• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Puffin Phono DSP - tube & tape distortion emulation

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
As someone who uses a DSP-based in my Devialet, I'm a big advocate of the benefits of digital-based vinyl replay (although analog purists would burn me at the stake).

But the options are few and far between for DSP-vinyl lovers, so it's nice to see this box, which not only does LP equalization, but has settings to add tube and tape distortion to inputs as well, including line-level inputs like CD:

http://parksaudiollc.com/#next

And it doesn't cost a fortune!

The tube setting adds 2nd order harmonic distortion, the tape setting adds 3rd order. And you can use them both together to go totally retro.

Gain is claimed to be up to 72dB, which in analog electronics would be nearly ludicrous to claim without huge noise, but based upon what I've heard using the gain in my Devialet, I believe it.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I have something like that on hand at the moment, a really clever emulation circuit designed by Dimitri Danyuk. I hope it ends up being commercialized.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I have something like that on hand at the moment, a really clever emulation circuit designed by Dimitri Danyuk. I hope it ends up being commercialized.

"emulation circuit" sounds very different....the Puffin does all the emulation in software.

Or am I misunderstanding the Danyuk circuit?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Dimitri accomplished the same function in the analog domain through some very clever circuitry.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Dimitri accomplished the same function in the analog domain through some very clever circuitry.

Oh, I guess for analog purists, that might be interesting.

For me, I'd rather do it in software for the greater flexibility, ability to combine with RIAA, EQ, etc.

Top Bottom