• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop LAN Review

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
vlcsnap-2023-05-28-19h17m35s748.jpg

Welcome to Cuckoo Studio review. I'm Anzol. The following content is presented from the perspective of a mixing engineer.

Measurement Conditions Explanation And Chart Interpretation Of Cuckoo Studio Review

If you prefer video version:

We received LAN sent by MOONDROP, and we will take a comprehensive look at its performance. Similarly to other MOONDROP products, the LAN’s packaging features an anime-style design, with a minimalist silver and white color scheme for both the packaging and the product itself. However, upon taking the LAN out of the packaging, it becomes apparent that its appearance is akin to that of monitoring IEMs, with its one-piece, matte silver stainless steel housing and a small, glossy symmetric graphic embellishment. The LAN’s design aesthetic is perfectly suited for users who prefer minimalist designs.

vlcsnap-2023-05-28-19h11m37s678.jpg
vlcsnap-2023-05-28-19h12m23s592.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-05-28-19h12m57s404.jpg

The LAN is designed to have interchangeable cables, and the included cable matches the LAN’s aesthetics perfectly. The connector and splitter are both designed to be exquisite and integrated, making the out-of-the-box state very satisfying for users.

vlcsnap-2023-05-28-19h13m17s263.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-05-28-19h13m29s457.jpg

Their weight of 8.8g per earphone is substantial, as MOONDROP is willing to offer an all-metal body design with their low-priced products, such as JIU and now with the LAN, which provides a sensation that goes beyond its price range.

未命名_2.38.2.jpg

Let’s take a look at its sound performance.

Frequency response

Using the harman2018 as the target, the LAN achieves a remarkably flat response, with an overall fluctuation of no more than 2dB from 20Hz to 8KHz. Above 8KHz, the response may vary depending on the insertion depth of the earphone. With a shallow insertion, the LAN has about two high-frequency peaks, with both peaks being above 10KHz, belonging to the air feeling frequency band and will not cause sharp listening sensations. The LAN’s low frequencies perfectly match the 2018 target curve, suitable for most users. It’s a headphone that’s flat but with additional airiness.

Vertical frequency response graph: Why is it flipped vertically?

LAN freq.jpg

2023.5.31 :add rew data

raw & harman 2018 OE
LAN RAW 3.jpg

to 2018 compensation:
LAN TO HARMAN 2018 WITH BASS.jpg

3.Usage of compensation curve: Why is it OE 2018?

Distortion
There’s almost no harmonic distortion to be found on the LAN when listening at a normal volume of 86dB. Furthermore, it can be seen that all distortion levels are below the room noisefloor when switching to SPL mode, and any distortion generated at high volume levels will be almost entirely masked by ambient noise. Its low distortion performance is extraordinary for a product at only $39.99. The left and right channel distortion almost remain identical, and its quality control is without any issues.

Harmonic Distortion graph: From 86dB to 104dB.

dis LAN 86DB&96DB&104DB L.jpg

dis spl LAN 86DB&96DB&104DB L.jpg

dis LAN 104DB L&R.jpg

2023.5.31 :add rew data

86dBSPL:
LAN DIS 86DB.jpg

96dBSPL:
LAN DIS 96DB.jpg

104dBSPL:
LAN DIS 104DB R.jpg

Let’s enter the Cuckoo Studio mixing space.

5.3D Mixing Space: representation of sound spatialization.

flat frequency response makes its sound objective and neutral. The volume sensations of important instruments are maintained without any exaggeration or attenuation. The high frequencies will give percussion instruments an sibilance sound fuller, but the addition of gain will not introduce grittiness or sharpness. The left and right consistency is excellent, allowing for solid central imaging. Its remarkable distortion-free performance under normal listening levels and non-colored sound characteristics make its playback clear and three-dimensional, allowing one to hear all song details without any additional sound tinting or smudging sensations.
LAN-3D-Space-GIF.gif

LAN-3D-Space-side-GIF.gif

Subjectively, the LAN has the perfect amount of transient sharpness for my ear characteristics. The high frequencies’ airiness gives an energetic impression without introducing much objectivity interference during monitoring tasks. Its metal housing and the entire set of cables give off a sense of product assurance. Psychologically, I always feel like I’m listening to a relatively high-end headphone.

vlcsnap-2023-05-28-19h13m12s330.jpg

This year’s MOONDROP product in the 30-50$ price range, the LAN, surprised us with its overall quality. In some cases, high cost-effectiveness headphones can achieve impressive sound quality but lack premium body material and design. Alternatively, some headphones have exquisite appearances, but their sound quality is not objective enough. The LAN, however, delivers in both aspects, presenting a thorough and convincing resolution of such issues. It is hard not to like these earphones and it is truly a product that exceeds expectations within its price range.

vlcsnap-2023-05-28-19h13m46s570.jpg

This is Cuckoo Studio review. Please stay tuned. I will continue to explore the secrets of headphones with you.

vlcsnap-2023-05-28-19h17m56s142.jpg

Attachments

• LAN DIS 86DB SPL.jpg
    LAN DIS 86DB SPL.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
OP
Cuckoo Studio

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
Raw data for ASR:
LAN L+R.jpg

This is the frequency response with moderate insertion depth, which should be similar to the actual usage scenario. However, in this case, it's difficult for me to maintain consistent left and right insertion depth, so I'm providing an additional left-right comparison with deep insertion depth,For checking left-right consistency only.

LAN L+R 深插.jpg

and to harman 2018:

LAN TO HARMAN 2018 WITH BASS.jpg

markanini

Major Contributor
I've been maining mine for a few months now, just with some light bass boost EQ. The treble responce is the standout feature IMO. I don't miss a syllable, yet I can crank it up without assaulting my ears. Scratches my itch, without breaking the skin. Well done, Moondrop.

Maiky76

These scores are only indicative as the data was retrieved by scanning the figure for "moderate insertion depth".

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit. YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169
  • https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-6#post-992119
  • NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.
  • Occluding IE devices generally must have very good fitting/seal in the user's ear canal for best performance.
    please spend a few minutes to pick up the best ear tip... Be sure to perform this step otherwise the FR/Score/EQ presented here are just worthless.
  • 1. more bass = better seal
    2. More isolation from the outside world = better fit
    3. Comfort
Very good L/R match.

I have generated two EQs, the APO config files are attached.

Score no EQ: 78.2%
Score with EQ Full: 96.6%
Score with EQ Redux: 96.6%

Code:
Moondrop LAN Harman Full EQ
May302023-140623

Preamp: -6.9 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 29.58 Hz Gain 3.40 dB Q 0.42
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 220.33 Hz Gain -1.43 dB Q 0.99
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 733.91 Hz Gain 0.61 dB Q 1.40
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1625.61 Hz Gain -2.09 dB Q 1.56
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3386.21 Hz Gain 1.39 dB Q 2.01
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6517.42 Hz Gain 7.07 dB Q 2.34
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 12747.38 Hz Gain -7.42 dB Q 4.97

Moondrop LAN Harman Full EQ .png

One More EQ with 2 fewer Biquads (total 5) for those with more limited EQ resources.

Code:
Moondrop LAN Harman Redux EQ
May302023-153111

Preamp: -7 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 31.39 Hz Gain 3.27 dB Q 0.41
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 797.84 Hz Gain -2.76 dB Q 0.21
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 659.45 Hz Gain 3.11 dB Q 0.87
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3411.87 Hz Gain 2.89 dB Q 1.8
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 6442.12 Hz Gain 7.3 dB Q 2.6

Moondrop LAN Harman Redux EQ.png

Attachments

• Moondrop LAN Harman Full EQ .txt
    414 bytes · Views: 96
  • Moondrop LAN Harman Redux EQ.txt
    306 bytes · Views: 81
Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 288767

Welcome to Cuckoo Studio review. I'm Anzol. The following content is presented from the perspective of a mixing engineer.

If prefer video version:

We received LAN sent by MOONDROP, and we will take a comprehensive look at its performance. Similarly to other MOONDROP products, the LAN’s packaging features an anime-style design, with a minimalist silver and white color scheme for both the packaging and the product itself. However, upon taking the LAN out of the packaging, it becomes apparent that its appearance is akin to that of monitoring IEMs, with its one-piece, matte silver stainless steel housing and a small, glossy symmetric graphic embellishment. The LAN’s design aesthetic is perfectly suited for users who prefer minimalist designs.

View attachment 288768View attachment 288769
View attachment 288770

The LAN is designed to have interchangeable cables, and the included cable matches the LAN’s aesthetics perfectly. The connector and splitter are both designed to be exquisite and integrated, making the out-of-the-box state very satisfying for users.

View attachment 288771
View attachment 288772

Their weight of 8.8g per earphone is substantial, as MOONDROP is willing to offer an all-metal body design with their low-priced products, such as JIU and now with the LAN, which provides a sensation that goes beyond its price range.

View attachment 288773

Let’s take a look at its sound performance.

Frequency response
using the harman2018 as the target, the LAN achieves a remarkably flat response, with an overall fluctuation of no more than 2dB from 20Hz to 8KHz. Above 8KHz, the response may vary depending on the insertion depth of the earphone. With a shallow insertion, the LAN has about two high-frequency peaks, with both peaks being above 10KHz, belonging to the air feeling frequency band and will not cause sharp listening sensations. The LAN’s low frequencies perfectly match the 2018 target curve, suitable for most users. It’s a headphone that’s flat but with additional airiness.

View attachment 288774

Distortion
There’s almost no harmonic distortion to be found on the LAN when listening at a normal volume of 86dB. Furthermore, it can be seen that all distortion levels are below the room noisefloor when switching to SPL mode, and any distortion generated at high volume levels will be almost entirely masked by ambient noise. Its low distortion performance is extraordinary for a product at only $39.99. The left and right channel distortion almost remain identical, and its quality control is without any issues.

View attachment 288775
View attachment 288776
View attachment 288777

Let’s enter the Cuckoo Studio mixing space.
flat frequency response makes its sound objective and neutral. The volume sensations of important instruments are maintained without any exaggeration or attenuation. The high frequencies will give percussion instruments an sibilance sound fuller, but the addition of gain will not introduce grittiness or sharpness. The left and right consistency is excellent, allowing for solid central imaging. Its remarkable distortion-free performance under normal listening levels and non-colored sound characteristics make its playback clear and three-dimensional, allowing one to hear all song details without any additional sound tinting or smudging sensations.
View attachment 288778
View attachment 288779

Subjectively, the LAN has the perfect amount of transient sharpness for my ear characteristics. The high frequencies’ airiness gives an energetic impression without introducing much objectivity interference during monitoring tasks. Its metal housing and the entire set of cables give off a sense of product assurance. Psychologically, I always feel like I’m listening to a relatively high-end headphone.

View attachment 288780

This year’s MOONDROP product in the 30-50$ price range, the LAN, surprised us with its overall quality. In some cases, high cost-effectiveness headphones can achieve impressive sound quality but lack premium body material and design. Alternatively, some headphones have exquisite appearances, but their sound quality is not objective enough. The LAN, however, delivers in both aspects, presenting a thorough and convincing resolution of such issues. It is hard not to like these earphones and it is truly a product that exceeds expectations within its price range.

View attachment 288781

This is Cuckoo Studio review. Please stay tuned. I will continue to explore the secrets of headphones with you.

View attachment 288782
That looks interesting.

But you should definitely extract all your graphs and present them here one by one, in a readable format.

I'm reading this on my smartphone, and I just can't read your charts.
The bundled pictures just don't work for me.
The ones you added on the second post are OK.

TheHighContemplator

Cheers for the work you put into reviewing these. Might pick up a set and try them out.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Cuckoo Studio , the following graph of yours is the frequency response compensated in relation to Harman 2018 Target Curve right? If so I think it's incorrect because you should be showing larger differences between 3-7kHz. For instance at 7kHz the frequency response is around 6dB below Harman Target, yet that doesn't seem to be reflected in this graph.
index.php

Have I misinterpreted something here?

EDIT: and if that is a compensated to Harman 2018 graph, where's the zero dB line on the y-axis?

OP
Cuckoo Studio

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
@Cuckoo Studio , the following graph of yours is the frequency response compensated in relation to Harman 2018 Target Curve right? If so I think it's incorrect because you should be showing larger differences between 3-7kHz. For instance at 7kHz the frequency response is around 6dB below Harman Target, yet that doesn't seem to be reflected in this graph.
index.php

Have I misinterpreted something here?

EDIT: and if that is a compensated to Harman 2018 graph, where's the zero dB line on the y-axis?
Sorry for any trouble caused. Yes, the raw and to Harman2018 frequency responses that I provided earlier are not at the same insertion depth.
LAN RAW 2.jpg

This is the raw graph at the same insertion depth before compensation. is also used in the main content and by Moondrop official.

As for the Y-axis, it's just because I used 90dB as the center for all the images. If the image has 0 as the center, I also tend to add 90 to it. This way, I don't have to reset my image resolution every time.Yes, I know it's a very strange habit, and I should be able to change it in the future.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the review. I see the graphs are referring to over-ear target. That is not a typo I assume and that you are using OE target instead of in-ear target on purpose, is that correct? Any specific reason if yes?

Last edited:
OP
Cuckoo Studio

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
Thank you for the review. I see the graphs are referring to over-ear target. That is not a typo I assume and that you are using OE target instead of in-ear target on purpose, is that correct? Any specific reason if yes?
I have answered this in a previous post.: "I used OE2018 as the target for IEMs is because the low-frequency standards of the 2019v2 target still have some contentions among some of the acoustic researchers I know, and the surveys among enthusiasts also showed some dislike. However, using the bass-less Harman inroom flat as a compensation target for in-ear listening also felt wrong. After seeking the opinions of many acoustic professionals, the feedback I received was that the 2013 with bass and 2018 with bass targets for IEMs might be a more neutral choice. Since the OE and IE targets are almost identical in everything except for their low-frequency targets, both of these targets represent a compromise in the low-frequency domain."
Yes, I think that continuing to use the OE target curve on IE products may continue raise some questions in the future, but I always think that the low-frequency gain of 2018 is very reasonable. I have considered changing it to the "XX target," but I would rather respect the original data of the Harman curve. still thinking the best way to do it.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have answered this in a previous post.:
"I used OE2018 as the target for IEMs is because the low-frequency standards of the 2019v2 target still have some contentions among some of the acoustic researchers I know, and the surveys among enthusiasts also showed some dislike. However, using the bass-less Harman inroom flat as a compensation target for in-ear listening also felt wrong. After seeking the opinions of many acoustic professionals, the feedback I received was that the 2013 with bass and 2018 with bass targets for IEMs might be a more neutral choice. Since the OE and IE targets are almost identical in everything except for their low-frequency targets, both of these targets represent a compromise in the low-frequency domain."
Yes, I think that continuing to use the OE target curve on IE products may continue raise some questions in the future, but I always think that the low-frequency gain of 2018 is very reasonable. I have considered changing it to the "XX target," but I would rather respect the original data of the Harman curve. still thinking the best way to do it.
My apologies, was not aware this was answered before. May I suggest maybe to add a link in original graph to an explanation as I suspect a lot more people might ask you about this.

I have no opinion either way, and was not asking to criticize. I was just curious, mainly because I do not like how IEMs sound and I blame IE target for it - not the low end though as it is easy to fix, but it is the treble that usually gets to me. Seeing Lan offered a nice decreased response in treble intrigued me, making me think maybe I will like this one (that is always how it starts). Anyway, ordered one, let's see how this one turns out. Thank you.

1685456231737.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review!

Images are hard to read on mobile though.
Agreed. Maybe splitting the information to smaller sections will be better. What is there is excellent for print but the world now consumes information on a portrait mobile screen.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Agreed. Maybe splitting the information to smaller sections will be better. What is there is excellent for print but the world now consumes information on a portrait mobile screen.
Agree. Lots of information and beautifully laid out, just not mobile friendly (e.g., too small). Not much of a complaint, just noting my difficulties enjoying the content to the fullest extent.

OP
Cuckoo Studio

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
Agree. Lots of information and beautifully laid out, just not mobile friendly (e.g., too small). Not much of a complaint, just noting my difficulties enjoying the content to the fullest extent.
Thanks for your feedback. I'll find ways to make my future content more mobile-friendly!

Top Bottom