• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend me some fun speakers for a large room, don't need to be "reference"

izeek

The JBLs, I’ve been thinking about are those big old 5x0s that go on big discount between bf and end of year, 570, 580, 590, anyone have these and like them? I’m just not familiar with those linked above
havent but they rate very well, especially, moneywise as they go on sale often.
i have an earlier series, studio L I890, if the 590s are even near mine in performance, id expect them to sound really great as my L890s are fab.
and for the hdis to be even better. they review very well and are noted for scale of sound.
side note, imo, jbls always sound better with strong amps.

melomane13

The JBLs, I’ve been thinking about are those big old 5x0s that go on big discount between bf and end of year, 570, 580, 590, anyone have these and like them? I’m just not familiar with those linked above
i have 590. it is a big speaker, with big sound, for little money, if you can find it.
i have buy it 10 years ago, after 3 years have buy center 520, and after also 3 years two 530 for my bedroom. I can definitely say I love Jbl studio 5(X)0 series!

today, if I had to buy speakers, I would look at professional amplified monitors, Neumann, Adam or Genelec

Pareto Pragmatic

Warfdale Lintons are bigger, and well reviewed. I would consider those, then compare alternatives to see what knocks them off the list

Used Heresies is a good option, but I strongly suggest putting them up and level, not using the risers, if you go that route. The risers are... interesting... to get set up right.

Given wanting sound in other rooms/spaces, you might want to consider something with narrower vertical directivity. I find that helps get more sound into adjacent spaces. Sorry I don't have any examples, I was not looking for narrow on my latest speaker purchase.

Enjoy the hunt!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Big & fun makes me think of PA speakers, and something with woofers bigger than 8-inches. PA speakers tend to be more efficient (louder with less power) and you get "more sound" for the money.

But your space isn't THAT big and I don't know how loud you like to go...

Pareto Pragmatic

Seems like you can get used Forte IIIs for under $2k. That would be a better choice than Heresies I think. They definitely look big and sound big, go lower for bass than the heresies as well.

Shipping kills on big speakers, but finding some relatively local might be possible.

All that said, I find my Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX to play just as "big" as my vintage heresies in my room, at sufficient volume. With no sub (they go to 40, the Fortes go to 38, my particular modified Heresies are pretty weak below 60). So don't discount ALL smaller speakers is my suggestion.

The Heresies sound "bigger" in the rest of the house, at any given volume, on both floors of the house. V1 heresies, so really, really narrow vertical dispersion given the horn design. Very PA vibe to them.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Top Bottom