• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEWS: monolith amp with Hypex amplification!

beren777

Hopefully someone with industry contacts can ask Hobie to send samples of the speakers and amps to Amir for review. It'd be nice to confirm that the custom Hypex module performs as well as their other products. I'm a little sad that they are using such a large case for it.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The fact that each class D amp module uses an actual heat sink instead of just bolting the raw modules to the relatively thin bottom sheet metal of a chassis I think is very important. In the data sheet for the modules published by Hypex, they stress the need for adequate heat sinking to realize the full power capability of the modules for extended use, especially in a multi-channel amp which might end up in a cramped AV rack where air flow might not be all that great.

The chassis is probably taller because the modules have large heat sinks and the amp is 8 channel instead of just 6.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So apparently 8 channels of NC502MP or NC252MP customized by Hypex by attaching a heatsink to their backs. And the same front panel as their current amps. Alright, nice move.

Current amp style.
145663.jpg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
So apparently 8 channels of NC502MP or NC252MP customized by Hypex by attaching a heatsink to their backs. And the same front panel as their current amps. Alright, nice move.

Current amp style.
View attachment 161836
If they're like the other Monolith amps, they will probably be available with several channel configurations.

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I've also heard that they're using a custom microcontroller circuit to control the startup functions (staggered startup of the modules to avoid AC line surges and all audio channels are un-muted at once), faults, and the trigger. That means no trigger relay so no worries about loading down the trigger line. :)

Last edited:

ChrisHeinonen

I didn't ask Hobie about that, but I will when he writes back. Though unlikely for me to get one of these, I have a number of friends that will be interested.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good news! I wish someone would release 2.1 Hypex or Purifi amp with remote control! :) Truly "people's amp"!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose internally they will end up looking like the Apollon NCMP8350 multichannel amp based on NC502MP modules mounted vertically, but instead of the engraved thick plate with the logo, they will use the heatsink style back plate.

Apollon-NCMP8350-8-Channel-Hypex-Amplifier-Inside-Iso.jpg

OP
fieldcar

fieldcar

engraved thick plate with the logo
That's kind of odd and scammy to me. Its purpose must be to make the unit feel heavier and look pretty in pictures, but for heat dissipation, it's kind of useless even if it is a cooler running class D.

Jdunk54nl

Just $3000. Not a bad price for 8 channels and for a nicer case and probably their 5 year warranty like on their other amps, but I would still go with Buckeye Amp offerings for a 6 channel 502mp at $1650.

tpeter

Just preorderd that new onkyo receiver and was going to get the 5-7channel monolith... should i wait for this newer one?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Just preorderd that new onkyo receiver and was going to get the 5-7channel monolith... should i wait for this newer one?
I think it really depends on if you prefer class D or class A/B.

tpeter

I think it really depends on if you prefer class D or class A/B.
I honestly don't know the difference... I've been using a 20 year old B&K AVR507 receiver since new on my 4ohm Polk LSI speakers... Just bought a new house with dedicated HT room so figured it was time to upgrade to this century... I appreciate your help

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I honestly don't know the difference... I've been using a 20 year old B&K AVR507 receiver since new on my 4ohm Polk LSI speakers... Just bought a new house with dedicated HT room so figured it was time to upgrade to this century... I appreciate your help
You can't go wrong either way. Class D is more energy efficient.

amper42

Major Contributor

Current amp style.
View attachment 161836

The Monolith Class D 8 channel amp will weigh 45 lbs instead of the 5-8 lbs for many stereo Class D amps. :)
The heat sinks add a ton of weight and are not needed except during long term playback at high volumes. It will be interesting to see pricing and measurements. My guess is the 8 channel will be priced over $2,800. And if Monolith follows previous pricing the stereo version will be the worst value per watt.

Jdunk54nl

The Monolith Class D 8 channel amp will weigh 45 lbs instead of the 5-8 lbs for many stereo Class D amps. :)
The heat sinks add a ton of weight and are not needed except during long term playback at high volumes. It will be interesting to see pricing and measurements. My guess is the 8 channel will be priced over $2,800. And if Monolith follows previous pricing the stereo version will be the worst value per watt.

They say the 8 channel 200w will be $2999 and 8x 100 will be $1999 in the video posted

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The heat sinks add a ton of weight and are not needed except during long term playback at high volumes.
The heatsinks are likely to help keep those capacitors that people here carp about more cool, which would be better for longer term longevity. You kinda get what you pay for. ;)

amper42

Major Contributor
The heatsinks are likely to help keep those capacitors that people here carp about more cool, which would be better for longer term longevity. You kinda get what you pay for. ;)

Except, in the Audio world where you can pretty much count on NOT getting what you thought you paid for -- most of the time. :p:D:facepalm:
That's why ASR is such a gift for those looking for detailed measurements and reviews.

Last edited:
Top Bottom