• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutral DAC/AMP for Mixing and Mastering

calojer

Hi, everybody.
I'm just finishing mixing a record and since I don't have a properly treated studio I bought some Sennheiser HD650 headphones with 320 Ohm impedance.
My RME Babyface sound card (first model) does not have a headphone amplifier capable of driving the HD650 and for this reason I am considering buying a DAC/AMP.
What I need is neutral listening that adds nothing to the sound of the mix. A clear, powerful but neutral listening.
I've read so many reviews but I can't figure out what's right for me. I have a budget of $350.
Can you help me, please?

Thanks in advance,
Fabio

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you need Bluetooth?
How will you connect the DAC to an audio source? USB?
Do you need an all in one DAC/Amp or are separate devices for the DAC and Amp OK?
Any other features that are a must have, or you just need a neutral set up to drive the HD650?
What country do you live in?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
calojer

calojer

Do you need Bluetooth?
How will you connect the DAC to an audio source? USB?
Do you need an all in one DAC/Amp or are separate devices for the DAC and Amp OK?
Any other features that are a must have, or you just need a neutral set up to drive the HD650?
What country do you live in?

I don't need bluetooth
I'll connect the DAC to the USB-C of my macbook pro 16" 2020.
I'd like an All in One DAC/AMP.
Just a neutral setup to drive the HD650.
I Live in Italy

Last edited:

Kouioui

Forum Donor
I mix on a budget and to my ears, there's nothing better for $270 than the Topping E30/L30 stack for use with the HD650/6XX. It's going to be difficult to match this performance in an all-in-one at your budget. If you're not already doing so, I suggest looking into adding parametric EQ, such as oratory1990's with your setup. I'm PC based so not familiar with solutions for macbooks.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As mentioned if you are OK with a stack, the E30/L30 stack can’t be beat. For a combo DAC/Amp, I think Topping DX3 Pro ($220) will work great.

Reactions: mkt

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's Awesome but my budget is 350$ not 1500$.
Right, so they newly announced Schiit Modius + Magnius should be close to the budget, just get a balanced cable for the Senns HD650s.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, so they newly announced Schiit Modius + Magnius should be close to the budget, just get a balanced cable for the Senns HD650s.
Shipping overseas from Schiit is around $50.

niceasmay

Sorry but I don't understand your problem. I have babyface and HD 650, working together as a charm. No problem with driving high impedance headphones.

dskelto

Not sure if op is still looking for a solution to this problem; but I use an RME Fireface UCX which also uses the very versatile Total Mix FX drivers from RME. Be sure to check the gain settings on the headphone output channel and set it to high if that option is available. Makes a huge difference when driving high impedence cans.

Top Bottom