• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf Speaker Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR desktop/bookshelf budget speakers. I purchased them recently from Amazon for US $118 including Prime shipping. But I hear they go on sale for much less money.

The build quality is incredible given the very low price:

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget bookshelf speaker review.jpg

The enclosure is rather tall but not very heavy. I was pleasantly surprised by the nice, high quality binding posts in the back:

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget bookshelf speaker back panel review.jpg

The curved cabinet is an excellent touch and one that is expected on high-end speakers. There is no sloppy glue and such as I have seen on some drivers on budget speakers.

Measurements are performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics) to subtract room reflections. It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

Spinorama Audio Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker can be used. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget bookshelf speaker Spinorama CEA 2034 Audio Measurements.png

We like to see flat on-axis response as indicated by my arrow in red. Below about 1 kHz we are surprisingly close to that. The crossover frequency is at 3 kHz and we can see peaking of the response before it, and droop after it.

Early reflections though are smooth (in dashed blue) so that is good.

Zooming into "directivity index" tells us how close the direct sound of the speaker is relative to what hits all the other surfaces and then arrives at our ear:

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget bookshelf speaker Spinorama CEA 2034 directivity Audio Measurements.png

We see some deviations above 2 kHz but not bad for a budget speaker.

If you were to put these in a room (as opposed to desktop), this is the predicted frequency response/tonality of the speaker where we mix the direct sound with reflections:

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget bookshelf speaker Spinorama CEA 2034 Predictive In-room Response Aud...png

Deviations are small meaning this is more of a neutral speaker.

Basic Speaker Measurements
Here is the impedance (and phase) of the speaker relative to frequency:
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget bookshelf speaker  Impedance and Phase Measurements.png

Anytime there is a kink/little wiggle in the response, it indicates a resonance. We have at least a couple of these, one around 280 Hz and another at 1.6 kHz. The former is not showing up in the frequency response measurement so not material. There are some peaks around 1 kHz in the frequency response which means they are more material than what we are seeing here.

Here are distortion measurements which are supposed to be done in anechoic chamber but were not (so ignore data below 200 Hz or so):

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget bookshelf speaker desktop THD percent Audio Measurements.png

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget bookshelf speaker desktop THD Audio Measurements.png

Advanced Speaker Measurements
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget bookshelf speaker Spinorama CEA 2034 Early Reflections Audio Measure...png

Notice that the early reflections are smoother than on-axis. Translation: don't follow the mob on the Internet and put absorbers everywhere.
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget bookshelf speaker Vertical and Horizontal Directivity.png

I reduced the number of graphs here to better highlight the ones that are likely to be at play in your listening room:
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget bookshelf speaker Full Vertical and Horizontal Directivity.png

On the left I have highlighted 20 and 30 degrees which would show the response if you did NOT toe in the speaker to point at your ear.
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget bookshelf speaker horizontal contour.png

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget bookshelf speaker Vertical contour.png

Eye-candy Speaker Measurements
Here is the soundfield from the speaker at crossover frequency of 3000 Hz:

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget bookshelf speaker Crossover Directivity .png

If you had an ideal, full-bandwidth driver, you would get one balloon pointing at the listener. But due to interference between the tweeter and woofer, you have three speakers playing at once! One at your ear and then one point up and another pointing down.

Full spin data is enclosed.

Informal Listening Tests
My first impression was positive, listening to what was mostly a balanced response. In a few minutes though, I found the speaker bright a bit due to lack of deep bass. I toed the speaker away from my ears and that made a drastic difference, balancing the tonality considerably. Compared to my JBL LSR305P Mark II, the JBL had much better bass but otherwise had similar tonality which is to say the Pioneer was doing well. Let me backtrack that a bit: there is a bit too much mid-range in the pioneer.

On loudness test, deep lows play a bit but then the speaker falls apart drastically, getting super distorted. Techno music with higher frequency bass was handled much better. If you have an option of cutting out the very lows in your playback software, I would do that.

Conclusions
I remember meeting Andrew Jones at CES years ago when he had first brought out these (or was it the older generation) ones. I asked him what made them sound good and he said: "people making budget speakers put in 10 cent parts. I spend $1 and that makes a big difference!" Naturally there is more there in the form of a skilled designer than typical budget speaker.

Overall, the mission is accomplished in designing a speaker that is not offensive despite its low cost. It looks good and seems to perform well.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

It is half hour before midnight as I am typing this review. For some odd reasons, the TV networks play all these food commercials making me hungry for some lobster! Please donate a few dollars so I can get some tomorrow using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Spinorama #2.zip
    89 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Dennis Murphy Pioneer SP-BS22-LR DIY Modifications
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...-pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-diy-modifications.610820/

Clarified and optimized

Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Mod4.jpg

Cut four pieces of the Sonic Barrier acoustic foam to install in the bottom half of the cabinet. The two side pieces are 7” x 4 ½”. I recommend making a template for the bottom piece. If you plan your cuts carefully, you will actually have enough for four speakers...

Updated: I think is much better idea something like No-Rez. http://gr-research.com/norez24x27sheet.aspx.

norez1.jpg

Or a DIY sandwich with alubutyl, viscoelastic material... old bitumen / asphalt.

Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Mod-Schematic-by-Dennis-Murphy.png

The new tweeter filter:

Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Mod14-crossover-by-Dennis-Murphy.jpg

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I remember meeting Andrew Jones at CES years ago when he had first brought out these (or was it the older generation) ones. I asked him what made them sound good and he said: "people making budget speakers put in 10 cent parts. I spend $1 and that makes a big difference!" Naturally there is more there in the form of a skilled designer than typical budget speaker.

Overall, the mission is accomplished in designing a speaker that is not offensive despite its low cost. It looks good and seems to perform well.

It's funny Amir, I was hoping you'd get a pair of these horrors to test. The 22s were upgraded, but they needed to be. The 21s were absolutely atrocious.

I own (sent to my dad's) a pair of the first generation ones (the SP-B21 LR) and a pair of the larger floor standing version, the SP-B21 FS. I bought them just for fun, expecting something partially decent. They are without a doubt the worst sounding small bookshelf speakers I've ever heard or owned. The floorstanders are equally as hideous. Not my imagination either, compared them to numerous other budget and mid-priced similar speakers, side by side, and other people/friends thought the same. Many, many others feel exactly the same way.

They took on undeserved life of their own via the internet and group-think hype.

My quote to my father when I took them to his place to see if he could find a use for them (I suggested a stand for real speakers) was "they have no redeeming sonic qualities whatsoever". He thinks they are OK for listening to the cricket on AM. I told him they are his to do with what he wants, up to and including putting them outside with "free" taped to them. Trouble is, some poor young hipster might think they represent what HiFi actually sounds like, and that in itself would be a tragedy of epic proportions.

If you weren't so far away, I'd happily give them to you to test and compare to your 22s and then leave out on the footpath (sidewalk) for recycling when done. I'm happy to go grab them and do a photographic tear-down to compare the 1st vs 2nd generation if you like.

I do agree, the cabinet is a stand-out in finishing for the money and that's the only reason I didn't throw them out altogether.

:)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yay, woke up to something good this time! Indeed better than the Micca (and not a pain to power), due note that the original MSRP was $159.99, they likely reduced it to compete with Micca.

Preference Rating
SCORE: 5.0
SCORE w/ subwoofer: 7.5

Amir, would you say they sounded better than the LS50? You stated they also fell apart with loud bass and you couldn’t get excited with them.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...xu5dF5RlkiiaupVlNDvJfBMLlhO_eh4SCfgTv/pubhtml
Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 4.59.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 4.59.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 9.06.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 5.00.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 5.00.37 AM.png
@amirm, can you add 90 degree horizontal to the zip file? Also, the exclusion of the negative horizontal measurements made me alter the formulas of my sheet, are you going to keep doing that for symmetrical designs (so I can alter the cell references), so was it just this once?

Last edited:

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Its not first of April but think there is something wrong or amirm is jokeing here ;), at a normal presentation graphs are based a full space scan in steps of 10º per hor/ver, now look at hor/ver step graphs presented in review, they show a kind of non symetric half space scanning, what going on here :p

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its not first of april but think there is something wrong or amirm is jokeing here ;), at a normal presentation graphs are based a full space scan in steps of 10º per hor/ver, now look at hor/ver step graphs presented in review, they show a kind of non symetric half space scanning, what going on here :p

I'm guessing he's trying to figure out how to make those graphs readable because the previous ones were completely useless as far as I can tell. E: I mean you cannot even figure out which line is which in the previous graphs, and even rough patterns are mostly obliterated by the excessive line density.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

bigx5murf

I had a pair of the BS21. At the time I also had a pair of monitor audio silver 3i, Klipsch sb1, NHT super one, and AR m2. I found the BS21 to be subjectively inferior to everything and quickly sold them. But to be fair, I eventually sold everything I compared them to, except for the monitor audios, which I gifted to my dad.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm partial to my presentation:p
Opening the Sheets version also allows you to "highlight" each degree.

I like that a lot, especially the normalized version :) Nice work! I still like the contour maps a bit better because you can immediately see directivity width, but with colors and interactivity the line graphs are not bad at all.

Last edited:

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I like that a lot, especially the normalized version :) Nice work! I still like the contour maps a bit better because you can immediately see directivity width, but with colors and interactivity the line graphs are not bad at all.

If you guys want, I'll post one of my versions with this data later.
Example here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-rc3r-3-way-speaker-review.11218/post-318505

No need to reply and clutter up the thread; if you want me to do that just give me a 'like' so I'll know. If no 'likes' then I know not to bother. :)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a ton of these little speakers on the market. But I've never heard a little speaker that got me very excited. Even with the obligatory subwoofer. For people that can't (or don't want to) spend larger dollars, and for obvious cosmetic (+WAF) reasons, it's good for consumers to be able to buy something physically small that sound OK, and for small dollars.

Back in the day and over the years the question among audiophiles and reviewers has been whether you need 'big' speakers for 'life-like' sound. Many say, "No. You don't. A little speaker plus sub will do." But I think the answer is, "Yes. You do. And while you are at it, you'll probably want a sub, too."

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
Even eight years later these speakers sound pretty good to me. They're in my livingroom 5.1 system (my TV/games system, not really used for music) because crossed over to a subwoofer and corrected with Audyssey... these are very enjoyable.

Without a subwoofer? Yes, then the bass definitely turns into a farty mess. =)

A nice thing about crossing them over to a subwoofer is that you can definitely get away with crossing them at 60hz instead of the usual 80hz. In my experience this makes subwoofer integration easier and better.

Back in the day and over the years the question among audiophiles and reviewers has been whether you need 'big' speakers for 'life-like' sound. Many say, "No. You don't. A little speaker plus sub will do." But I think the answer is, "Yes. You do. And while you are at it, you'll probably want a sub, too."

I don't disagree, but I think it's wonderful that for $300-$400 (amp, subwoofer, speakers like these) one can have a really decent and nearly full-range audio system.

It is a great way for folks to get into the hobby!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a pair of these for a month while my LS50's were being repaired. They didn't do much for me and although I only paid $100 for them, they went back to Fry's. The insignificantly more expensive 305P MkII's were miles ahead with useful bass and amplification thrown in.

jaykay77

I bought these years ago because of the hype.

They suck.

I ripped them apart, built in a little Dayton amp and Bluetooth and used them in the garage. Then I just tossed ‘em.

I’ll stick with garage sale ADS and paradigms for the cheap

Last edited:

Dogen

Forum Donor
I find myself helping friends put together inexpensive music systems, and these are my usual recommendations. I have a couple of pairs myself in non-critical locations. Yes, they don’t handle loud bass well, but everyone is delighted with their performance. Considered as value for the money, they’re amazing.

I would be interested in hearing what others consider better value speakers at this price point.
Thanks for the review, Amir!

SmackDaddies

I would be interested in hearing what others consider better value speakers at this price point.

That is indeed the question, especially when they have been as low as 69$ a pair, delivered. But even at $120, where are you comparing them too?

All speakers involve compromises (well, perhaps not TAD 1's, but seriously). I especially enjoy the mids on these, and the highs are fine for me, as my hearing is fading from age and abuse. Bass? These are 4" drivers people. Get a subwoofer and a proper crossover. You cannot expect a speaker with drivers of this size to produce bass below 60.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Thanks for reviewing these! I've never heard a pair (astonishingly enough). Almost snagged a pair at a townwide yardsale in nearby Cornish, NH a couple of years back, but the seller wouldn't sell 'em apart from some cheezy modern Pioneer receiver that I seriously didn't want (much less need).

It's interesting that Jones' designs (at least his budget designs) seem to oscillate between bright and laid-back. To wit, the orignal morph of the ELAC Debut B6 had a reputation of being rolled off in the treble, which Jones et al. apparently addressed in the "Debut 2.0 B6.2" morph.

1581091461379.png

I do have a pair of the latter (bought when they were on sale very cheap in late 2018) -- I certainly wouldn't call 'em bright, though.

Top Bottom