• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

measuring time aligment in speakers

CCR-25

Hello,

I have a horn speaker by Avantgarde, I wanted to measure time aligment on the drivers, what software would I use? Mac preferred.

Thank you,

C

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Easiest is open sound meter (free) or smaart (not free) to measure phase directly with an xlr measurement microphone and interface that allows loopbacks.

REW can do it but it is challenging to get good results in my experience without some loopback, so might as well use open sound meter then.

That is if I am interpreting your question appropriately.

You can also look at the impulse/step response via REW if you can get it to come out clean. Multiple peaks would be from the multiple drivers.

OP
C

CCR-25

What I’m trying to do is find out if by moving the tweeter and back and forth I can align all the drivers better than done by the manufacturer, which I believe wasn’t at that time putting much attention to time alignment. I’ll look into the software and get a hold microphone which I can plug into my laptop. Thank you

puppet

I always use this method ..
Just pay attention to the reverse null part while positioning the driver.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just came across with this thread.

Just for your reference, I recently could establish my rather primitive but highly reliable method(s) in measuring and adjusting the time alignment with 0.1 msec precision; if you would have interests please visit my posts on my multichannel multi-way multi-driver multi-amplifier stereo project;

- Precision measurement and adjustment of time alignment for speaker (SP) units: Part-1_ Precision pulse wave matching method: #493
- Precision measurement and adjustment of time alignment for speaker (SP) units: Part-2_ Energy peak matching method: #494
- Precision measurement and adjustment of time alignment for speaker (SP) units: Part-3_ Precision single sine wave matching method in 0.1 msec accuracy: #504, #507, #520

Top Bottom