• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about Windows Driver Model

junki

Amir, do you know the definitive answer for what the default playback bitrate and sample rate should be in Windows? I've long selected 24-bit (only choice) 44.1 KHz, assuming anything that's not WASAPI exclusive mode or ASIO will be resampled to 24-bit 44.1KHz before being sent it to my DAC. I choose this because most of my music is in 44.1 KHz, so, I figured it was optimal.

Can you confirm whether my assumptions are right?

OP
junki

junki

Your assumptions are right and that is what I use. I plan to someday measure all of this but for now, that is the logical choice.
I'm particularly concerned with the quality of Window's resampler, especially between 44.1 KHz and 48 KHz. Archimago's measurements of DirectSound's upsampling is especially awful. Would love to see measurements for Windows 10 Creator's, and if something like 176.4 to 48 is better than 44.1 to 48.

gvl

Major Contributor
Even setting the sound device to 44.1kHz isn't a guarantee of anything. Why not just use ASIO or WASAPI?

OP
junki

junki

Even setting the sound device to 44.1kHz isn't a guarantee of anything. Why not just use ASIO or WASAPI?

Because I like to listen to music while still using other applications that output sound. Like short YouTube clips, or gaming.

gvl

Major Contributor
Because I like to listen to music while still using other applications that output sound. Like short YouTube clips, or gaming.

Who knows what Windows mixer is doing behind the scenes if it needs to merge several audio streams, it may upsample all, merge, then downsample to 44.1, I mean, your sound device setting may have little meaning for the reasons you asked. Just trust your ears what sounds best in such a case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom