• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replicate E-ink with OLED

MKreroo

I'm curious, assuming there's an OLED display that barely reflects any of the ambient light from the screen surface, and there's an E-ink display beside, both display have similar surface finish, and both the ambient light and the OLED don't flicker.
Would it be possible for the OLED display to replicate the E-ink display by adjusting it's brightness level and color to match the E-ink display? How different would it be perceived by a user.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
That's a lot of assuming! In theory if you got everything just right they should be indistinguishable. In practice you might achieve it under a limited set of lighting conditions, if at all. What will be seen differently depends on what you didn't manage to match. I'd guess at not managing to match brightness in changing lighting conditions, or overall brightness in direct light. That's before you get to trying to mimic the e-ink state change.

popej

eink.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One emits light, the other reflects it. They will never give the same perception.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally, I've not really found the need to use an e-reader since phones started getting large AMOLED screens - I think my first phone with an AMOLED would have been a Google Nexus 6 - however, I am comfortable reading white text on a black background, which doesn't suit everyone.

I considered buying one of the larger e-readers recently (probably a Boox), but I couldn't bring myself to spend so much on a device which such a low power CPU and aging version of Android (apparently Googles device certification requirements are difficult to pass with an e-ink screen, so they lag behind devices with LCD/OLED screens). I ended up buying an 11" Lenovo tablet with a 2K OLED screen and putting a paper like matte screen protector on it which helps with both reading and writing on the tablet. It's a nice size for reading technical documents like IBM Redbooks (the camera on my Poco F3 doesn't do it justice)...

IMG_20230905_184810.jpg

Top Bottom