• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ground loop with the phone charger is unlikely to impossible as the charger isn't grounded (no ground pin).
Good point. But even being on a power strip with other switching power supplies can introduce a lot of other noise. Fortunately, not as much as the iMac.

I can't see the cable so good ol' electrical tape and shrink tube just fine. :p

Krunok

Major Contributor

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

quangvu3r

Hi all,

I've purchased a Topping D10. I set it up with foobar2000 and Windows 10 Home 64bit as the manual shows. At first everything is OK, I can play flac files and SACD ISOs smoothly (ASIO Native, DSD...).

But the problem is after I turn off my computer for some hours. When I turn on my computer back and play foobar2000, no sound on my speakers. After trying unplug/replug USB cable, restart my computer..., I can play flac files again. But I can't play SACD ISO in DSD mode any more. It display "DSD" but I can only hear very loud noise on speakers. I've checked all but found nothing unusual.

Please help me to solve this.

Thank you!

digititus

Hi all,

I've purchased a Topping D10. I set it up with foobar2000 and Windows 10 Home 64bit as the manual shows. At first everything is OK, I can play flac files and SACD ISOs smoothly (ASIO Native, DSD...).

But the problem is after I turn off my computer for some hours. When I turn on my computer back and play foobar2000, no sound on my speakers. After trying unplug/replug USB cable, restart my computer..., I can play flac files again. But I can't play SACD ISO in DSD mode any more. It display "DSD" but I can only hear very loud noise on speakers. I've checked all but found nothing unusual.

Sounds like software configuration issue in Windows to me. I would suggest that for troubleshooting purposes, you try different software first. Once you know the DAC is performing as expected, try and look at your current software settings. As I'm not a Windows user, so sorry I can't be more specific.

quangvu3r

Sounds like software configuration issue in Windows to me. I would suggest that for troubleshooting purposes, you try different software first. Once you know the DAC is performing as expected, try and look at your current software settings. As I'm not a Windows user, so sorry I can't be more specific.
Thank you so much for quick reply!

Before I went to work, I unplug the USB cable, turned off my computer and amplifier. Now I am back home from work, turn on the amplifier first (because I already read all this thread and someone said about turnning on/off amplifier can cause D10 "crash"), plug USB cable then turn on the computer. And everything is OK again now!

Now I will pay attention to them to find if any more problem happens...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder, does the D10 have buggy behavior?

quangvu3r

/Update: I think this D10 so sensitive with electric shock/spark. While it play smoothly, I turn off my electric fan and make a little spark and it mutes immediately. I have to unplug/replug USB cable to make it sound again, but can't play SACD ISO in DSD mode, same as I said previous post.

Toku

Major Contributor
I wonder, does the D10 have buggy behavior?
I bought D10, D50 and DX 7s, but only D10 works perfectly. However, please do not use the USB cable attached to these products. Connection errors often occur.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought D10, D50 and DX 7s, but only D10 works perfectly. However, please do not use the USB cable attached to these products. Connection errors often occur.
So you are saying the USB cable in the box is bad...

Toku

Major Contributor
So you are saying the USB cable in the box is bad...
I bought D10, D50, DX7s in March. The quality of the in-box USB cable at this time was bad, and a connection error with the PC occurred several times. All three USB cables experienced the same error. After that, when purchasing and exchanging USB cables of 7 dollars and 27 dollars at Amazon.jp, no error occurred. If the current in-box USB cable is also the same product, I propose not to use it.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought D10, D50, DX7s in March. The quality of the in-box USB cable at this time was bad, and a connection error with the PC occurred several times. All three USB cables experienced the same error. After that, when purchasing and exchanging USB cables of 7 dollars and 27 dollars at Amazon.jp, no error occurred. If the current in-box USB cable is also the same product, I propose not to use it.
Cables can make a difference, but there doesn't seem to be a correlation between price and performance.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, is there any chance you can measure IMD of D10 with your new measuring device? :)
It is a trade off between remeasuring old gear versus clearing out significant backlog of new gear. If I get some time, I will do that but please don't hold me to it. :)

Krunok

Major Contributor
It is a trade off between remeasuring old gear versus clearing out significant backlog of new gear. If I get some time, I will do that but please don't hold me to it. :)

I fully understand your argument, but I'm kindly asking this only because of a "special" status D10 has, as a David fighting much more expensive Goliaths. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a few spools of those after seeing how nice they can make power cables look. :) Have yet to unpack and use them though!
https://www.techflex.com/specialty/chrome-x-tra-coverage?part=CXN0.25GL

CXN0.25GL.jpg

Try the chrome or gold. They also have a brass covering.

Or multi-color weaves.

https://www.techflex.com/general-purpose/flexo-remix?part=PTM0.50JU

Wombat

Master Contributor
Can we call them Chinese cable traps?
shrug.gif

21puH2mLxGL.jpg

Top Bottom