• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Cypher Labs Theorem 720 and Fiio Q1 DAC and Headphone Amp

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It's funny that you sent an article from an author that had expectation bias interms of not thinking there would be a difference. Not that I disagree with him. I think he'll save me money over the years.

I liken it to the fact when my wife watches something in our bedroom on a 12 year old tv with Imo terrible picture quality and tells me it's about the same as our oled. In the store though when she could see the tv's at the same time compared to tv's the same age and in a closer cost bracket she thought it was much better. Unfortunately, we can't compare audio at the same time. When Ethan states that the signals are the same and nulled to zero or indistinguishable that may be because audio testing is flawed by the fact that we can't compare things by our ears accurately. So some of his tests would be like tracing out the figures or outlines of objects on the TV and saying they're the same so 10 feet away you can't tell a difference by the cheap tv. Sorry to go OT I just have a problem with some of the people on here and head fi that give Amirm crap for finding actual differences and saying we can't perceive them (I'm sure he's aware of roughly where our perceptive abilities are).

What about volume matching, listening to mono recordings, and plugging headphones into two different amp/dacs at the same time (left in DAC one right in DAC two). This seems like a better test. Obviously switching sides plugged in).
My grandma tells me the same thing, watching something on a 480i tape on her 1080p Samsung and telling me its the same as the HD channel...
She watches 480i/480p SD channels and 720p channels back to back and tells me that they look the same.
After years of watching them, she has finally begun to notice the difference... Although when she comes to my house she tells me my TV is "much better" although I have a x850D Sony with HDR and a 10b IPS panel so the colors really pop vs her $450 Samsung from a couple years ago.
And likely this is what she notices.

Top Bottom