• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about Topping DACs

Hi all,
I'm looking to upgrade my computer DAC with another external USB unit. Currently I'm using a Meridian Explorer (original version) and while I can't complain much about it, I think my Sennheiser HD650s may have room for improvement with a different DAC/amp. The Topping D50 is appealing to me for a number of reasons: good price/performance ratio, I like the design and it would fit nicely in the crowded workspace of my desk. However, the one thing the D50 does NOT do is drive headphones. Hence my first question: would it be a terrible idea to plug the 650s into the D50 using a mechanical adapter? I have precisely such a thing already sitting on my desk for another installation, so for me it would be a simple solution. Please don't suggest a dedicated headphone amp, I don't want another component on my desk, and most importantly, the cables that go with it.
Which brings me to a second question: can the dx7(s) be used as a preamp? I went through the manual and unless I misread it the rear outputs are fixed. I could make an effort and go for the DX7s on the condition that I could also use it in my main system as a DAC/pre driving a power amp (and also a subwoofer, having XLR+RCA is an interesting bonus and a major selling point for me). However, like I said, it seems that the one thing the DX7 doesn't do is function as a pre. Is that really so?

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
I think your issue with the D50's going to be volume, and the higher output impedance of the line outputs will also affect the voltage going into the 650s. But, it might work, especially if you listen at lower volumes or to mostly modern music with minimal dynamics. You could try plugging into the Meridian Explorer's line output and seeing if that's enough volume.

And while an owner can correct me, when I was doing research on the DX7, I saw it could be used as a preamp with the Headphone + Line Out button on the remote, it's the Line Out button that forces it in fixed mode.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Which brings me to a second question: can the dx7(s) be used as a preamp? I went through the manual and unless I misread it the rear outputs are fixed.
It is selectable. I have used it as a pre-amp to drive my active JBL speakers and it works great there.

On your other question, no you don't want to use the RCA outs to drive headphones. They will be anemic in level and will change the frequency response of your headphones due to high output impedance.

Top Bottom