• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need a New DAW / Streamer PC

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
So I got my new 5K iMac today (I know, lazy option, overpriced, but I'm short on time and I knew the migration would be easy).

You know what, it sounds better than the Mac Mini.

I know I know that's complete nonsense. The RME ADI-Pro 2 has an asynchronous USB. Given the software is the same between the two, it really shouldn't matter.

But, honestly, they do sound different over monitor speakers.

Ah, but what about headphones, you say? Those sound the same.

So I'm going to chalk up to difference in the change in acoustics, reflections, etc (the monitors flank the monitor closely, within 12") that came with going from my 24" Dell monitor to the bigger, thicker 27" Retina monitor built into the all-in-one chassis of the iMac.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
All Mac's include Steve Job's halo which research has shown to clearly interact with acoustic field. See Journal of Audio Engineering Scientology, 2010.

saint-steve-jobs.jpg

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will be reviewing the Allo streamer soon. This comes turnkey with an SD card image that does everything. I agree hand configuring the Pi is a nightmare, at least it was for me trying to get it work with Roon.
Did you get around to the allo yet? I have a use for one so am very interested.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
So I got my new 5K iMac today (I know, lazy option, overpriced, but I'm short on time and I knew the migration would be easy).

You know what, it sounds better than the Mac Mini.

I know I know that's complete nonsense. The RME ADI-Pro 2 has an asynchronous USB. Given the software is the same between the two, it really shouldn't matter.

But, honestly, they do sound different over monitor speakers.

Ah, but what about headphones, you say? Those sound the same.

So I'm going to chalk up to difference in the change in acoustics, reflections, etc (the monitors flank the monitor closely, within 12") that came with going from my 24" Dell monitor to the bigger, thicker 27" Retina monitor built into the all-in-one chassis of the iMac.

After the first rush of having a new computer, what’s your final take on new iMac 5k vs Mac mini, @watchnerd ?

Still convinced the 5k is better than the mini?

No doubt, the 5k has a better psu etc, but I can’t figure out why that should matter if your dac is of adequate quality.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Win 10 Creator is the most aggravating POS of the lot with it's constant updates taking over the computer about every 3rd time I boot into it.

You might check your update options.

Mine is just getting around to the April updates today - August 14, and has been patiently waiting for several days as I told it "No, Not Now".

1534283690871.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You might check your update options.

Mine is just getting around to the April updates today - August 14, and has been patiently waiting for several days as I told it "No, Not Now".

View attachment 14777
With all that's been going on with the Intel vulnerabilities, etc, I was a bit concerned to shut off the updates.
Specially considering I only use Windoz is for my Quicken financial matters. Rest of the time I'm in Linux

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With all that's been going on with the Intel vulnerabilities, etc, I was a bit concerned to shut off the updates.

Those sound scary, but it really depends on your security model. They are more of a concern in multi-user environments where you're forced to have mixed security contexts on a single machine because untrusted or incompetent users. With a single user on a single machine it's not too hard to mitigate those attack vectors in other ways.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But isn't there a Quicken for Android as well? Get yourself a tablet and you're a free man! :D
No, whats out there is a joke, and it won't run under wine.

Top Bottom