• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
What does the other end of the RCA cable plug in to? That may be the loop... You can buy RCA ground isolators, or try a Hum-X or other power line isolator.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What does the other end of the RCA cable plug in to? That may be the loop... You can buy RCA ground isolators, or try a Hum-X or other power line isolator.
RCA plug's are dac's out amp in using quality shielded cable. Because i don't use both dac's simultaneously i take the USB out of one of them with the RCA still in the amp for now that solves my problem.
The Xone 4D is for mixing and re-mixing using Traktor and/or Ableton. Topping D10 for clean 1 on 1 output (so no downsampeling etc) when i listning to high quality files like DSD, FLAC, WAV with their original output signature.
However would be interesting if i did something wrong that could be fixed easily. I will look at your suggestions. I also look at a stabel standalone (Android P, Linux) media player combine with a big HDD that can use for instance Foobar2000 in combination with MonkeyMot. So i probably also avoid the laptop loop.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
You can try adding a USB isolator before one of the devices. This is a downside of inexpensive DACs that don't have galvanic isolation built in, you always have a risk of ground loop kind of issues.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can try adding a USB isolator before one of the devices. This is a downside of inexpensive DACs that don't have galvanic isolation built in, you always have a risk of ground loop kind of issues.

You probably are right wil have a look at a USB isolator. But it does not make sence to activate 2 DAC's at the same time so for now the USB from 1 is disconnected. Did try to put a ferrit core on both USB cables did not changed anything. Anyway i'm looking for a standalone Mediaplayer that i can remotely control with my mobile android phone using for instance MonkeyMote.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So basicly if one of the DAC's is ONLY connected by USB their is nog ground loop if both are connected we have a problem.
I run into this all the time with testing two USB devices to perform AB tests on their outputs. This happens with all the products I have tested to varying degree.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I run into this all the time with testing two USB devices to perform AB tests on their outputs. This happens with all the products I have tested to varying degree.
Big relief so one of the usb's out problem solves for now.

uscmatt99

I’ve had my D10 hooked up for the last week and loving it. Works right out of the box, no hiccups the entire time. I have it matched up with the JDS Objective2 and Subjective3. Source is a MBP hooked up through a Thunderbolt dock, USB out to the D10. My headphones are a set of Hifiman HE-400i. Really liking the Subjective3 to tweak depending on what I’m listening to, and the O2 has plenty of juice without employing the 3x gain. Best thing about the D10 is that it gets out of the way....

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve had my D10 hooked up for the last week and loving it. Works right out of the box, no hiccups the entire time. I have it matched up with the JDS Objective2 and Subjective3. Source is a MBP hooked up through a Thunderbolt dock, USB out to the D10. My headphones are a set of Hifiman HE-400i. Really liking the Subjective3 to tweak depending on what I’m listening to, and the O2 has plenty of juice without employing the 3x gain. Best thing about the D10 is that it gets out of the way....

Did you hear/notice any difference after this week.

uscmatt99

Did you hear/notice any difference after this week.
No, it sounds the same as when I first plugged it in. It actually doesn’t sound any different than my old Fiio at normal volumes. I think the whole combo does better at higher volumes, but attribute that to the pre-amp and amp.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it sounds the same as when I first plugged it in. It actually doesn’t sound any different than my old Fiio at normal volumes. I think the whole combo does better at higher volumes, but attribute that to the pre-amp and amp.
Bit the same experience. Only my xone 4d dac is for sure sharper at the higher frequencies like high hats pitch voices. The D10 more controlled at those frequensies. So more easy to listen too. But do me an blind test for things like imaging etc i will fail misserbly i guess.

Last edited:

Nesty

Just a thought, anybody compared D10 vs Burson Play, I think both uses the same dac...minus headphone amp for D10 though.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hm if i play a cd from the laptop and i use the WASAPI output the D10 says 44.1 khz however if i play it from Standard driver D10 says 96,1 khz.
So why does the standard driver have twice the amount of khz.? When using the standard driver it must be that windows does decides which khz is used. When switching between them can't hear any difference.

Timbo2

Hm if i play a cd from the laptop and i use the WASAPI output the D10 says 44.1 khz however if i play it from Standard driver D10 says 96,1 khz.
So why does the standard driver have twice the amount of khz.? When using the standard driver it must be that windows does decides which khz is used. When switching between them can't hear any difference.

Windows is changing the sample rate. I’m assuming you mean DirectSound versus WASAPI. Most people here prefer to play things in the sample rate they were recorded. WASAPI is playing it as it is encoded. You should be able to go into the control panel and change the default windows sample rate.

I’ll leave it to others here to discuss the pros and cons of up sampling.:p

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Windows is changing the sample rate. I’m assuming you mean DirectSound versus WASAPI. Most people here prefer to play things in the sample rate they were recorded. WASAPI is playing it as it is encoded. You should be able to go into the control panel and change the default windows sample rate.

I’ll leave it to others here to discuss the pros and cons of up sampling.:p
Ah ok for me it is not a big issiue found it a bit strange. I was able in setup under sound device to change bit an sample rate. The D10 changed accordingly.

Last edited:

dsivier

if can help, i got D10 yesterday via Aliexpress at around 70 Euro after 30 days.
the Topping D10 is connected to a Mac Pro 5.1 (Xeon) running Jriver MC24.
Krell A300i driving two Maggies 1.6Q
Alternative was Teac 501 since a lot
first impression was not bad!
second, after some time with Kiri Te Kenawa was reconnect the Teac
and now .......Teac is for sale !
no instruments ..just well know music.

good DAC at cheap price!!!! with no music 100% silent ! let me find a beer now ! i will spend some time

:)

nearfielder

Hey gang, I ordered this DAC based on this review and thread and have a question specifically for Mac users. This is replacing (or currently challenging to unseat?) one of the very budget HiFiMe Sabre DACs. The HiFiMe DAC was like $29 when I ordered it a few years ago. It may be the $42 model now. Not sure.

Anyway, my question for Mac users: The output level of the D10 on my Mac is dramatically lower than the HiFime DAC. Like I don't get ANY sound at all until I'm about 40% on the Mac volume level. Sometimes I'm at like 75-90% to get decent output levels from quieter recordings. By comparison, the HiFiMe DAC is typically ear splitting at about 50% volume on my Mac, all other things being equal.

Is this just normal for this DAC on a Mac? I don't want to comment on sound comparisons until I know if that's normal or whether there's something odd going on with my setup. I almost thought it wasn't working until I really cranked it up. Is it just me? I'm running a slightly older version of MacOS with El Capitan, so not sure if that could be part of it. I'm going directly from the DAC to a pair of Airmotiv 4s powered monitors in both cases.

Any thoughts/help appreciated/

Last edited:

Timbo2

Hey gang, I ordered this DAC based on this review and thread and have a question specifically for Mac users. This is replacing (or currently challenging to unseat?) one of the very budget HiFiMe Sabre DACs. The HiFiMe DAC was like $29 when I ordered it a few years ago. It may be the $42 model now. Not sure.

Anyway, my question for Mac users: The output level of the D10 on my Mac is dramatically lower than the HiFime DAC. Like I don't get ANY sound at all until I'm about 40% on the Mac volume level. Sometimes I'm at like 75-90% to get decent output levels from quieter recordings. By comparison, the HiFiMe DAC is typically ear splitting at about 50% volume on my Mac, all other things being equal.

Is this just normal for this DAC on a Mac? I don't want to comment on sound comparisons until I know if that's normal or whether there's something odd going on with my setup. I almost thought it wasn't working until I really cranked it up. Is it just me? I'm running a slightly older version of MacOS with El Capitan, so not sure if that could be part of it. I'm going directly from the DAC to a pair of Airmotiv 4s powered monitors in both cases.

Basic question. You are using an amp, right? It outputs line level at 100% on Windows.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As Timbo2 implies, this is a DAC only. You still need an amplifier to drive a headphone or speakers. Was your hifime DAC+headphone amp?

Top Bottom