• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Power amplifier Recomendations 1000.00 or less 500 watt minimum @4ohm.

sdep77

It might have to be the ICE amp modules or the N-core modules and put them in a case myself. gave up on the Crown amps. N core gets good reviews , if I could put up with just 100 watts channel , many of the old B&K ST140 amps on Ebay reasonable prices too, that look is my favorite too. I have to like the way they look not just the sound. so if I buy the modules will have to find a case like the old B&K ST140 . I want 600 to 1000 watts @4ohm Amps nothing smaller s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

garbulky

Major Contributor
Used Emotiva XPA-1 gen 2 600 watts @ 8 ohms 1000 @ 4 ohms. 60 watts class A. Fully balanced.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It might have to be the ICE amp modules or the N-core modules and put them in a case myself. gave up on the Crown amps. N core gets good reviews , if I could put up with just 100 watts channel , many of the old B&K ST140 amps on Ebay reasonable prices too, that look is my favorite too. I have to like the way they look not just the sound. so if I buy the modules will have to find a case like the old B&K ST140 . I want 600 to 1000 watts @4ohm Amps nothing smallerView attachment 14506

I would go ncore. The NC400s are excellent, They do higher power modules also. BTW, if you are interested I have a Nord Acoustics case which I stripped the ncore amp modules out of to put in my active dsp speakers. I will post a photo of the case later.

Just curious, why do you feel you need 1kW?

Nc400
https://www.hypexshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=4466

Ucd700
https://www.hypexshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=2589

Personally I would go with the 400 unless you really do need 600watts. Remember 400 to 600 watts is only an increase of 1.7dB.

There is a 2kw amp and a range of OEM modules which it might be possible to get hold of.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
?

See the links above. That's the manufacturers website, they are only available from there. Don't forget the power supply for the modules needs to be added.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I didn't see the price before. Yes you should be able to get the XPA-1's used at less than 1k each. But keep in mind that they are monoblock amps. So you have to pay for two. They are also bulky and heavy (73 pounds each). So you may not like that. They are class AB with a high bias in to class A with a 1.2 kva transformer per channel.
https://emotiva.com/products/xpa-1-gen2

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A pair of used Adcom GFA 555 II's running in bridged mode, rated at 600w into 8ohms continuous.
Designed by Nelson Pass.
Lots of them for sale on ebay.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That's a good looking case. The back could be easily replaced if it was 'too busy'.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
What was wrong with the Crown amps? Curious; I have read mixed reviews, but a lot of 'philes use them.

If you are going to build a class D amplifier be aware the power supply design is critical for good performance. Power supply modulation can flow directly to the output and cause strange spurs.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Don, from my perspective, the Crown XLS DriveCore 2 series is a steal. And does get very good reviews: https://www.amazon.com/Crown-XLS1502-Two-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B011X2HTZC#customerReviews I use this amp in a triamp setup from 40 Hz to 630 Hz to drive JBL double 15" 4 ohm cabs with high efficiency woofers. Granted I have not used the amp in a full range setup, but as one can see from the Amazon reviews, many folks are using this amp in consumer setups with great results.

For $399, I would suggest this amp (and the XLS series) is real bargain. However, some folks feel tbat it can't possibly sound good at that price point. That's why I would love to see @amirm measure one of these bad boys to see if it is the real deal or not. Until then, it seems to be all speculation...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hey Mitch,

I agree with you (natch), that's why I asked. Bet we both had DC300's at one point as they were they only reliable high-power amp around for a while... ;) I had a Phase Linear 700 (first generation) for a while; I sold it after repairing it the third time it blew up and took out a speaker.

When a Crown has fallen down in a consumer system IME it has been due to level mismatch (pro vs. consumer levels) leading to noise with high-sensitivity speakers. And of course you have to deal with their pro-type turn-on vs. the consumer trigger voltage mismatch (or manually power cycle them, like most of us did for decades). They have amps now that deal with the level issue, not sure about trigger circuits (they'd have to decide if the expense was worth it for the sales potential). I think they should do like some other companies and add the trigger circuit, bump the gain for consumer input levels, wrap it in consumer-looking sheetmetal, and sell it for 2x the price. Or maybe 10x to be more in line with other audiophile amplifiers...

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 for measuring the Crown amp. Would make for an interesting comparison with the Hypex NCore and perhaps also with a high-end class A amp.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
@DonH56 You are right! I have owned DC300's before - LOL! Sorry, I was responding in the wrong thread, I thought this one was the which $500 amps to test. I was giving @amirm a hard time for not testing this amp already and putting to bed the zillion posts on why these Crown XLS amps suck ... or not... :)

The XLS amps has easy switching between consumer and pro levels, balanced or unbalanced operation, a fan that I have never heard turn on, even when the amp is abused for hours... Wrt to trigger, it is still a pain, but possible...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The XLS amps has easy switching between consumer and pro levels, balanced or unbalanced operation, a fan that I have never heard turn on, even when the amp is abused for hours...
There should be a law against amp abusers, and a public list of who they are and where they live! :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Don, from my perspective, the Crown XLS DriveCore 2 series is a steal.

For $399, I would suggest this amp (and the XLS series) is real bargain. However, some folks feel tbat it can't possibly sound good at that price point. That's why I would love to see @amirm measure one of these bad boys to see if it is the real deal or not. Until then, it seems to be all speculation...

I am using one of these full range to drive a pair of LS50's.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Habitual 5E3 amp. abuser. :eek:
Ah, Neil Young, the Wizard of PONO. "Just listen to this high resolution audio file in my car, can't you hear how much better it sounds?"
A good candidate for discussion on our "Why do people assciate High End audio with snake-oil" thread. :eek:

Top Bottom