• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nordost SuperFlatLine Speaker Cable Review

Rate this speaker cable:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 250 93.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 3.7%

• Total voters

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have this ($19.99 new old stock on E-Bay, works fine, is paintable):View attachment 337282
I see your pile of copper and raise you:
202312_FlatCables.jpg

:p

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My experience with the Nordost cables leaves me speechless, if that is even possible.
Drop-dead gorgeous cables at best. Super flatline is technically correct though, because the snake oil cable does not deserve to have a music waveform passed through it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Drop-dead gorgeous cables at best. Super flatline is technically correct though, because the snake oil cable does not deserve to have a music waveform passed through it.
Aesthetic of cabling is just weird in the first place. Drop dead gorgeous is not possible knowing their marketing, just makes it a POS.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Aesthetic of cabling is just weird in the first place. Drop dead gorgeous is not possible knowing their marketing, just makes it a POS.
Nordost means Northern cheese in Danish (nord ost). Technically correct that Nordost is cheesy ...

Descartes

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Nordost SuperFlatLine speaker cable. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $360.
View attachment 292605
As you see, the cable name is fully descriptive with parallel copper traces running from one end to the other. The edges of the cable are somewhat sharp and overall the cable feels somewhat delicate (think flex PCB if you are an engineer). The terminations were surprisingly loose as I inserted them in the banana jacks of my Audio Precision analyzer.

Company provides a set of "specifications" which are hardly useful:
View attachment 292606

Nordost SuperFlatLine Speaker Cable Measurements
I tested the cable as if it were an interconnect (and hence with higher impedance than it would see in real life). There, the SuperFlatLine showed transparency with analyzer's internal bypass:
View attachment 292607
Seeing the large surface area of the cable and audiophiles always worrying about noise intrusion in cables, I put my usual test transformer at 90 degrees to the cable. This induce fair bit of mains noise:
View attachment 292608

I then switched the cable to a generic 12 gauge I bought form Amazon a while ago:

View attachment 292609

As you see, the induced noise level is much less now. The SuperFlatLine cable was so sensitive that having the transformer 12 inches away from it still induced fair amount of noise.

Note again that these are high impedance tests. With typical low impedance amplifier and speakers, it will be much harder to inject noise into a speaker cable. Still, all else being equal, the Nordost cable is much worse in this regard due to simple physics of its construction.

I also ran the classic frequency response test showing no difference between the cables (and no cable):
View attachment 292612

For grins, I set the analyzer to 1 MHz and pumped a 10 kHz squarewave into the cables:
View attachment 292613
As you see, there is not the slightest difference even though this signal is "illegal" in 44.1 kHz or even higher sampling rates.

Conclusions
The Norodost SuperFlatLine cable clearly falls in the category of paying more and getting less. It is much more susceptible to noise pick up, and its physical construction is a bit of a pain to deal with.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the Nordost SuperFlatLine cable.
----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I had a dealer trying to sell me their pure silver cables “Tyr 2 cables by Nordost”
after I told him that I wanted to demo them against my self terminated Mogami W3104 he said
”Oh that’s not even a comparison!”

So I borrowed them and plugged them in my home system and felt they were doing something wrong with the sound so I brought them back and was polite by telling him that they were not my cup of tea!!

What a massive ripoff these high end cables are!$6,400 for the pair

Top Bottom