• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power amplifier for Focal Theva N2

simont

Hi all,

I have just purchased a set of Focal Theva N2 speakers. After auditioning them a while ago (on an NAD nCore amplifier), I found a good deal on them last week from the same dealer. So far, I am very very pleased with the purchase. They are currently powered by a MiniDSP Flex (RCA, with Dirac Live) into an NAD 302 amplifier (power amp section only). As the amplifier is an entry level model from the 90s, I assume that I will be able to get an audible upgrade by replacing it with a modern amplifier.

I have two questions:

The NAD has 23dB gain and I am using -10dB attenuators on the inputs. The Thevas are very sensitive, and I find I'm not really listening above -10dB or so on the Flex (so basically << 10dB gain) at 2-3 m distance. That means I don't need a lot of power, to put it mildly. Also, if I end up with an amplifier with a ~25dB gain, is there any benefit to using the attenuators or can I simply dial in an offset on the Flex? Is there any real benefit to getting an amplifier that has a low gain option?

Looking into amplifiers, I see two broad options:
  • Hypex NCxxxMP based amplifier, around the €500 mark. I suspect that the NC122MP will be more than sufficient for my needs, but the NC252MP should sound essentially the same, as I understand it. This is a very affordable option, but I have seen some remarks about a perceived lack of reliability, and the gain is very high for what I need (see above).
  • Going high, and jump for a Nilai or Eigentakt amplifier around the €1500 mark. This may be overkill for a €1000 set of speakers, but would I hear a difference? It also comes with a distinct step up in build quality, power efficiency, etc. which is worth something in terms of pride of ownership. These amplifiers also offer low gain settings and future proofing, in case i don't wait another 20 years to get new speakers.
Do you have any suggestions? I am based in the Netherlands.
Simon

Last edited:
Top Bottom