• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My review of Topping D10

Krunok

Major Contributor
Today I received my D10. On this lousy pic you can see it attached to the Raspberry Pi 3 B+. As you can see it is still "work in progress" as I'm still waiting for the case to arrive. :)

But ok, as everything is fully functional I decided to make a short write up to describe my impressions so far.

As it happens, D10 found it's place near the rest of my AV equipment in the living room, but far away from any comp to be hooked up via USB cable. For that reason I choose to pair it with the Raspebrry Pi running Volumio. This makes it possible to reach the D10 through the UPnP renderer capabilities of the Volumio, which is connected via Ethernet to my home network. On the same eth switch there is a NAS where my music collection is stored, 5GHz WiFi hotspot, internet gateway and some other equipment.

D10 is connected via RCA to my Rotel preamp and via coax SPDIF to my AudioAero preamp. Raspberry Pi is plugged in Orvibo WiWo smart socket so I can turn it off with my mobile after use.

I'm using Linn Kinsky as a player (UPnP control point) on my Win10 laptop and BubbleUPnP on my Android phone. Once I choose what to play those 2 are not really doing anything as UPnP renderer (Volumio running on Raspeberry Pi) is actually doing the playout fetching files from NAS and sending them to the D10 via USB. Kinsky and BubbeUPnP remain in sync meaning you can switch from one to another seamlessly. In my other room I've got Denon HEOS soundbar which I can also use to play music in that room as it also acts as UPnP renderer. I'm using Synology Media server app as UPnP server.

From the D10 perspective everything works nicely without any clicks, dropouts etc. - PCM works fine all the way up to 384/24 and DSD works only as DoP (64 and 128), as Volumio kernel uses ALSA library which requires each and every DAC (manufacturer & product ID) to be entered into it's database so it doesn't recognize D10 as DSD direct capable device.

Now, regarding the sound quality: before D10 I was using SkySong USB bridge which sent audio over SPDIF to my Rotel so the internal DACs were used. Now, as D10 is doing the DA conversion and sending the analog signal via pair of beautifully crafted Mogami cables the sound stage is much wider and deeper, bass got tighter with more definition, mids are much more natural and highs are crisp as.. Huh.. Lost my inspiration here!
Nothing of this holds the truth, of course. The truth is I can't really tell the difference between the Rotels DAC chips and D10. Some 12 years ago Rotel's AKM DACs were considered state of the art technology and while they don't have as fancy specs as D10 they were still doing the job good enough not to be heard. I am, however, still very happy with my D10 as it enabled me to put together the missing link between my Rotel and AudioAero amps and my music archive now residing on my NAS server.

Last edited:

dc655321

Major Contributor
Now, as D10 is doing the DA conversion and sending the analog signal via pair of beautifully crafted Mogami cables the sound stage is much wider and deeper, bass got tighter with more definition, mids are much more natural and highs are crisp as.. Huh..

So... You're saying the Presence Region is now more organic? ;)
Lol. Nice impressions.

What are your thoughts on Volumio?

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
So... You're saying the Presence Region is now more organic? ;)

Yes, organic - that was the word I was looking for! :D

What are your thoughts on Volumio?

It's very easy to install, even if you're not familiar with unix stuff. Setup is plain and simple. Gapless play is supported, DSD as well.
As a renderer it is stable and does the job well, Kinsky and BubbleUPnP control it without any issues.
It's web interface has a few quirks but I'm using it only for shutdown, although I'm not sure if that is even necessary or you can simply turn it off.
CPU utilization on Raspberry 3 B+ running Volumio never exceeds 7% but only when playing extremely high bitrates, typically it's 3%. With Raspberry Pi 3 B+ it is advisable to use WiFi and not wired Gb ethernet as there is some problem with the driver.

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
You could maybe get a matching box for the PI that looks like the D10 and have a nice looking package! :)

Heh, that is exactly the reason why my PI is still naked. :)
I must say though I'm not impressed with the offering I was able to see so far..

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeh, the standard hobby boxes are pretty cheesy. I am thinking you could get a generic extruded box and drill a hole for the one or two connectors you need. Something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Aluminum-P...rd_wg=Rtcc8&psc=1&refRID=9B2AZJNT6SASDD7HDAS9

51hqoY%2BFSQL._SL1447_.jpg

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
I have ordered this one few hours ago. As you can see we were thinking pretty much in the same direction.. :)

Timbo2

IMG_20180523_180701 (1).jpg
Very nice write-up. Thank you for posting it. You could maybe get a matching box for the PI that looks like the D10 and have a nice looking package! :)

Here you go with an O2 cable tied to the top and the XLR pigtail for my headphones.

(And yes that's a cheap tube pre-amplifier + tone controls next to it. Wanted to see what kind of coloration it did to the sound. On some music I like it on others not so much. Mostly not used., but fun to play with.)

I'd also add that consistent with Amir's measurements the D10 puts out an honest 2Vrms. My O2 has a 1X gain and I still don't get much usable volume range with my Shure SE535 IEMs.

Last edited:

Guermantes

@Krunok I have a similar setup with the RPi hidden away to keep it out of reach of our toddler. I went with moOde rather than Volumio and using a USB drive connected to the Pi. This uses MPD as the library manager which is fine but I do miss the search functionality and metadata management of desktop programs such as JRiver Media Center, etc.

Currently using a Topping D30 but might switch over to the D10 for the added benefit of SPDIF out to another DAC.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Why not just unbox the Topping? :)

Nice setup; I keep wanting to try a Raspberry PI but other things keep coming up... And they keep pushing up retirement age so I may be dead before I get to it!

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep wanting to try a Raspberry PI

You should. I think whoever came up with it deserves a Nobel prize. I had a nice setup going with the Pi and HiFiBerry DAC/AMP and also Allo DAC. I could not get Volumio to work reliably and interface was not so great so I got frustrated and tossed everything in a box up in the attic. Now that I have a Roon subscription, maybe its good to revisit.

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
@Krunok I have a similar setup with the RPi hidden away to keep it out of reach of our toddler. I went with moOde rather than Volumio and using a USB drive connected to the Pi. This uses MPD as the library manager which is fine but I do miss the search functionality and metadata management of desktop programs such as JRiver Media Center, etc.

Currently using a Topping D30 but might switch over to the D10 for the added benefit of SPDIF out to another DAC.

Jriver MC can play to UPnP renderer running on RPI, no metter if it is Volumio or Moode. AFAIK you will retain all functionality and metadata management of Jriver MC if configured properly.
You can find some help to set it up here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=112266.0

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
You should. I think whoever came up with it deserves a Nobel prize. I had a nice setup going with the Pi and HiFiBerry DAC/AMP and also Allo DAC. I could not get Volumio to work reliably and interface was not so great so I got frustrated and tossed everything in a box up in the attic. Now that I have a Roon subscription, maybe its good to revisit.

Latest version of Volumio runs smoothly without any issues. I went with Volumio rather than with Moode only because installation procedure was easier. AFAIK both of them use the same audio libraries.

I think Roon doesn't natively support playing to UPnP device but it can do it via UPnP bridge like SonoreUPnP Bridge: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/sonoreupnp-bridge-beta/15698

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
Very nice write-up. Thank you for posting it. You could maybe get a matching box for the PI that looks like the D10 and have a nice looking package! :)

I've been thinking about what you said and here are my thoughts: IMHO the "perfect" solution would be if Topping chooses to develop next gen of D10 (say D100) which would have RPI embedded into it's casing. While at it, it would also be nice if they add XLR outputs and IR controlled volume control. I believe such product can easily sell for $250. As we are all aware, since you are unofficial Topping ambassador maybe you can put a word in the right ear.. :)

Guermantes

Jriver MC can play to UPnP renderer running on RPI, no metter if it is Volumio or Moode. AFAIK you will retain all functionality and metadata management of Jriver MC if configured properly.
You can find some help to set it up here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=112266.0
Yes, I did try this successfully but didn't want to run another computer to listen to music. With moOde (or Volumio), I just need the RPi and a web browser on a mobile phone or tablet -- everything is hidden from prying eyes and uses the least amount of power.

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yes, I did try this successfully but didn't want to run another computer to listen to music. With moOde (or Volumio), I just need the RPi and a web browser on a mobile phone or tablet -- everything is hidden from prying eyes and uses the least amount of power.

That was my idea as well. :)

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Krunok i'm an absolute beginner regarding Raspberry Pi 3 B+. What sort of OS do i have to install read somthing like NOOBs on top Windows?.
For me it is important that for instance at statrup Volumio or Foobar2000 is started automaticly and i can use my android phone as a remote control. So basicly i don't want to use a screen only to install the OS.

Top Bottom