• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PSI Audio Avaa C20 experience

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I want to share with you some of my experience with PSI AVAA C20. I have a mixing and mastering studio, my main monitors are Genelec 8351B with two 7260A in mono in the corners. On top of the treatment I decided to add one C20 and after success with one I just bought a second one. I tried to move them around and try different spots, but overall I like what they do on the back wall in the corners. I attach both frequency response and decay times for low end. As you can see they're effective even at 20Hz. The brown plot is AVAA off, blue is AVAA on. Both frequency response and decay cleans up beautifully. Overall I can recommend them even at their price, especially if you fight the 20Hz battle (which is 15Hz actually here) and have system capable of it.

Attachments

• no avaa fr 2.png
    no avaa fr 2.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 478
  • no avaa 2.png
    no avaa 2.png
    222.7 KB · Views: 477
  • avaa on 2.0.png
    avaa on 2.0.png
    195.9 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to share with you some of my experience with PSI AVAA C20. I have a mixing and mastering studio, my main monitors are Genelec 8351B with two 7260A in mono in the corners. On top of the treatment I decided to add one C20 and after success with one I just bought a second one. I tried to move them around and try different spots, but overall I like what they do on the back wall in the corners. I attach both frequency response and decay times for low end. As you can see they're effective even at 20Hz. The brown plot is AVAA off, blue is AVAA on. Both frequency response and decay cleans up beautifully. Overall I can recommend them even at their price, especially if you fight the 20Hz battle and have system capable of it.
thanks for this
wondering if you have a graph that shows the comparison of using one vs two of them.
they are not cheap so wondering if two are necessary.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They do work, I tried two here but they were nowhere near as effective and the OP, they reduced ( an admittedly huge reinforcement) by around 5dB, I would have needed at least another two of them.
Keith

OP
H

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
thanks for this
wondering if you have a graph that shows the comparison of using one vs two of them.
they are not cheap so wondering if two are necessary.
sure, here you go, colours as before plus single ones, seems like one is exactly half as effective as two, so at least I know they don't overlap even if there's like 2 meters between them

Attachments

• right on.png
    right on.png
    212.1 KB · Views: 264
  • left on.png
    left on.png
    208.7 KB · Views: 262
  • avaa 1 on.png
    avaa 1 on.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 261

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to share with you some of my experience with PSI AVAA C20. I have a mixing and mastering studio, my main monitors are Genelec 8351B with two 7260A in mono in the corners. On top of the treatment I decided to add one C20 and after success with one I just bought a second one. I tried to move them around and try different spots, but overall I like what they do on the back wall in the corners. I attach both frequency response and decay times for low end. As you can see they're effective even at 20Hz. The brown plot is AVAA off, blue is AVAA on. Both frequency response and decay cleans up beautifully. Overall I can recommend them even at their price, especially if you fight the 20Hz battle and have system capable of it.
Looks very similar to my room and what two C20s do there.
1685365249958.png

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
sure, here you go, colours as before plus single ones, seems like one is exactly half as effective as two, so at least I know they don't overlap even if there's like 2 meters between them
thank you.
It seems they recommend 2-4 per room and based upon your charts, it make sense

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I still have the remotes for them here I think, if anyone could use them let me know.
Keith

Adi777

Is it possible to calculate how large standard passive bass traps would work just as well?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Start with a three metre depth of rockwool on every surface and add as necessary from there.
Keith

OP
H

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Is it possible to calculate how large standard passive bass traps would work just as well?
I don't know of a pressure based trap that work this wide, low and effective

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Wow, that much? Maybe it's not that expensive for what it does.
Not expensive and if you have a large room you may have a whole cubic metre of free space to sit in.
Keith

OP
H

holdingpants01

Forum Donor

keep in mind that passive absorption is not as effective as having a hole in the wall and especially not in this wide range

Zrzut ekranu 2023-05-29 o 19.13.22.png

MengW

I want to share with you some of my experience with PSI AVAA C20. I have a mixing and mastering studio, my main monitors are Genelec 8351B with two 7260A in mono in the corners. On top of the treatment I decided to add one C20 and after success with one I just bought a second one. I tried to move them around and try different spots, but overall I like what they do on the back wall in the corners. I attach both frequency response and decay times for low end. As you can see they're effective even at 20Hz. The brown plot is AVAA off, blue is AVAA on. Both frequency response and decay cleans up beautifully. Overall I can recommend them even at their price, especially if you fight the 20Hz battle (which is 15Hz actually here) and have system capable of it.

Last month, PSI released new AVAA C214 in NAMM.

Just now, found out this page with the price, about £3K.
1685420908755.png

alex-z

Wow, that much? Maybe it's not that expensive for what it does.

Well mineral wool is a poor choice for deep bass, you want something with lower density, so the sound waves can penetrate the material and achieve higher overall absorption.

Typical mineral wool is about 8-10K Pa.s/m2, at which density going beyond 12" of thickness offers minimal benefit, and getting more than 50% absorption at 50Hz doesn't work. If you drop down to about 4K Pa.s/m2, a 2ft thick absorber can be 70% effective at 50Hz.

The AVAA is definitely worth the money for small and medium rooms, where losing 1-2ft of space per wall is unacceptable.

OP
H

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Last month, PSI released new AVAA C214 in NAMM.

Just now, found out this page with the price, about £3K.
View attachment 289127
They announced it but it's not available as far I know, more expensive, smaller but more effective so the final result is about the same, I had one C20 before - there was really no point for me to wait for the new one, though I'm certainly curious how they compare

OP
H

holdingpants01

Forum Donor

from the posted research. The whole thing is a fun read, even if I don't understand 99,9% of it lol

Zrzut ekranu 2023-05-30 o 09.24.19.png

SDC

8 inch driver in it is too small IMO.

Results are good in graph but don't know how loud the avaa is gonna hold up too.

Top Bottom