in the recording. You adding your own random color in some random fashion makes little sense.
This has nothing to do with tomato’s though, please keep to the subject matter being discussed..

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The first part is your, shall I say, biased interpretation.

The second part is more to my thinking on the subject. Not everyone that enjoys listening should be tarred with your "audiophile" brush.

Keep your hands off my audiophile brush. I didn't tar or even paint anyone. That is your bias showing. Implying only certain people are enjoying music.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Keep your hands off my audiophile brush. I didn't tar or even paint anyone. That is your bias showing. Implying only certain people are enjoying music.
You seem to use "audiophile" as a pejorative. Or at least a fanatical extremist.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I let the chef season the food and start with that, then season to taste as needed, knowing I am altering the chef's original intent. Which may have been to create something suitable for the most patrons with the expectation they would season it to suit their own tastes. If I don't like it I go someplace else (or let my wife know, if she's the cook, but very carefully...) I would not throw salt on it without trying it first; I prefer to try it in its original flavor (fidelity).

I prefer to start with a system having as low of coloration as possible, be it nonlinear distortion or frequency response modified by the room, to provide a reference for the source material. If I want to add EQ, euphonics, or whatever I can, but I do not assume everything must be modified, and in the same way. I've never quite understood folk who get a plate of food and immediately start throwing salt on it before the first taste.

FWIWFM - Don

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
... am I a tomato, would I know if I was? What is a tomato? Do you guys take the seeds out when making pasta grevy ? If so is the tomato then less of a tomato?

You emasculate your tomatoes? You'll never get the true essence of tomato-tude that way.

derp1n

That atomicbob character is a pretty obvious Schitt shill if you dig through his history. How can anyone claim those levels of detail differences between DACs with a straight face? Let alone someone claiming to be an audio engineer.

Wombat

Master Contributor
What do audio forums have in common with lemon trees?

man-peeing-on-lemon-tree.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That atomicbob character is a pretty obvious Schitt shill if you dig through his history. How can anyone claim those levels of detail differences between DACs with a straight face? Let alone someone claiming to be an audio engineer.
Wow. I wish I had seen that post prior to the talk he gave out our local AES meeting:

1529369379815.png

I was wondering why he always praises them in measurements no matter how bad. What he says is complete nonsense.

Thanks for finding that post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom