• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw Model 5000 Multichannel Amplifier Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Outlaw Model 5000 five channel home theater amplifier. It was kindly purchased by a member and drop shipped to me. Despite the number of channels and power of each, the Model 5000 costs only US $649 though shipping adds fair bit to it.

The shipping is expensive because this is thing is super heavy. It is at the limit of what I can reasonably carry upstairs to my lab (50 pounds):

Outlaw Model 5000 Five Channel Home Theater Surround Power Amplifier Review.jpg

My back nearly got killed just rotating the darn thing in my photo booth:
Outlaw Model 5000 Five Channel Home Theater Surround Power Amplifier Back Panel Connectors Rev...jpg

Sadly, as you see, there are no balanced XLR inputs. You are given heavy binding posts though which is nice.

Left and right channels are far apart which is the right away to do it as they, and the center channel get beat the most. And is most logical layout in my book.

In use the Model 5000 never complained, shut down or anything of the sort. The heatsinks are below the top cover so you can't exactly feel their temps. I would imagine it would shut down though if it got too hot.

Not much else to talk about so let's get into the measurements.

Amplifier Audio Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard of 1 kHz at 5 watts into 4 ohm load:
Outlaw Model 5000 Five Channel Home Theater Surround Power Amplifier Audio Measurements.png

Nice to see the gain at 29 dB which is the only recommended standard in the wild (from THX).

There is fair amount of mains hum and power supply noise. I improved them a bit with messing with grounding but this is the nature of the beast when a linear power supply is used.

Distortion is dominated by second harmonic which combined with noise and hum gives us a middle or the road SINAD:

Best Surround Home Theater Amplifiers Review 2020.png

Speaking of noise, there is our signal to noise ratio at 5 watts and near full power:

Outlaw Model 5000 Five Channel Home Theater Surround Power Amplifier SNR Audio Measurements.png

I like to see 96 dB or better at 5 watts to clear the dynamic range of the CD but we don't get there. At full power though, we meet that target and a bit more in the good channel.

Frequency response is basically flat in the audible band:

Outlaw Model 5000 Five Channel Home Theater Surround Power Amplifier Frequency Response Audio ...png

Testing with my simulated speaker model did not change the response hardly at all:
Outlaw Model 5000 Five Channel Home Theater Surround Power Amplifier Frequency Response Simula...png

Crosstalk was good as it should be in modular amplifiers like this with independent amps:

Outlaw Model 5000 Five Channel Home Theater Surround Power Amplifier Crosstalk Audio Measureme...png

Amplifier Power Measurements
Most important deal with any amplifier is its power versus distortion and noise so let's start with 8 ohm load:

Outlaw Model 5000 Five Channel Home Theater Surround Power Amplifier Power into 8 Ohms Audio M...png

Nice to see the Outlaw 5000 completely outclass our NAD AVR both in much lower noise, distortion and available power.

The picture is almost the same with 4 ohm load although distortion rises:
Outlaw Model 5000 Five Channel Home Theater Surround Power Amplifier Power into 4 Ohms Audio M...png

These are two channel tests. Adding two more 4 ohm loads power drops a bit naturally:

Outlaw Model 5000 Five Channel Home Theater Surround Power Amplifier Power into 4 Ohms 4 Chann...png

That is over 800 watts delivered into the load which is great.

Back to two channel power, here is what we get with short bust (simulating what you may get in music) and more steady state -- both at 1% THD+N:
Outlaw Model 5000 Five Channel Home Theater Surround Power Amplifier Peak Power Audio Measurem...png

The toughest test I run is power versus frequency while trying to achieve 0.1% THD+N. The amp has to deliver its output while being stressed the entire 3 to 4 minutes the test runs. Many AVRs quit. Not so with Outlaw 5000:
Outlaw Model 5000 Five Channel Home Theater Surround Max Power Sweep 4 Ohm Amplifier Audio Mea...png

As you see, it not only passed the 2 channel test, but also 4 channel. A quick statistical analysis of my high-res music library shows highest peaks at 40 Hz and that is where the cursor is. We are getting 252 watts at that frequency with two channels and 207 watts with four channels. Yes, it is lower than 1 kHz peak I use in other graphs but still a lot of power.

Conclusions
Despite its bargain price, the Outlaw Model 5000 is solidly built and delivers tons of power without complaining. It provides a clear setup over the built-in amplifiers in home theater AVRs. No, it doesn't deliver state of the art distortion and noise. For that, you will have to pay a lot more money. For what it is, it is very good and I am happy to recommend the Outlaw Model 5000.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Feeling pretty poor after spending so much money on Christmas. Appreciate all you can do to get me out of that by donating generously using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

iLoveCats

I always hold my breath when I see a product I own turn up on here. I have some extra grounding on my amp also because Audioholics recommended grounding the chassis.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only remaining question is...

Will it get the @restorer-john stamp of approval!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Forgot to note in the review that this amp does generate a lot of mechanical noise, especially when clipping. It hums and whines to the tune of the source frequency, audible to 3 feet or so. I could not hear it but my younger son with much better hearing could also hear its high pitch sounds when playing at just 5 watts. This was at 1 to 2 feet or so if you are above it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a whole lot of amplifier for ~$649.00 US.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's a whole lot of amplifier for the money. Apart from the significant S/N differences in the two channels Amir tested, it looks like a real bargain. As it stands it could also be used in a stereo bi-amp setup with a "spare" channel.

Probably some of the internal amplifier channels benefit in placement with respect to the power transformer than others, so experimentation to find the two best for stereo would be a worthwhile endeavor.

Found this on the 'net:

1577493771311.png

I'd be testing the two channels to the far right as likely the quietest. Nice juicy cap banks, 4 caps for each channel.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a whole lot of amplifier for the money. Apart from the significant S/N differences in the two channels Amir tested, it looks like a real bargain. As it stands it could also be used in a stereo bi-amp setup with a "spare" channel.

Probably some of the internal amplifier channels benefit in placement with respect to the power transformer than others, so experimentation to find the two best for stereo would be a worthwhile endeavor.

Found this on the 'net:

View attachment 43865

I'd be testing the two channels to the far right as likely the quietest. Nice juicy cap banks, 4 caps for each channel.
With the layout on that it would be a pleasure to service. Very logical.
https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html
Surprisingly those capacitors are 6,800 μF each.

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
@amirm ,

Suggestion: When reviewing amps, include if final output is Class D, or AB. Helps us to compare and note the advantages/disadvantages of each compared to others of it's type.

Which is this?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm ,

Suggestion: When reviewing amps, include if final output is Class D, or AB. Helps us to compare and note the advantages/disadvantages of each compared to others of it's type.

Which is this?
According to a review I found. The Model 5000 is a five-channel, Class AB design rated at 120 watts per channel, with all channels driven at a nominal impedance of eight-ohms, across the audible frequency range from 20 Hz to 20 kHz at less than 0.02 percent Total Harmonic Distortion.

jasonq997

Forum Donor
Looks really solid. Do you guys know if this one is actually from ATI?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm ,

Which is this?
I should have noted that it is class AB. You can always tell it is AB when I complain about how heavy they are. :)

D

Deleted member 2944

I guess all of these new Outlaw amps are sourced in China now, vice ATI??

Dave.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Outlaw doesn't state a factory location on the web page although the back panel of the Model 5000 states made in the P.R. China
It states>
"Factory? We're Outlaws! We don't need no stinkin' factory!!"
It's true, we have no factory, and we never will. If you are not building huge quantities of products, factories are very inefficient and add unnecessary overhead to the final manufacturing cost. We are designers and engineers. First we spec and design our products, and then we locate the best possible venue for their manufacture. We are convinced that by matching a specific product to its ideal manufacturing venue, we will always deliver the best and most cost-effective A/V components. This development and manufacturing model, combined with a direct sales channel exclusive to the Internet, allows us to offer the best possible values to our customers.
https://www.outlawaudio.com/about/factory.html

jasonq997

Forum Donor
Outlaw doesn't state a factory location on the web page although the back panel of the Model 5000 states made in the P.R. China
It states>
"Factory? We're Outlaws! We don't need no stinkin' factory!!"
It's true, we have no factory, and we never will. If you are not building huge quantities of products, factories are very inefficient and add unnecessary overhead to the final manufacturing cost. We are designers and engineers. First we spec and design our products, and then we locate the best possible venue for their manufacture. We are convinced that by matching a specific product to its ideal manufacturing venue, we will always deliver the best and most cost-effective A/V components. This development and manufacturing model, combined with a direct sales channel exclusive to the Internet, allows us to offer the best possible values to our customers.
https://www.outlawaudio.com/about/factory.html

Ok, works for me. I was wondering about the excellent pricing. Monoprice offers a more powerful (according to them) 5 channel amp that I think is made by ATI for about twice the cost. ATI in their latest offerings seems to have moved toward Hypex modules (something I secretly hope the Chinese take some inspiration from).

I think this unit hits a really nice sweet spot for the home theater market.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, works for me. I was wondering about the excellent pricing. Monoprice offers a more powerful (according to them) 5 channel amp that I think is made by ATI for about twice the cost. ATI in their latest offerings seems to have moved toward Hypex modules (something I secretly hope the Chinese take some inspiration from).

I think this unit hits a really nice sweet spot for the home theater market.
Yes, for sure it hits a sweet spot. Getting five channels totaling 600 watts total w/ all channels driven at eight-ohms, 20 Hz to 20 kHz at less than 0.02 percent Total Harmonic Distortion for $649.00 US is a great deal. As a bonus it's built well and any qualified electronic tech would be happy to service it if required.

Top Bottom