• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Network audio player

sophie smith

Greetings,

I am looking for decent and affordable network audio player. I store my music (FLAC) on PC external hard drive on network shared folders (also linked to Plex server). Setting up a second home system in a different room. Looking for a wired (Ethernet cable) solution. Ideally, need a network player to play my files - external DAC - preamp - amp - speakers. I have the Emotiva Pro/amp but it is 10 years old, without network capability, and with old DAC. I know I can get a quality DAC (Topping or SMSL) for under $300. Now need a network player. Now I am using Yamaha receiver, which does it all, but not with the same quality as I would get from my Emotiva separates. Need an inexpensive but quality network player, with LAN port (do not want wireless as I may later sign up for one of the music streaming sites with PCM/DSD files), and preferably digital optical out for external DAC. Looked at new Roku ultra, but they do not have tosslink on the latest unit (I know I can get an older model). Any other ideas? Audiophile type (brand) network players (Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer) cost usually over $500, and I would prefer to spend less so that I can also get a dedicated external DAC. I am fine with android phone based control apps, as long as they work.

Tried SMSL DP3 player, but it would not recognize either Plex or shared folders via WiFi or LAN connection.

I am not looking for a brand name, but for the decent quality performance. As this site shows, some less expensive models perform much better than expensive brand names.

Thanks much

Guermantes

I went down the Raspberry Pi path. It has on-board ethernet (improved on the latest 3B+ model) as well as wi-fi and bluetooth.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-review-hands-on-with-the-new-board/

There are various audio-targeted projects based on the Linux kernel, mostly using MPD for their music player functionality. They can turn it into an audio network player (and they are free):
MoOde - requires user to do some DIY building on top of Raspbian but has an automated script to help. Has great support from Tim Curtis, frequent updates, expanding functionality and is compatible with most USB and IIS DACS.
http://moodeaudio.org/
Volumio - easily installed from image file. As with moOde, it is compatible with a variety of DACs.
https://volumio.org/

There are also picoreplayer (uses Logitech Media Server as the audio server) and runeaudio plus others.

All of these can be accessed via browser interfaces on mobiles, tablets, etc. Some discussion of the various differences between these alternatives can be found in this DIYAudio thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/281417-moode-vs-volumio-vs-runeaudio.html

My setup consists of the following:
Raspberry Pi 3
Power supply
Cheap case (not worried about bling as it is out of sight)
Sandisk Ultra micro SD card with MoOde Audio Player
Powered USB hub
Topping D10 DAC

My only complaint has been about searching my large library of classical music, but this is gradually being improved with expanded search functionality in MoOde.

Krunok

Major Contributor
@Guermantes , glad to hear you're satisified with your setup. :)

My setup is similar to yours, I'm running Volumio on Raspberry Pi 3 B+. Which player are you using and how do you manage volume control?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

Also using a Raspberry Pi in one of my setups (summer house). However the OP prefers optical out to DAC, no such port RPi.

Krunok

Major Contributor
OP
S

sophie smith

Thanks for the replies.

1. My Yamaha does not have digital out. For under $300, it would have nicely solved the problems.
2. Never thought of Pi. May give this a try. My main issue is to make thinks simple. I can get the unit, DL the software, and install on SD card. How relatively simple is that? I assume once I loaded the player on the Pi and on my phone, I will be able to use the phone to control the player on Pi and play the files from the server? Pi should be able to access shared folders on Win PC or maybe even Plex server?? How easy is it to use Pi? All I would need is a monitor and a keyboard? Just like any PC? Unfortunately, do not have the time to tinker too much.
3. Saw the Yamaha player. A bit "dated". Would buy if they came up with the newer version and upgraded DAC.
4. Actually from the reading on this site about the digital outputs, looks like USB out option is far better than optical as it allows for asynchronous sampling for capable DACs. So, this would work on Pi.
5. Are you happy with the quality of Pi as a streamer/network player using good external DAC. I plan to pair it with Topping D50 and then Pro/amp Emotiva I already own.

Thanks much

Krunok

Major Contributor
Thanks for the replies.

1. My Yamaha does not have digital out. For under $300, it would have nicely solved the problems.
2. Never thought of Pi. May give this a try. My main issue is to make thinks simple. I can get the unit, DL the software, and install on SD card. How relatively simple is that? I assume once I loaded the player on the Pi and on my phone, I will be able to use the phone to control the player on Pi and play the files from the server? Pi should be able to access shared folders on Win PC or maybe even Plex server?? How easy is it to use Pi? All I would need is a monitor and a keyboard? Just like any PC? Unfortunately, do not have the time to tinker too much.
3. Saw the Yamaha player. A bit "dated". Would buy if they came up with the newer version and upgraded DAC.
4. Actually from the reading on this site about the digital outputs, looks like USB out option is far better than optical as it allows for asynchronous sampling for capable DACs. So, this would work on Pi.
5. Are you happy with the quality of Pi as a streamer/network player using good external DAC. I plan to pair it with Topping D50 and then Pro/amp Emotiva I already own.

Thanks much

2. I believe the simplest installation you have with Volumio as the only thing you need to do is to copy the image on the SD card. You can administer Volumio from any computer on your network via its web interface. It can access files from any SMB share or UPnP/DLNA media server.

5. Volumio acts as a "bit perfect" UPnP renderer. That means it will not alter the quality of your music files.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I've got both the Raspberry PI & Topping D50 (not in same setup) and can attest to their respective quality.

Your Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ BoM would be something like this:

1. Raspberry Pi B+ - 35USD (on sale here https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-model-bplus-sale-now-35/ )
2. Official RPi Case - 6USD
3. SD Card 64GB - 18USD

Edit: DL of chosen SW of course ...

1. Yes, that's the one
2. I boght this case on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Al...its-For-Raspberry-Pi-3-Model-B-B/202249763864
3. I used 8GB Sundisk SD card

OP
S

sophie smith

Thanks.

I assume initially I would need a monitor and keyboard/mouse to set it up. After that, once it is powered, can I use cell phone to control the playlist if all I need it for is to play music from server? Or will I need to keep the screen and KB attached to RPi?

Krunok

Major Contributor
Thanks.

I assume initially I would need a monitor and keyboard/mouse to set it up. After that, once it is powered, can I use cell phone to control the playlist if all I need it for is to play music from server? Or will I need to keep the screen and KB attached to RPi?

No problem.

I acctually managed without the monitor/mouse/keyboard as initial boot sequence went without any problem. After the initial boot is complete you have to check on your router (or whatever device is acting as a DHCP server) which IP address was given to the Volumio, then you log in, perform a few easy configuring steps and you're good to go.

If you have Android phone I strongly suggest you use BubbleUPnP to control Volumio. I also suggest you install some kind of UPnP/DLNA Media server in front of your file server where your music is stored as that will make playing things much easier with Volumio.

I never connected monitor/kbd/mouse to my RPi running Volumio.

Here are 2 threads which I started, you may find useful info there:

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-review-of-topping-d10.3303/
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-make-topping-d10-act-as-a-preamp.3687/page-2

Guermantes

@Guermantes , glad to hear you're satisified with your setup. :)

My setup is similar to yours, I'm running Volumio on Raspberry Pi 3 B+. Which player are you using and how do you manage volume control?

I'm using MoOde, mainly because the search functionality is on track to do what I want and also because Tim Curtis is a nice guy :)

I'm simply controlling volume on my AV amplifier and keep software volumes at 100% or disabled. I also use local storage in the form of a portable 3TB hard drive attached to the RPi via a powered USB hub -- not a separate NAS. But I can transfer CD/SACD rips or music downloads from other computers to the hard drive via the network or simply via USB if I have a lot of data to transfer (everything is Wi-Fi in our house and that can be flaky at times).

@sophie smith, if you go down the RPi route, don't forget you'll need a power supply that is up to the task. Any old phone charger probably won't do. So add that to the BOM.

I may be wrong, but the Plex route will probably force you into having to use the TV as the user interface as it is primarily aimed at video. The software I mentioned (MoOde, Volumio, etc.) is specifically for audio and runs headless with no HDMI connection necessary. The software has been optimised specifically for audio with the benefit of things like high quality resampling via SOX and DSD playback.

I assume once I loaded the player on the Pi and on my phone, I will be able to use the phone to control the player on Pi and play the files from the server? Pi should be able to access shared folders on Win PC or maybe even Plex server?? How easy is it to use Pi? All I would need is a monitor and a keyboard? Just like any PC? Unfortunately, do not have the time to tinker too much.

Yes, you can access your audio files on your NAS via these players using normal network protocols such as Samba and NFS even with Plex running -- the players will have their own library functionality onboard. The exception to this is picoreplayer which uses the Logitech Media Server. You can even push audio to the players via UPnP and in Windows they will appear as "network media players".

The main pros of using the Raspberry Pi as an audio player are cost, upgrade-ability (software and hardware) and a very active community of users.
The main cons are set-up (it's a little computer that runs Linux, so it requires some DIY) and aesthetics (though some people go the extra mile).

Krunok

Major Contributor
@Guermantes Nice write-up! :)

Btw, from what I have been told by Volumio designer it is best to avoid software volume control as it is not losless, so I was keeping it at "disabled" when I was controlling volume via preamp.

Regarding the power supply, I'm using original RPi, but as you said, any decent phone charger would do.

Top Bottom