• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Timbo2

At the risk of putting this thread actually on topic, Topping quickly responded to my email and sent me the original firmware by email.

I can confirm that the unit can be flashed back AND it now works again with my Nividia Shield TV.

And now back to sexual shenningans...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
At the risk of putting this thread actually on topic, Topping quickly responded to my email and sent me the original firmware by email.

I can confirm that the unit can be flashed back AND it now works again with my Nividia Shield TV.

And now back to sexual shenningans...
Great news

έχω δίκιο

My Topping D10 arrived today from Amazon. As I removed it from the protective sleeve, I heard a rattling in the case. Great.... So I removed the back panel and out came a blob of hot-melt glue. It had come loose from the board where they use it to tack it to the side of the case after sliding it in.

After putting it back together, it came right up. I'm listening to Janis Joplin as I type this. I love the display. The DAC output is dead-silent between tracks. It's replacing an ODAC (first generation). Were I a subjectivist, I'd say that this sounds significantly better. But I'm not, so I won't trust a non-blind listening session with all of the expectation bias that comes from having read a thorough instrumented test. But I am very happy with it.

Timbo2

My Topping D10 arrived today from Amazon. As I removed it from the protective sleeve, I heard a rattling in the case. Great.... So I removed the back panel and out came a blob of hot-melt glue. It had come loose from the board where they use it to tack it to the side of the case after sliding it in.

After putting it back together, it came right up. I'm listening to Janis Joplin as I type this. I love the display. The DAC output is dead-silent between tracks. It's replacing an ODAC (first generation). Were I a subjectivist, I'd say that this sounds significantly better. But I'm not, so I won't trust a non-blind listening session with all of the expectation bias that comes from having read a thorough instrumented test. But I am very happy with it.

It matches well with the O2. I have my O2 velcro wire wrapped to it.
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-review-of-topping-d10.3303/#post-81153

έχω δίκιο

I have the Topping D10 feeding a Parasound Zamp v.3. That drives a pair of Pioneer SP-BS21LR speakers. The Zamp has a pass-through for the analog, and I've got that going to an old Sony SA-W101 powered subwoofer. It's a bargain system, but it sounds very good, especially with the Pioneers acting as near-field monitors.

I'm feeding my O2 from the surprisingly good analog headphone output of my iMac Pro. That lets me switch between headphones and speakers right from the on-screen menubar.

Hemicrusher

I went through a few DAC's south of $300 and this D10 blows them all out of the water for price/performance. Thinking of grabbing a second to replace my HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro.

Peekeesh

I have a d10 and was wondering if there is a big difference between that and the d50? Thinking of replacing it but not sure if its worth it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have a d10 and was wondering if there is a big difference between that and the d50? Thinking of replacing it but not sure if its worth it.
Nah. If you are happy with it, stay with it.

έχω δίκιο

There should be no audible difference. It's really a matter of capabilities:

Upper limits:
D10: PCM 32 bit/384k, DSD256
D50: PCM 32 bits/768k, DSD512

Inputs:
D10: USB 2.0
D50: USB 2.0, S/PDIF optical, S/PDIF coax

Outputs:
D10: RCA line out (L+R), S/PDIF optical, S/PDIF coax
D50: RCA line out (L+R)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also nice to not have to deal with a separate power supply with the D10.
Separate power supplies can eliminate problems with dirty USB power from some motherboards.

rayvandy

I came across this forum on google search and could not thank enough to OP and the members here. Recently I purchased Topping D10 (with volumio 2.444 running on top of RPI 3 B+) and noticed that music playback always stopped randomly when I turn off lights and D10 needs to be unplugged - plugged in, in order to get playback. Only giving another problem, whereby my harddisk will re-spin due to low power feed (I measured D10 consumes around 2 amp constantly and spikes even higher when relay clicks). So RPI will slows down as it scans the library all over again and deluge server will recheck all active torrents from beginning.

Desperate to find solution, I re-route the D10 power to external 5V adapter. I have too modified my old Harman AVR 10 receiver and install Triac BTA12 600B with MOC 3021 optocoupler, to get ON/OFF signal from receiver’s LED as power indicator. So since then, I can easily turn off and on D10 using Harman’s remote control; just for sake to reset D10.

After reading this thread about firmware release, I immediately upgraded D10’s firmware. Mine starts with 1804 sn. I can confirm the problem is now gone completely.

PS:
- Adding EMI filter at 220v mains supply does not work,
- After firmware upgrade, if there’s heavy electrical sparks nearby (by doing it purposely), the relay still clicks but no lock up. Slight buzz, thump will come into speakers,
- I can confirm too that previous D10 lock up is due to RCA output back-feeding. My case is from Harman receiver.

Setup:
- Volumio 2 v2.444 RPI 3 B+
- Topping D10 with Burson Audio V6 Vivid Dual Op-Amp
- Modified FX-Audio Tube Buffer
- Harman/Kardon AVR10 with bypassed preamp
- Bowers & Wilkins 707S2

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
After reading this thread about firmware release, I immediately upgraded D10’s firmware. Mine starts with 1804 sn. I can confirm the problem is now gone completely.
That's excellent. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words by the way. :)

έχω δίκιο

I have a 1802 serial and hadn't ran into issues with my D10 resetting or locking up for a while, but figured I would apply the firmware update anyway. I was running revision v6.F2 and it still shows the same after running the update utility and power cycling the unit. I suppose that the firmware was applied as I received a successful message from the update utility, however I can't reliably reproduce the issue so I'm unable to validate that it was indeed fixed.

Thank you for posting the above! I was going nuts seeing that the version started as v6.F2 and ended up at that, too. I unplugged and replugged. I reran the updater (didn't repeat flash). I ran their utility. Everything said v6.F2 -- except the readme file which said 18G. It was then that I searched out your post. That put my mind at ease.

derp1n

Interesting. They told me the DX7s firmware update (same USB firmware update) can't be reverted. Not very happy with their service.

Timbo2

Interesting. They told me the DX7s firmware update (same USB firmware update) can't be reverted. Not very happy with their service.
Maybe try again. I'm not sure how good their English is and perhaps you will get another person or maybe they misunderstood.

I would be polite, but use the simplest language you can.

Top Bottom