• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinions on the Douk Audio U3 headphone amplifier

ciccio1378

I would be interested in purchasing this device, also for its very low cost. Can anyone who has tried it tell me the opinion of him? Thank you

600_OHM

I picked one up to play with without being too influenced by influencers. :)

I'm happy with it, but it will need testing / measurements (as received from the factory) to see if my subjective happiness is total malarky. Maybe it's better NOT to have it tested! :)

One of the few things I didn't really do any research on. Unusual for me.

I'm running it from just an older Anker 5v usb powerpack. Kind of a portable situation. One of the newer ones doesn't like it and immediately shuts off. There are those that want me to buy a $10K power supply for it with moondust cabling. I'm good for now.

It comes with an NE5532 op-amp, but the teaser that they promote is the ability op-amp roll. Not sure I'm into that. Problem with op-amp rolling is the never-ending discussion about it, and sometimes not taking into account the *supporting* circuitry is just as important.

So hearing a difference with a groovy new op-amp may not be the op-amp itself, but the surrounding circuitry not really designed to take advantage of the rolled op amp skewing the audible result! :)

So not sure if the U3, which comes with an NE5532 standard, is actually so well designed that you can just pop in anything, and have the supporting circuitry to be opaque? I doubt it.

So that's it. Works ok for me, but I'd love to see a test. Anything more, and it's all just conjecture based on how *my* brain works. YMMV.

OP
C

ciccio1378

I bought it a few weeks ago and I am very satisfied. I feed it through a 10,000 mAh-2A power bank. I don't hear any disturbances and the sound is very good.

600_OHM

That generally my opinion too. Maybe if I'm bored I'll roll an op-amp, but that's not why I bought it. And I didn't want a totally dedicated portable amp with it's own internal battery. I needed the freedom to supply my own. Don't want that internal batt going off in a glove compartment 10 years from now, so the Douk U3 caught my eye.

It's not the only option, but I went for it.

With an inline cheapie usb current meter, I'm pulling about 220ma on average from my bank. Totally separate, never connected to the computer - it only has ONE purpose - power the amp. No other cables attached - just the singular connection to the amp.

I do note that there is a minimum current draw on some of the "smart" powerbanks like Anker and others that if they see too *low* a current draw, they'll assume the worst and shut themselves off so that they don't totally drain if the user device is not stopping a charge first - that kind of thing.

The U3 current load ramps up a bit slowly when first turned on, and the second powerbank I have doesn't like it, and shuts off. We're talking the difference between say 20ma and 40ma, where my earlier model doesn't mind it. The big one - nope - too little current draw at first and shuts down.

(Or, it could simply be the "smart iq" or other smarts on one version doesn't like how the supplied cable is wired and the other does)

I'm sure there is some noise from the powerbank switching supply - if so, my ears aren't good enough to detect it.

Last edited:

600_OHM

Guess what - even if I'm getting bored, the most I'll do is replace the existing NE5532 with another one. :)

solderdude aptly put into it into perspective without my flowery language:

Most people do not realize that for a tonal change to occur the frequency response has to change in the audible band or oscillation or substantial amounts of distortion has to be there (all very measurable).

In case of opamps all of these aspects are determined by the components around the opamp which do not change when opamp swapping.

So unless one actually puts an op-amp roll to test *along with a test of the surrounding circuitry to see if it can take advantage of it*, differences you hear are usually due to a bad engineering combination, rather than an improved roll.

Unfortunately, my Fluke multimeter can't determine this by itself. :)

Just saying - if you roll, be prepared to roll with your conclusions ...

OP
C

ciccio1378

The idea of replacing the TI-NE5532 series opamp with others that are more performing on paper does not always give better results. There are several reviews on Amazon USA regarding this Douk and most of them are all positive. If you don't have an influence from the ridiculous cost, this device is certainly very good.

600_OHM

We're on the same page buddy! I'm enjoying mine.

I use it mostly for impromptu portable lashups, and have put the on/off switch through about 100 cycles now. So far, so good! But yeah, that blue laser-beam led. Easy to see in daylight.

Just being nerdy here ... hey, it's your box, have fun with it! :)

One thing new to me re the Amazon reviews: I never know you had to let an op-amp "warm up for a few hours". Ummm. What? I'll have to search for that one...

Maybe it *can* adequately support other op-amps without artificial circuit coloration. I don't know, since I don't have the measuring gear. Maybe others skilled in the art beyond the subjective and into objective measuring can give more guidance!

I've done cap-mods too with other gear, only to discover that what I was using was counterfeit Nakamichi's, or NOS from the 1980's. :)

Then again, when we put so much into it DIY, sometimes it might make more sense to simply jump into some Schiit.

Just messing with you man, I think it's a nice little value. I'm racking up some good hours on it already!

Last edited:

600_OHM

It was funny - it came in a plain little cardboard box. U3 marked with a sharpie-pen on the box.

Just the amp and cable wrapped a bit, and a small instruction foldover. No cards begging me for feedback, or anything that tried to tell me I'm about to have an "immersive experience".

Nice little piece of ear-candy.

kestrel4

My U3 buzzed, with both a PC and a Playstation. But that was when the provided USB power cable was plugged into a USB socket on the sound-source device. When an independent USB socket is used, it works fine.

Top Bottom