• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

pderousse

I just discovered the Okto and found this group. I would not be so presumptuous as to tell you what you like is wrong, my way better and refer you to my lengthy audio journey as if that would proove anything. I like the sound of my rig, and like you all, it took a lot to get it there. I just wanted to see if the Okto would be compatible with my system as is, which which require a post DAC corssover. Is it possible?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just discovered the Okto and found this group. I would not be so presumptuous as to tell you what you like is wrong, my way better and refer you to my lengthy audio journey as if that would proove anything. I like the sound of my rig, and like you all, it took a lot to get it there. I just wanted to see if the Okto would be compatible with my system as is, which which require a post DAC corssover. Is it possible?

Since no one really answered your question...what you propose is possible as the Okto does have channel routing capability so you could route input ch 1 to output ch 1-4 and input ch 2 to output ch 5-8. Although I am not aware of any analog crossovers that have the same number of inputs as outputs.

However if you are set on using an analog crossover why get an 8 channel DAC? Seems unnecessary as you could get a 2 ch DAC and feed that in to a crossover. Not to mention that every analog crossover measured on ASR is about an order of magnitude worse than the Okto in terms of noise / distortion performance, maybe there are exceptions to this but I would want confirmation before I stuck one on the end of a very high performance DAC like the Okto.

I know you don't want to hear it but doing DSP on the front end (either with a digital input / output DSP like DDRC-88D and the Okto in Pure AES mode or with software DSP and the Okto in Pure USB or USB / AES mode) eliminates all the unnecessary conversions and ensures that you retain the stellar low noise / distortion performance of the Okto.

Michael

pderousse

Thanks Mike, that was clear. There is virtually no application description on the Okto website, so now I know what I'm in for if I go down that path: Seems I must buy two boxes. The page you referred me to might have sounded interesting to a younger me. I don't care to tinker any longer with a computer, the updates, old software, the potential for ground loops, the endless tweaking, noisy PS, resets, etc. - Its an appliance intended for a different purpose, in my oppinion. And if I were to purchase a front end DSP box, I would much prefer to pay for something that is purpose built, and not by that company you alluded to. Its too bad there is nothing Okto also makes that does DSP, but then it is all moot, it seems, because everything Okto is currently back ordered.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Sometimes I think it can be helpful to apply room correction, equalization and crossover duties post DAC. This is essentially what is done in the case of powered speakers with built-in DSP, such as JBL 7xx series, or Genelec, or Neumann. Yes, you can feed a digital signal directly into such a speaker, and thereby avoid a step of reconverting the signal to digital, processing, then converting back to analogue, but that sometimes has its drawbacks.
Say you want to stream Qobuz using the Windows app, and use JRiver for room correction, equalization and crossover, then send the processed signal from JRiver over USB to a DAC. You may find it difficult to rid your system of annoying dropouts and stuttering streaming from the Qobuz app to JRiver, whereas if you stream directly from the Qobuz app to USB DAC, you may find the experience better.
If you want to direct a digital signal directly into a powered speaker, you may have to convert to AES first, which not everybody wants to fuss with, as the required gear is less common, and less familiar to some. Then, you can’t play your DSD surround files directly. You’ll have to convert to PCM first, if the powered speaker isn’t capable of decoding the DSD stream. Switching between files of different sample rates may produce pops and clicks, some rather loud, some quite loud.
If you’ve a mind to add a reel-to-reel tape deck, turntable, cassette player, etc. to the mix, you’re out of luck, unless you convert to digital, but then you’ve added the analogue>ADC>processor>DAC back into the soup.
Avoiding unnecessary conversions is a good thing, but between potentially disparate sources from different eras, and the vagaries of digital rights management, it might actually be more straightforward to do the processing post DAC, and starting with an ADC.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Okto DAC+CamillaDSP is literally what you are asking for.
No interruptions or possible ground loops, modern, easy to install software and way more functional and precise than any analog crossover.
Yes, it's a two box solution but a raspberry pi isn't really that large. For someone who uses something as complicated as a 4 way stereo system this shouldn't be difficult to setup

pderousse

Like I said one box is unavailable now and the other is not appropiate for my system (hard as that may be to believe), so... Glad you like your Rpi and the software works well in your system.

D

Deleted member 4708

The Okto DAC+CamillaDSP is literally what you are asking for.
No interruptions or possible ground loops, modern, easy to install software and way more functional and precise than any analog crossover.
Yes, it's a two box solution but a raspberry pi isn't really that large. For someone who uses something as complicated as a 4 way stereo system this shouldn't be difficult to setup
Initially 1 box solution was very appealing to me. I started with the crap that is minDSP SHD. At this point I have a Mac mini M1 + Motu 8A which is soon to be replaced by the Okto DAC 8 PRO.
However, there is no substitute for a keyboard and Mac/PC interface when it comes to HTPC or streaming music.
I can watch movies on Prime on this Mac min and use the speakers for sound, etc. With a Mac/PC/Pi the sky is the limit.
Dirac runs on the Mac mini and uses less than 3% of 1 low power core - impressively efficient.
Cannot wait for the Okto DAC8 to arrive.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could switch out your existing miniDSP box for their 4x10 unit. This would allow digital input as well as analog and XLR output to the Okto but limits you to IIR filters and all processing is done in 24/96. Still 2 boxes but a nifty Okto front end with proper remote and volume display.

I used to use a 4x10 but went with computer processing and the Okto, much more flexible for my use.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
You're fine. But you're correct, that is my statement and not the question I asked. thanks

I have used deqx, najda, minidsp, and now use roon pc into okto8. For multichannel systems they will all do the job and I think its been demnstrated there is little downside to d-a-d-a. I now use audiolense to generate convolution filters for each channel, have used acurate in the past. Each evolution in hardware/software gets simpler and offers more features/functions for those inclined. Sound quality also improves.

@mdsimon2 is very knowledgable and helpful to many of us on this forum.

@pderousse By the tone of your posts I can understand why deqx and Michael dont wont to deal with you. Good luck with your search.

pderousse

Sometimes I think it can be helpful to apply room correction, equalization and crossover duties post DAC. This is essentially what is done in the case of powered speakers with built-in DSP, such as JBL 7xx series, or Genelec, or Neumann. Yes, you can feed a digital signal directly into such a speaker, and thereby avoid a step of reconverting the signal to digital, processing, then converting back to analogue, but that sometimes has its drawbacks.
Say you want to stream Qobuz using the Windows app, and use JRiver for room correction, equalization and crossover, then send the processed signal from JRiver over USB to a DAC. You may find it difficult to rid your system of annoying dropouts and stuttering streaming from the Qobuz app to JRiver, whereas if you stream directly from the Qobuz app to USB DAC, you may find the experience better.
If you want to direct a digital signal directly into a powered speaker, you may have to convert to AES first, which not everybody wants to fuss with, as the required gear is less common, and less familiar to some. Then, you can’t play your DSD surround files directly. You’ll have to convert to PCM first, if the powered speaker isn’t capable of decoding the DSD stream. Switching between files of different sample rates may produce pops and clicks, some rather loud, some quite loud.
If you’ve a mind to add a reel-to-reel tape deck, turntable, cassette player, etc. to the mix, you’re out of luck, unless you convert to digital, but then you’ve added the analogue>ADC>processor>DAC back into the soup.
Avoiding unnecessary conversions is a good thing, but between potentially disparate sources from different eras, and the vagaries of digital rights management, it might actually be more straightforward to do the processing post DAC, and starting with an ADC.
Indeed, the turntable complicates things for me.

Last edited:

pderousse

I have used deqx, najda, minidsp, and now use roon pc into okto8. For multichannel systems they will all do the job and I think its been demnstrated there is little downside to d-a-d-a. I now use audiolense to generate convolution filters for each channel, have used acurate in the past. Each evolution in hardware/software gets simpler and offers more features/functions for those inclined. Sound quality also improves.

@mdsimon2 is very knowledgable and helpful to many of us on this forum.

@pderousse By the tone of your posts I can understand why deqx and Michael dont wont to deal with you. Good luck with your

pderousse

Ok, glad that works for you. I thanked Mike, as you read above. The rest is provocative.

Raneman

I am glad someone brought up a noise issue recently. My enjoyment of music played through Okto DAC8 pro (FW 1.42 from factory) is rather limited by transient, nearly predictable noise that I cannot get rid of. Please let me know if the following issues resembles something that someone else has experienced, or better yet, solved:

I play mostly multichannel hi-res FLAC and DSD files (as DOP64) on a Mac Mini running JRiver 29, connected to Okto DAC via pure USB connection. With multichannel DSD files (stored as .iso SACD rips), I am bitstreaming as DOP64, which is the only DSD format that seems possible to use with Mac OS and this DAC. When playing the first DSD track after turning the system on, usually within the first minute of playback, but not right at the beginning, I get a horrible “white” (or pink?) noise over the music that lasts for a few seconds and then fades away. Then the DSD album would play without issues for the remainder of the listening session. Next day, with the different SACD-sourced DSD album, the problem recurs. I do not use a room-correction software while I am trying to solve the noise issue, though in the future I would like to go back to using Dirac Live.

I am grateful for any validating observations and any potential solutions, whether some critical settings in Jriver or the Okto DAC Pro itself. BTW, if the DSD files are converted into hi-res FLAC in Jriver itself before playback, I do not believe the noise occurs.
I have this exact problem. 1.42 FW, Mac Mini, and (for now) Audirvana. Had any luck figuring this out? I just sent another email...my last one went unanswered.

Raneman

I have this exact problem. 1.42 FW, Mac Mini, and (for now) Audirvana. Had any luck figuring this out? I just sent another email...my last one went unanswered.
Okay...after some extensive farting around I think I may have stumbled across something that eliminates the static crash...so far. I swapped over to Jriver, and in the Playback Options menu, selecting "Load full file (not decoded) into memory" seems to do the trick. Other than separate weird display hiccups with Jriver on the Mac, so far so good.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 2.34.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 2.34.47 PM.png
    418.3 KB · Views: 53
D

Deleted member 4708

Allegedly my DAC8 PRO will ship next week. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4708

The DAC8 is stuck at the customs for 5 days now. Okto did not fill the proper paperwork... What was supposed to be a 1-2 weeks order is now more than 1 month. Not a confidence inspiring company.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Every time I order rather expensive ($1K+) audio gear from Europe there is always some sort of customs delay. Happened with Okto and several times with Audiophonics. Never end up paying anything extra but it is not the smoothest process.

That being said you seem to have high expectations around customer support that Okto is not going to meet.

Michael

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Every time I order rather expensive ($1K+) audio gear from Europe there is always some sort of customs delay. Happened with Okto and several times with Audiophonics. Never end up paying anything extra but it is not the smoothest process.

That being said you seem to have high expectations around customer support that Okto is not going to meet.

Michael
I had to return my Smyth A16 Realiser for service in 2021. Smyth sent it back from Bangor, Northern Ireland via DHL who texted me they required they be given my power of attorney to get the thing through customs. They didn;t give me a follow up Email address, so it languished in the Customs House in NJ for a week over the Labor Day weekend and would up being shipped back to Bangor. Would up being delayed almost a month on its return because of poor communication from the sender and the carrier. International shipping is just a complete mess. Also had incidents with shipments from Schenzen, PRC where the shipment waited over a couple of months to make it onto the plane. Don't expect the situation with China based shipments will improve anytime soon given their current Covid crisis.

goryu

Okay...after some extensive farting around I think I may have stumbled across something that eliminates the static crash...so far. I swapped over to Jriver, and in the Playback Options menu, selecting "Load full file (not decoded) into memory" seems to do the trick. Other than separate weird display hiccups with Jriver on the Mac, so far so good.

It goes both ways- I bought something on Ebay from a seller in the UK. In transit to me, circumstances changed and I asked ebay if I could return it for a refund- they said sure, just refuse delivery and have it sent back. I did such. After tracking it for a week, the tracking info back to the UK stopped being updated. About 15 phone calls, 20 hours of dicking around with the USPS, Ebay, etc., and over 2 months since it was sent back, I finally got a refund after several attempts with ebay who gave me a different story every time I called. Filed a trace request with the USPS and a missing mail claim as well. They spend a week and then wrote to me to tell me that due to the time that had gone by, they were declaring it permanently lost or destroyed. More likely stolen based on recent experiences of many friends. Ugh.

D

Deleted member 4708

Hallelujah!!! The DAC8 pro has arrived.
Few random things:
  1. the package has no cables. None. All you get is the DAC8 pro (manual page 6)
  2. fit and finish is super
  3. screen looks super, super nice
  4. great knob feeling.
It does scream quality. Okto is a looker. The feel of the Okto knob is silky smooth. Too bad I am lazy and I use a Logitech remote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom