• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phantom center vs. hard panned sound level

Bartez2000

I can't find such a topic anywhere and I think it may be very interesting and important because of the soudstage and imaging. Does anyone of you know what the best proportion of the phantom center level vs. hard panned level? Should they be at the same level in the sweetspot or maybe at a different one? Let's take sine, for example. We play both speakers in mono and then pan 100% to the left. How much quieter should the signal on the left be? It's very interesting what you think about this.

Best regards
B.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't find such a topic anywhere and I think it may be very interesting and important because of the soudstage and imaging. Does anyone of you know what the best proportion of the phantom center level vs. hard panned level? Should they be at the same level in the sweetspot or maybe at a different one? Let's take sine, for example. We play both speakers in mono and then pan 100% to the left. How much quieter should the signal on the left be? It's very interesting what you think about this.

Best regards
B.
It depends on what panning law your equipment uses: https://samplecraze.com/tutorials/the-pan-law/

This is not often talked about in consumer playback situations since it's pretty rare to use the balance controls, most equipment doesn't even have one. However, it comes up all the time in recording / broadcast, so you will find all you need to know on the subject if you go down those rabbit holes.

Top Bottom