• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My review of Topping D10

Hemicrusher

That is the case with most of us when we add something good and new to the system. I even feel my car goes better when I change the air filter. :D
But technically speaking, that is not the case.

The air filter example is a poor choice. I changed the filter on my Harley from the restrictive stock one, to a K&N and it added 5HP shown on the dyno.

BTW, the Hemi in my name refers to my other hobby.

έχω δίκιο

That is the case with most of us when we add something good and new to the system. I even feel my car goes better when I change the air filter. :D
But technically speaking, that is not the case.

NWAVGUY wrote in his blog:

NWAVGUY said:
Studies show you can play the identical track, on identical equipment, two different times, and the odds are good people will hear significant differences if they’re expecting a difference. This is called expectation bias and it’s the brain “helpfully” filtering your hearing to match your expectations—just like wine tasting.

None of us are immune to this.

The air filter example is a poor choice.

So substitute oil changes for air filters. Many people change their perfectly good synthetic oil at 3K miles and swear that they feel a seat of the pants improvement in how their car runs.

I changed the filter on my Harley from the restrictive stock one, to a K&N and it added 5HP on the dyno.

Five horsepower at the rear wheel? Wow! That's around a 30% horsepower increase on a Harley. :p

Hemicrusher

So substitute oil changes for air filters. Many people change their perfectly good synthetic oil at 3K miles and swear that they feel a seat of the pants improvement in how their car runs.

I believe all modern oils, dino or syn make no difference in how the car or bike runs. Head over to Bobistheoilguy forums if ya wanna argrue that.

Five horsepower at the rear wheel? Wow! That's around a 30% horsepower increase on a Harley. :p

I live in CA and our vehicles are pretty EPA restrictive. On a BT it was more of a 7% change and it did require a re-jet.

Last edited:
OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
I believe all modern oils, dino or syn make no difference in how the car or bike runs.

They don't, good oil only extends engine life but doesn't add power.

I live in CA and our vehicles are pretty EPA restrictive. And on a BT it was more of an 11% change.

I gained 7HP on a dyno when switched to BMC filter but my butt dyno screamed that I gained at least 30Hp as sound of the engine was changed. On a 400HP car 7HP didn't make any measureable difference in acceleration nor in top speed.

έχω δίκιο

I believe all modern oils, dino or syn make no difference in how the car or bike runs.

Then you probably feel no difference when you change the oil. And someone who believes that his oil is "worn out" or who is switching to a "better" oil probably does feel a difference.

I live in CA and our vehicles are pretty EPA restrictive. On a BT it was more of an 7% change and it did require a re-jet.

Harleys are hit hard because they are air-cooled and have a very wide operating temperature range. So they have to be very loose compared to liquid-cooled bike.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The most interesting part about these false beliefs is that even if it is false, it still works. Our mind "thinks" that it sounds better.

It is the most important part, isn't it? The consumers are thus happy. :p

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
The most interesting part about these false beliefs is that even if it is false, it still works. Our mind "thinks" that it sounds better.

It is the most important part, isn't it? :p

It certainly makes you feel well. :)

έχω δίκιο

It is the most important part, isn't it? The consumers are thus happy. :p

As an engineer, the most important thing to me is the survival of the fittest. I've seen too many good companies producing well-engineered audio products go under while snake oil companies suck up massive quantities of money from people who convince themselves that they hear improvements that aren't there.

Hemicrusher

Then you probably feel no difference when you change the oil. And someone who believes that his oil is "worn out" or who is switching to a "better" oil probably does feel a difference.

I almost got into a physical fight over this....Don't get me started on Amsoil....

Harleys are hit hard because they are air-cooled and have a very wide operating temperature range. So they have to be very loose compared to liquid-cooled bike.

This is me on my 68 taken in 1982. I ran a straight 30wt. oil.

13010685_10208602620840031_6222057924690084315_n.jpg

έχω δίκιο

I have almost got into a physical fight over this....Don't get me started on Amsoil....

It sucks that it's illegal to beat the crap out of someone for being stubbornly ignorant.

This is me on my 68 taken in 1982.

The closest I came to owning a Harley was my Buell XB12Ss naked sport bike. Erik Buell managed to coax 100hp out of an old-style Sportster engine, but he put a thermostatic fan on it that sounded like a 727 at takeoff. I still have that bike and it's really a very satisfying sport bike to ride on the street.

Hemicrusher

It sucks that it's illegal to beat the crap out of someone for being stubbornly ignorant.

The closest I came to owning a Harley was my Buell XB12Ss naked sport bike. Erik Buell managed to coax 100hp out of an old-style Sportster engine, but he put a thermostatic fan on it that sounded like a 727 at takeoff. I still have that bike and it's really a very satisfying sport bike to ride on the street.

I really liked Buells and it sucks they went under. Those XB12's were great bikes. Even though I have owned BT's....Sportsters were always my favorite Harleys. I had a 94 883 that I punched out to 1300cc and it dyno'd at 134HP. It killed any BT I went up against.

I now ride a Triumph Speed Triple. :p

έχω δίκιο

I really liked Buells and it sucks they went under.

Harley forcibly shut them down right before Christmas, refusing offers from Polaris to buy Buell -- offers that would have kept the plant open and 200 Americans employed. Polaris even offered just to keep the 1125cc line with the motor jointly developed by Buell and Rotax -- so no Harley drivetrain. Harley refused that offer too. And Harley later admitted that they didn't even know whether Buell was profitable or not because of HD's convoluted bookkeeping.

So f*** Harley and their chest-pounding fake patriotism:
HDlabel.jpg

I have three bikes, but I've not ridden that much since retirement: A Buell 1125CR, a Buell XB12Ss, and a BMW R1150RTP police bike. Got to get out on them and let the boat sit idle more.

Top Bottom