• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Soekris dac1421 Multibit DAC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Subtract the two and then listen to the difference. Or analyze the difference with FFT and other tools to see what's in it.
The problem with listening to the difference is that you have removed the music that would normally mask these distortions. To that end, I think multibit DACs would do worse in such testing, not better. Those issues would also clearly show up in that FFT just as well as they do with our test tones.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, and what kind of conclusions can one draw from listening to or looking at the FFT of the difference? I don't think anyone expects the difference to be 0, which would be the only meaningful outcome.

Many outcomes are possible. A difference of 0 is not possible between two analog captures. Having analyzed many captures like this, it's pretty easy to tell if there is no audible difference, or if the difference is out of audible range, or if there's something in mid-range or higher frequencies. Many distortions can be seen pretty easily if you subtract two simple sine waves.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with listening to the difference is that you have removed the music that would normally mask these distortions. To that end, I think multibit DACs would do worse in such testing, not better. Those issues would also clearly show up in that FFT just as well as they do with our test tones.

I'm not sure that this is a problem -- that's what makes this test more sensitive than standard listening tests. Multibit DACs don't perform on the same level as better DS ones, so the delta test will reveal that pretty easily. Since multibit also don't measure as well, this is the result one would expect.

gvl

Major Contributor
Many outcomes are possible. A difference of 0 is not possible between two analog captures. Having analyzed many captures like this, it's pretty easy to tell if there is no audible difference, or if the difference is out of audible range, or if there's something in mid-range or higher frequencies. Many distortions can be seen pretty easily if you subtract two simple sine waves.

I suspect that these results will not tell much more on top of what we can already see using the standard tests. Most importantly they will not say why many prefer the sound from multibit devices than delta-sigma. I mean, the differences are there as we can clearly see from Amir's tests. Perhaps no matter how small they are they play role in our perception of the sound?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect that these results will not tell much more on top of what we can already see using the standard tests. Most importantly they will not say why many prefer the sound from multibit devices than delta-sigma. I mean, the differences are there as we can clearly see from Amir's tests. Perhaps no matter how small they are they play role in our perception of the sound?

Sure. Null test is not meant to be a preference test. Like other measurements, it's meant to reveal differences. Whether someone likes these differences or not is not a question this test attempts to answer.

miero

The current measurements are not able to show the shortcomings of a modern DS DAC as measurements are done using simple steady signals, typically one or two sinus tones, while music is much more complex and dynamic, and it is with complex signal that DS DACs fails as a high order DS modulator is basically unstable, imagine the digital tricks you need to do to get music out of a 1-5 bit DAC.... The first DS DACs was really crappy, some even had low level spurious tones, although they have come a long way since.
Isn't a problem of typical measurement signals that only a small number of different volume levels are used in them?

I tried to generate various 16bit dithered signals and counted used volume levels in them using a custom tool:

Square 1kHz - 36 levels
Sine 1kHz (48000fs) - 75 levels
Two sine 19k+20kHz (48000fs) - 94 level
Sine 1 kHz (44100fs) - 1340 levels

Two sine 19k+20kHz (44100fs) - 6303 levels + histogram
sin-19k-20k-@44k1.png

That is not much considering that a music encoded at 16 bit uses 65536 level, but a typical DAC does oversampling and filtering, so there will be much more used levels for generating the output signals.

Multi-tone signals uses much more levels, but their histogram shows that mostly low-level values are being used.:
multitone.png

I tried to find a better two sine signal with a more balanced histogram using frequencies based on prime numbers...

Two sine 18959+19963Hz (44100fs) - 31801 levels:
sin-18959-19963@44k1.png

Two sine 18959+19963Hz (48000fs) - 33547 levels:
sin-18959-19963@48k.png

Maybe such signals could be a better benchmark for comparing DACs, what do you think?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
it's a subject with many opinions....

, and it is with complex signal that DS DACs fails as a high order DS modulator is basically unstable, imagine the digital tricks you need to do to get music out of a 1-5 bit DAC.....

Indeed it is......

Tricks?

I think you are going to have to expand on this, what issues you see with the technique and how they manifest in the output signal.

@DonH56, do you have any views on this?

FwIW my subjective view on your dac (blind tested) was that it sounded fine, but was not significantly different or better than other DS dacs. No "multibit magic".

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Isn't a problem of typical measurement signals that only a small number of different volume levels are used in them?

I tried to generate various 16bit dithered signals and counted used volume levels in them using a custom tool:

Square 1kHz - 36 levels

View attachment 14704

That is not much considering that a music encoded at 16 bit uses 65536 level, but a typical DAC does oversampling and filtering, so there will be much more used levels for generating the output signals.

Multi-tone signals uses much more levels, but their histogram shows that mostly low-level values are being used.:
View attachment 14701

I tried to find a better two sine signal with a more balanced histogram using frequencies based on prime numbers...

View attachment 14702

View attachment 14703

Maybe such signals could be a better benchmark for comparing DACs, what do you think?

Could you explain why you see this as an issue?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
it's a subject with many opinions....

, and it is with complex signal that DS DACs fails as a high order DS modulator is basically unstable, imagine the digital tricks you need to do to get music out of a 1-5 bit DAC.....

Indeed it is......

Tricks?

I think you are going to have to expand on this, what issues you see with the technique and how they manifest in the output signal.

@DonH56, do you have any views on this?

FwIW my subjective view on your dac (blind tested) was that it sounded fine, but was not significantly different or better than other DS dacs. No "multibit magic".

Sorry, not quite sure the question... Stability of high-order DS modulators has been the topic of much research and they are as stable as anything else when properly designed. A big catch, at least last time I designed one (years ago, and for RF, not audio), is that there were no closed-form solutions of an analog loop I was designing and I had to rely on simulations and building in the "hooks" to ensure stability when we tested it. Even for digital (or sampled-analog) the math is challenging if even practical for high-order multi-bit loops. Some architectures are fairly straight-forward to analyze; others, meh.

I am a big proponent of multitone testing as many know. Early DS designs would generate tones with DC inputs; dither was one of the things that solved that issue (it was nasty). Hand-wavingly, tones were caused because, with finite filter length, a DC input at the right level would just rotate through the same filter taps and cause spurs in the output. I had a nice presentation I gave to a grad class at the local college, but when I pulled it up, I discovered it was from AmiPro (old word processor I used at the time) and apparently MS Word will no longer import AmiPro files (I swear it used to!) For any design, impulse functions and wideband signals are better at showing weaknesses in stability, and IME DS designs can generate some strange outputs when presented with say white or Gaussian noise (or pink, since we are talking audio).

But, gradients in resistor values, thermal gradients, gradients due to voltage interacting with the output impedance of the switches or input of the output buffer, etc. can also cause strange spurs in conventional data converters. After a few decades designing them and dealing with all their quirks, using most any architecture you can think of (flash, folded-flash, slope, dual-slope, delta-sigma, SAR, etc.), I've decided to take up woodworking again. :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Square 1kHz - 36 levels

View attachment 14704

View attachment 14701

View attachment 14702

View attachment 14703

The IEEE Standard I noted earlier (1241 for ADCs, not sure the DAC one, but the ADC version has a good description) provides guidelines for generating test tones that exercise all codes in a given record length and without spectral leakage so you do not have to window the FFT. Those are the test signals I would suggest, but I am biased (my boss was on the committee that wrote it, so I spent a lot of time reviewing and tweaking the text).

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks Don,

Well it was to get your reaction to Seokris comment;

"imagine the digital tricks you need to do to get music out of a 1-5 bit DAC"

Well yes I can imagine the complexities and understand them to a limited level, but I'm not a DAC designer. His implication is that the DS technique leads to unsurmountable problems that make all DS designs significantly flawed for audio. Do you feel this is the case?

Oh BTW there appear to be amipro converters, found this in a quick search

http://file-convert.com/a_ami.htm

derp1n

I find it odd that all of the multibit DAC purveyors use similar arguments to attack DS DACs, and when asked for actual evidence of the superiority of multibit and/or the flaws of DS, fall back on subjective impressions and emotional arguments.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Indeed, my perception too.

Well luckily we do have an expert on board that designs the things, so we can get some reliable technical information on the subject. Let's hear the arguments :)

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
I don't think too many claim that multi-bit DACs are superior, well, except maybe the folks that stuff military-grade DAC chips in their designs.., but many prefer how they sound, so it is a purely subjective issue at its core, same as with tube vs. solid state.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks Don,

Well it was to get your reaction to Seokris comment;

"imagine the digital tricks you need to do to get music out of a 1-5 bit DAC"

Well yes I can imagine the complexities and understand them to a limited level, but I'm not a DAC designer. His implication is that the DS technique leads to unsurmountable problems that make all DS designs significantly flawed for audio. Do you feel this is the case?

Oh BTW there appear to be amipro converters, found this in a quick search

http://file-convert.com/a_ami.htm

This will be hand-waving and bear in mind I am not a "real" delta-sigma expert. I have designed a few, and been taught by a few experts (including Dr. Gabor Temes at UCLA, great guy, nice and brilliant), but most of my designs were more conventional designs. My career was mostly high-speed and oversampling was difficult when you were already pushing the process technology limits. Except for "fun" I have not designed an audio DS data converter.

Noise modulation, essentially varying the noise floor with the signal, is an oft-cited concern with DS designs. However, a small amount of dither usually solves that issue, especially for high-order and multibit loops, since they are easier to to decorrelate. Limit cycles happen when essentially the same samples pass through the filter and so spurs "bunch up" at discrete frequencies (tones). Idle tones are discrete signals that stick out well above the noise floor when the input is essentially static (DC, mentioned in my previous post). Harmonic distortion can get tricky; the loop and filters have been shown to introduce harmonic distortion that is not what I would call "classical" nonlinearities, and I do not claim to fully understand it. It's been a while. Low-order, single-bit DS circuits are more susceptible to these errors than higher-order designs that tend to "randomize" the errors more. IMO this is due to both the greater complexity (more things going on means less chance any one thing is going to "add up") and the fact that with more circuits are more noise sources to randomize (decorrelate) spurs.

One thing that sometimes gets overlooked is that even a 1-bit delta-sigma requires full precision at some point in the circuit. For an ADC, that is the difference (delta) circuit at the input; errors there will not be compensated through the rest of the loop. If you want a 16-bit answer, you must accurately difference the feedback to 16 bits. For multibit designs, the first (at least) feedback DAC must be accurate to the full number of bits. That is, if you have a DS ADC with a 5-bit DAC in the feedback loop, those 32 steps must be accurate on 16-bit boundaries (one part in 65,536) to achieve 16-bit precision at the output. Most often there is a large digital engine that calibrates and compensates the loop components to achieve high precision, either by directly modifying the individual transfer functions, or by essentially post-processing (on the fly) the output and adjusting the samples based upon a calibration routine. That is mostly outside my scope; I had help with the digital engine afterwards, and simply used Matlab to create the compensatory weighting when I tested my modulators (the compensating engine was a DSP, FPGA, or custom high-speed logic at various times and for various applications).

I do not claim to have golden ears, more like ears of clay, so hesitate to say delta-sigma designs are fundamentally flawed for audio. The sheer number of them in use, the huge number of papers published showing their performance under all sorts of conditions, and the continuing advances in their architecture and design makes me think not. I have much less experience with delta-sigma DACs, however, and do not claim to be any sort of expert in their design. I am well aware of the drawbacks of conventional converters and delineated some of them earlier. Their issues are by and large understood and more straight-forward (I would not say "easier") to analyze though compensation can still be tricky. When you are looking >100 dB below full-scale everything matters and it is easy to let some little thing slip through.

For example, resistor and/or transistor self-heating is a big issue at high resolution. Think of a ladder DAC, R-2R or unary, and how the signal interacts along the ladder. At the top and bottom, the switches rarely change state since those codes are exercised infrequently, so the resistors and switching transistors tend to be in one position always. Since current flows (however small) mainly through one side, it runs hotter than the other side. Now, even if the switch and resistors were perfectly matched (or more likely trimmed) to begin with, this means they will have slightly different gain and offset when they switch to the other state (every now and then). In the center of the ladder, around the zero-crossing of the signal, both sides are used all the time so both sides of the switch and resistors stay essentially the same temperature. In the end you have a thermal bow related to the signal -- a square wave will distort differently than a sine wave. Ain't that nice.

Anyway, chances are I've lost most of the audience here already, so I'll quit here. I do not necessarily disagree with @soekris, but conventional converters have their quirks as well (even sign-magnitude, which does have some nice features to get around some of the issues).

This old AES paper is online and worth a look for those interested in a deeper, though still fairly high-level, look at delta-sigma designs: http://www.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/~josh/do...maDeltaModulation-SolvedandUnsolvedIssues.pdf

HTH - Don

p.s. I suspect part of the reason some prefer conventional DACs is because they typically have low-order distortion characteristics, and without noise shaping have a flatter noise floor, sort of like tube circuits that have measurably higher distortion but often sound better to audiophiles.

Last edited:

soekris

DonH56 explain it better than I could.... I also believe that simpler designs wins, and a R-2R DAC is simple, parallel bits in, audio out, no processing, that's it. While a DS DAC have a lot of processing to get something usefull out of those 1-5 bits.... Of course a great DS design can beat a crappy R-2R design, but a great R-2R DAC will beat a great DS DAC in sound quality, and my customers feedback confirm that.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think too many claim that multi-bit DACs are superior, well, except maybe the folks that stuff military-grade DAC chips in their designs.., but many prefer how they sound, so it is a purely subjective issue at its core, same as with tube vs. solid state.
It's a subjective issue when someone can demonstrate, with an ABX DBT, that they sound different. Right now it's a non-issue.

Wombat

Master Contributor
DonH56 explain it better than I could.... I also believe that simpler designs wins, and a R-2R DAC is simple, parallel bits in, audio out, no processing, that's it. While a DS DAC have a lot of processing to get something usefull out of those 1-5 bits.... Of course a great DS design can beat a crappy R-2R design, but a great R-2R DAC will beat a great DS DAC in sound quality, and my customers feedback confirm that.

Feedback - subjective opinions? Do you get any feedback from those who decided against your product? How do you evaluate opinions? Do you engage in a practical methodical way or are you happy to take views on face value?

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
p.s. I suspect part of the reason some prefer conventional DACs is because they typically have low-order distortion characteristics, and without noise shaping have a flatter noise floor, sort of like tube circuits that have measurably higher distortion but often sound better to audiophiles.

Your contributions are always hugely informative @DonH56, thanks.

This last point of yours surprises me a bit though. The better-measuring R2R DACs like @soekris' seem to have distortion in the order of 0.005%, which is very unlikely to be audible.

The cheaper/worse R2R DACs (e.g. Schiit's cheaper models) have much higher (probably audible) distortion, but it doesn't seem to be lower order particularly.

And then the better DS DACs these days have distortion levels well below 0.001%, often more like 0.0001%.

Finally, for all good DACs, we seem to have noise levels well below -100dB.

Is there really any possibility that, when looking at decent-measuring DACs, distortion and noise could be the source of audible differences?

Knowing what we know about thresholds of audibility, it seems extremely unlikely to me.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Your contributions are always hugely informative @DonH56, thanks.

This last point of yours surprises me a bit though. The better-measuring R2R DACs like @soekris' seem to have distortion in the order of 0.005%, which is very unlikely to be audible.

The cheaper/worse R2R DACs (e.g. Schiit's cheaper models) have much higher (probably audible) distortion, but it doesn't seem to be lower order particularly.

And then the better DS DACs these days have distortion levels well below 0.001%, often more like 0.0001%.

Finally, for all good DACs, we seem to have noise levels well below -100dB.

Is there really any possibility that, when looking at decent-measuring DACs, distortion and noise could be the source of audible differences?

Knowing what we know about thresholds of audibility, it seems extremely unlikely to me.

I think on this forum we have come to the realisation that any differences in DAC performance are minimal unless poor design/implementation or tailoring is apparent.

It is sad that individuals get so hung-up on this essentially high performance gear over more flawed items in the reproducing chain.

I wish we could move on from these discussions of trivialities. :oops:

Last edited:
Top Bottom