• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music fidelity a3 static and no volume control?

Knobstler

I have bought a used Music Fidelity A3 integrated amp today. But the volume doesnt work and there is static on the left channel. Apperantly the unit took a dive at some point but besides some dents to outside it seems very clean inside. Can anyone tell me how i might solve this please?

Attachments

• 20230929_190710.jpg
    20230929_190710.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 58

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I would purchase some plastic safe electronic contact cleaner and see if you can get access to the inside of the potentiometer and clean it.
When you state that the volume control does not work, do you mean rotating the knob makes no difference in output or that the motorized control is not working ?

OP
K

Knobstler

I would purchase some plastic safe electronic contact cleaner and see if you can get access to the inside of the potentiometer and clean it.
When you state that the volume control does not work, do you mean rotating the knob makes no difference in output or that the motorized control is not working ?
Thanks for your reply. It is like once i move the volume knob it just acts up but there is no difference in the volume level

Vini darko

Major Contributor
It's possible when the unit took a tumble. The force was transferred to the volume pot breaking the solder connections underneath.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The shaft is really bend or is just the photo?
Seems like the whole case is bend,have a look at the output devices also,is possible that bending short their legs there or with ground.

I would take it to an electrician if I were you,you'll never know what will happen to your speakers if a glorious 50/60Hz AC mains pass thought in full bore.

OP
K

Knobstler

The shaft is really bend or is just the photo?
Seems like the whole case is bend,have a look at the output devices also,is possible that bending short their legs there or with ground.

I would take it to an electrician if I were you,you'll never know what will happen to your speakers if a glorious 50/60Hz AC mains pass thought in full bore.
It is just the picture aperrantly the volume knob works now.
It's possible when the unit took a tumble. The force was transferred to the volume pot breaking the solder connections underneath.
Possible. The right channel wokrs and sound great. But the left channel is only giving of a hissing nois that cant be adjustet by the volume knob.

OP
K

Knobstler

Apperantly the battery to remember the last input has leaked a little and glued itself to the board. But it apperantly still functions. Theres a youtube video on the issue. Does anyone know how i can remove it before it leaks more?

Top Bottom