• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My story about the power of the placebo effect

spartaman64

I play an mmo called black desert online and a couple of years ago the developers released a quest that people can do to increase their attack points by 3. So of course pretty much everyone did the quest because who doesn't want 3 free ap and people were raving about how much it increased their pvp damage and now they can grind much faster now. 2 weeks later a friend of mine who is a bit like the ASR of the bdo community was doing a completely unrelated test on two elixirs to see which one is better and he was getting some weird results. He decided the most likely culprit is the recent change to the game so he did a test for the quest log ap and found that even though it shows in the stats menu it didn't actually apply in combat. He submitted this is the game developers and they confirmed that indeed it was bugged and isn't applied and they fixed and put it in the next patch notes. This is a game of around 100k players and pretty much all of them were sure that they got a big damage boost when in reality their damage wasn't changed at all.

I wanted to share this because of the post on reddit of people making fun of ASR for having the stance that the hd600 and hd650 are the same when many other people say they are different. I'm not taking a stance on either side I'm just saying that the many people say they are different point that reddit is making is weaker than they think and we need blind abx testing to know for sure.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wanted to share this because of the post on reddit of people making fun of ASR for having the stance that the hd600 and hd650 are the same when many other people say they are different.
About this, measurements show that they are nearly the same, but they aren’t identical. First of all, we have to accept transducer variation due to manufacturing variations between units and this expected out of any manufactured product. But only this reason given above can be the reason why they are deemed different. See, around 100 to 400 Hz these headphones vary within 1 to 3 dB. This can be observed in multiple measurements from different sites, and it is audible when one of them is EQ’d to be similar to the other and switched back to its stock sound (did this small experiment when had both the HD 600 and 650). Other than that, there aren’t any meaningful differences that I know in this specific case. And it doesn’t really matter when you EQ the headphones to compensate for their shortcomings, since it is likely these are going to sound very similar, maybe indistinguishable.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I play an mmo called black desert online and a couple of years ago the developers released a quest that people can do to increase their attack points by 3. So of course pretty much everyone did the quest because who doesn't want 3 free ap and people were raving about how much it increased their pvp damage and now they can grind much faster now. 2 weeks later a friend of mine who is a bit like the ASR of the bdo community was doing a completely unrelated test on two elixirs to see which one is better and he was getting some weird results. He decided the most likely culprit is the recent change to the game so he did a test for the quest log ap and found that even though it shows in the stats menu it didn't actually apply in combat. He submitted this is the game developers and they confirmed that indeed it was bugged and isn't applied and they fixed and put it in the next patch notes. This is a game of around 100k players and pretty much all of them were sure that they got a big damage boost when in reality their damage wasn't changed at all.

I wanted to share this because of the post on reddit of people making fun of ASR for having the stance that the hd600 and hd650 are the same when many other people say they are different. I'm not taking a stance on either side I'm just saying that the many people say they are different point that reddit is making is weaker than they think and we need blind abx testing to know for sure.
Great story!

Top Bottom