• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Microwave knocked out wi-fi to streamer. Solution found.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not so sure about it either - it is getting old but all the seals, panels etc are perfect to look at. Maybe I'll test a few friend's microwaves and see what the deal is.

The LF field detector pinned into the red when I took it under some local 275kV transmission lines and held it up. That was maybe 40M below the lines.
The low tire pressure sensor on my vehicle goes off in one of my tires when I drive under some towers crossing a road in my area. Happens every time. Another line like this it sometimes will and sometimes won't. Always the left front sensor only.

D

Deleted member 48726

The low tire pressure sensor on my vehicle goes off in one of my tires when I drive under some towers crossing a road in my area. Happens every time. Another line like this it sometimes will and sometimes won't. Always the left front sensor only.

When I pull out the hairs in my left nostril my right eyelid blinks involuntarily but water runs from both eyes.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I said above the Denon is only 2.4 GHz. I am wrong now, perhaps after some update. I looked on my router page at the clients on the home network, and there was the HEOS on 5 GHz, channel 149. All in all, the Denon streamer has been just fine, after the usual starting hiccups when I first got it.

In the interest of science, I should reverse the change I made to the 2.4 GHz channel setting and run the microwave, but in the interest of getting back to the music, I haven't done it.
I always run my 2.4 GHz on Channel 1 or 11, after analyzing what the neighbors are using.

BenjaminB

WiFi / WLAN, mwave ovens, bluetooth and a lot of other things use the 2.4 GHz ISM-band which has 100 MHz BW centered at 2.45 GHz (ISM = Industry, Scientific and Medical). Thus mwave ovens are said to use 2.45 GHz but is is probably whatever in that band, most likely centered at 2.45 GHz but BW varies.
WiFi has also got other frequency allocations, most know are the 5 (and recently 6) GHz bands. Older audio equipment use to only use 2.4 GHz which unfortunately is very crowded. WiFi has also allocations ~60 GHz, we will burn that bridge when we arrive.

It is wellknown since decades that mwave ovens may interfere with other users in the 2.4 GHz ISM band. As OP report, one can try to use a fixed channel, preferably at the borders of the 2.4 GHz band. If it is possible to move to 5 GHz that is much better for many reasons.

Are then these mwave ovens a health hazards? In most cases not! Restorer may of course ditch his oven, question is just what qualities the next oven will have -- mwave leakage is unaviodable in equipment like these consumer products with a mwave generator marked as ~1 kW (rated power). RF power decreases fast with distance, geometrically it goes as ~1/r**2, path loss in the air further reduces the rf field strength. Health safety limits have varied over time, al have been set with a considerable margin. - I wouldn't worry.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Restorer may of course ditch his oven, question is just what qualities the next oven will have

I'm looking for one with at least 30 levels of heating, a direct drive platter, LED internal illumination, WiFi/Bluetooth and Apple Cook/Create integration, a self closing door with integral leakage detection and self cleaning, GPS real-time clock and a USB port for uploading custom recipes and firmware updates.

Nothing special really.

Music1969

Major Contributor
All I know is my multi-field RF meter goes off the scale into the red from the other side of the room when I turn on the microwave. I no longer peer through the door anymore...
yeh if im even within 2m of any microwave, i start to get a headache.

Since i realised this, soon as i hit START now, i walk 30feet away until its finished

It costs nothing to take 10 steps away and back

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing special really.
I’m half tempted to find you a fitting model ;) Actually most of this stuff isn’t very special nowadays, except that firmware updates are done over WiFi ;) GPS though.. that’s a tough one. Maybe just slap an AirTag on it ;)

OP
Chazz6

Chazz6

... So... we have the microwave in a band that was made long before the invention of wifi and and other low power remote control devices existed. They have to occupy the same band. More and more communication in that same band as well. ... I am amazed how well wireless communication still can work fine under these conditions.
Wi-fi carries digital information. So long as 1 and 0 can be distinguished, all is good. Maybe that is one reason why wi-fi and microwave ovens co-exist as well as they do.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
If only it were that simple but in essence it is a digital connection so can be made robust.
Wi-fi is pretty robust by design. The fact that microwaves existed first was not the first concern when the protocols and HW was created.

Top Bottom