• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Power amplifier Recomendations 1000.00 or less 500 watt minimum @4ohm.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I think the log/exp relationship of SPL to power throws people off when they make ballpark estimates.
Even my inefficient Mag 3.6/R produce SPLs in the 90s with about 10 W output. That's very loud. But reaching the THX recommended 105 dB SPL takes about 30x more power, now we're talking about 300 watts!
I agree -- when it comes to power, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. So long as excess power on a fixed budget doesn't mean compromising sound quality.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...my(600W SDS-470C) class D amplifier consumes 175-400W. So, this is clearly not true. Even counting some power supply loss that's at least 10x more power than 10W rms.
The difference between 10W & 400W is 16dB, which is within reason for high-DR music. Even more so, if "consumes" means that you measured at the amp's AC input, because even Class-D isn't 100% efficient. 10Wrms might be unreasonable with speakers that can't do [email protected].

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The difference between 10W & 400W is 16dB, which is within reason for high-DR music. Even more so, if "consumes" means that you measured at the amp's AC input, because even Class-D isn't 100% efficient. 10Wrms might be unreasonable with speakers that can't do [email protected].

Yeah, that's how I measured, and agreed it's definitely not 100% efficient, probably something like 90%. Was just meant to illustrate that 10W is definitely insufficient for some speakers in some rooms, at least.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed 100%. Amps need to provide more than RMS power levels, no question.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't wish to split hairs, but that's completely opposed to everything I learned about medians.

Regardless, taking 86-87dB/dBW seems to be a safe bet.

Haha yes! Obviously I should have swapped average and median in that post ;)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting thread which has been sleeping for over a year. In the meantime a Crown XLS1502 was tested here with the result being a so-so SINAD of around 76db. I recall in the review thread @mitchco posting he used the Crown to make binaural recordings of his recently purchased LS50's and nobody said anything was amiss.

Our host has estimated an Emotiva PA-1 to have an 86db SINAD from it's published specifications. Would I hear a difference from the Crown? I doubt the reduced power of the PA-1 would be a factor since the extra power of the Crown would easily drive the LS50's into distortion.

There is the bass management issue. XLS amps have a built in DSP which may be used to set up a high pass for the mains. With the Emotiva (any Icepower or Hypex) based amp, I need to add something. Another member around here recommended using something like this:

https://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-fmod-inline-crossover-pair-100-hz-high-pass-rca--266-274

It's 12db/octave, passive and cheap.

So, I wonder if a significant improvement is possible with a pair of PA-1's and some Harrison plugs, or is it just throwing money at an imaginary problem?

Top Bottom