• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mivera Audio DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivera

Major Contributor
@Mivera when do we get to see measurements of your dac? :D

I have 1 left. Buy it and measure it if you want. Just make sure to use it with the matching Superstream streamer as there's no galvanic isolation after the USB interface. So it's sensitive to the noise of the USB source. Why did I build it this way? Because the GI chips add 1000x more jitter to the clock chain than the clocks we use. So it made using clocks of this caliber redundant. Unlike most DAC's, we only use 1 single clock for USB interface and the DAC. And we use no prescaling or PLL generation. So the jitter the DAC chip sees is damn near what is measured direct off the clock pin. We discovered it was a better approach to just feed the DAC a clean USB signal to begin with so the GI wasn't required.

However this is old news. We moved onto a much better fiber Ethernet interface for our next gen products. All the products on my website have been discontinued.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However this is old news. We moved onto a much better fiber Ethernet interface for our next gen products. All the products on my website have been discontinued.
When do the new products debut? Will they be Ethernet direct into the Dac? Roon Ready?

Mivera

Major Contributor
When do the new products debut? Will they be Ethernet direct into the Dac? Roon Ready?

All Mivera products moving forward will be custom only. And they will be all in 1 units. Streamer/DAC/Pre with optional amps.

Mivera

Major Contributor
That's too bad since not all can use off the shelf amps.

If the optional internal amp option isn't chosen, external amps can be used. But it will likely just degrade sound and add expense going that route.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the optional internal amp option isn't chosen, external amps can be used. But it will likely just degrade sound and add expense going that route.
It won't. I'd much rather use the Crown DCi for the M2's. I own a pair of NC500's that sit in my closet unused. :D

Mivera

Major Contributor
It won't. I'd much rather use the Crown DCi for the M2's. I own a pair of NC500's that sit in my closet unused. :D

You just have the raw NC-500 modules? No wonder they sit in your closet. They require input buffers and power supplies to make a complete amp from them.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You just have the raw NC-500 modules? No wonder they sit in your closet. They require input buffers and power supplies to make a complete amp from them.
No, they're assembled and ready to go. No use for them. Finally sold my Balanced Bent Audio TAP-X too along with my Silver AVC's. The ideal piece now would be a dac/pre that measures exceptionally well that doesn't cost a fortune.

Mivera

Major Contributor
No, they're assembled and ready to go. No use for them. Finally sold my Balanced Bent Audio TAP-X too along with my Silver AVC's. The ideal piece now would be a dac/pre that measures exceptionally well that doesn't cost a fortune.

So you built the amps yourself? What did you use for input buffers and power supplies? I'm on my 8th gen NC-500 design now. What Nord uses was my first gen design. It took 8 gens of tweaks to really make them shine.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you built the amps yourself? What did you use for input buffers and power supplies? I'm on my 8th gen NC-500 design now. What Nord uses was my first gen design. It took 8 gens of tweaks to really make them shine.
No, long story that I won't get into here. Input buffer is a Bruno design from Hypex though.

Mivera

Major Contributor
No, long story that I won't get into here. Input buffer is a Bruno design from Hypex though.

Ah so the LM4562 based one. Ok I can see why it's in your closet now. :)

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah so the LM4562 based one. Ok I can see why it's in your closet now. :)
I don't think you're understanding that the M2 requires an amp/dsp so the options are limited unless one wants to use the BSS which I refuse to do. After spending a day at Harman along with the engineers I know what's best. :)

Mivera

Major Contributor
I don't think you're understanding that the M2 requires an amp/dsp so the options are limited unless one wants to use the BSS which I refuse to do. After spending a day at Harman along with the engineers I know what's best. :)

Ahh okay. So nothing really to do with the quality of the amp. Just your application. There's a couple Purestream DAC's in NC. Perhaps you know the guys who have them? I heard a rumour one of the guys donated a supply to Amir to measure recently.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct. I don't know any of those guys, well, unless they bought of the dacs and never said which is possible. Why do you not post measurements if you're pro objective? What will the new price point be for the dac/pre (fully balanced)?

Mivera

Major Contributor
Correct. I don't know any of those guys, well, unless they bought of the dacs and never said which is possible. Why do you not post measurements if you're pro objective? What will the new price point be for the dac/pre (fully balanced)?

I'm only pro objective if the measurements are taken properly. Im not from the camp that an APx machine can tell us everything using the standard tests everyone uses. For example, the J-test isn't valid for anything but what it was originally designed for. Measuring jitter introduced by SPDIF cables. Here's how the Jtest is described by the inventor of it:

IMG_1172.jpg

http://www.eltest.hu/pdf/dsa_1_el.pdf

The inventor of it clearly knows the intended application, yet it's still heavily abused by testing USB DAC's and high res capable DAC's 25 years later.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For example, the J-test isn't valid for anything but what it was originally designed for.
What do you think would be good for measuring jitter in the output of the DAC?

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm only pro objective if the measurements are taken properly. Im not from the camp that an APx machine can tell us everything using the standard tests everyone uses. For example, the J-test isn't valid for anything but what it was originally designed for. Measuring jitter introduced by SPDIF cables. Here's how the Jtest is described by the inventor of it:

View attachment 8248

http://www.eltest.hu/pdf/dsa_1_el.pdf

The inventor of it clearly knows the intended application, yet it's still heavily abused by testing USB DAC's and high res capable DAC's 25 years later.
Fair enough. So this begs the question, what is your suite of measurements and why aren't you posting them on your site or here? I'm not trying to be confrontational but must say I'm curious since you're selling something and am pro measurements based on your comments on this forum.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Question: on scale 1 to 10 with 10 being 100%, how much do you believe in the knowledge of said inventor's understanding of jitter audibility?

Mivera

Major Contributor
What do you think would be good for measuring jitter in the output of the DAC?

First of all you need to know the phase noise of the clock right before the conversion to analog. Following that you'll need the proper gear in order to find how different phase noise levels in the digital domain affect the analog domain. It will take some experimentation. For now I'm comfortable with the digital domain tests. However once I get the Microsemi 5125A I'm going to play around and see if I can get some kind of correlation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom