• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Mytek Brooklyn DAC

Music1969

Major Contributor
I will have to ask. I have so much to test right now that I don't want to pester my source and then not have the time to test it. :)

Hi @amirm

I'm guessing the re-test of the Mytek Brooklyn DAC (this time with distortion inducing MQA disabled in the DAC's menu settings) will likely never happen now?

The ship has sailed? :)

Brookt

I also found the Mytek to be bright, thin and a little sterile. We had been listening to a Chord Qutest for a couple hours while testing some magnepans and the Qutest was much better. More lush, warmer, didn't have the harshness, more depth. The Chord can add a slight reverb but that tiny coloration is much more pleasant than the Myteks dry, weak sound.

Can belive how expensive it is. The Cambridge CXN also sounded better.

alekc

I also found the Mytek to be bright, thin and a little sterile. We had been listening to a Chord Qutest for a couple hours while testing some magnepans and the Qutest was much better. More lush, warmer, didn't have the harshness, more depth. The Chord can add a slight reverb but that tiny coloration is much more pleasant than the Myteks dry, weak sound.

May I ask what amp have you been using with Qutest?

lucretius

Hi @amirm,

I note that this review is linked to the Brooklyn DAC+ in the Audio Electronics Review and Measurements Index. However, as far as I can tell, (1) only the Brooklyn DAC (non-plus) was tested, and (2) the DAC that was tested was tested with MQA enabled but not with MQA disabled, and (3) it is not clear if you had tested this DAC with the digital volume control versus the analog volume control.

Was the Brooklyn DAC+ (i.e. plus version) tested? If not, shouldn't the Audio Electronics Review and Measurements Index be corrected?

Thank you!

sjeesjie

Sorry to get this thread out of the swamps :)
But I wondered.. I quite like the featureset of this DAC (analogue input, DAC, headphone out). Are there any alternatives that measure better (and maybe cost less)?
I have a headphone amp and a DAC connected to my integrated and I’m thinking of a solution with less boxes…

Itisawesome

I find the sound to be thin too as a preamp to my Benchmark AHB2. Chris Jones track Roadhouses and Automobiles sounds less lively and natural sounding than my old faithful Marantz amp. I wonder if using a Ferrum Hypsos to power the Mytek will remedy the sound issues so it is more natural, live and realistic sounding of cymbals and acoustic guitar with more dynamism?

57gold

Have a Keces LPS powering my B+ for last few years to great effect. Always hesitate to give my perceptions of sonics on this forum because it engenders double blind trolls and claims that I must be delusional. But they can pound sand, the addition of the Keces hooked up with a quality Ghent DC cable resulted in increased clarity, detail and depth in bass response and imaging. Fuller overall response versus "thin" with no downside. The B+ drives a McCormack DNA-500 directly through 4 meter balanced cables to good effect.

Looks like Keces models have been updated. The Mytek guys like LPSs with 6+ amps current delivery based upon their tests. But these LPSs cost almost as much as many highly reviewed DACs. At this stage I probably try the SMSL 400EX with the dual AKM chips; looks well built with all the latest features I'd want, versus investing in an LPS, YMMV.

Top Bottom