• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

MWC

I'm with Veri on this one, at the moment, but wonder why they updated the driver, & what it has supposedly fixed. The readme should have such details.

Ashley Salmond

Forum Donor
This is the review and measurements of the secretive Topping D50 DAC. Other than a small picture and mention on topping's web site, there is no other information on it. I am in fortunate situation that Topping was kind enough to send me a D50 to review and keep. It was a bonus after I asked to buy the Topping DX7s. Pricing is supposed to be $249. According to Topping, it will NOT replace the D30 which makes sense as the D30 retails for half the price.

The front panel sports one of the nicest (OLED?) small displays I have seen:

View attachment 11012

I like the confirmation of bit depth in addition to sample rate when playing content.

Note that this is a pure DAC. While it has volume control using a joystick to the right of the display, that only controls the RCA output. There is no headphone amplification feature in there.

Sadly my Topping DX7 remote did not work with it so to change the volume you have to be sitting close to the unit.

As you barely see, this DAC supports PCM sample rate up to 768 kHz and DSD up to DSD 512 so from format support point of view, it is excellent.

Connectivity is typical of smaller DACs where there is simply no room for balanced connections:

View attachment 11014

For S/PDIF use which is how I tested mine, you need to supply your own power supply which I did using my lab linear supply.

I should say that the unit despite being very small, is very hefty. It is probably the heaviest small DAC I have teste. This is nice to have as otherwise the cables drag on these units.

I am sure you all are interested in how it measures. So let's get into that. As usual, if you are not familiar with what these graphs are, refer to my tutorial on understanding audio measurements: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/understanding-audio-measurements.2351/

Once again: please note that I was given this unit for free. So read as much or as little bias as you like for this review.

Measurements
Let's start with frequency response and channel matching:
View attachment 11015

This is a highly zoomed display so that you can see small changes in response and any channel imbalance. Measured channel level imbalance was at 0.06 dB as indicated.

Next let's look at jitter and noise:

View attachment 11016

Here I am comparing it to its more expensive brothers, the Topping DX7 and DX7s. All three push my measurement gear to the limit. But perhaps the Topping D50 is a bit better in getting rid of those two spikes around 18 kHz. But really, these are as good as it gets given the instrumentations I have (and well better than your hearing!).

Let's see the favorite of everyone, linearity test:

View attachment 11017

My jaw dropped when I saw the Topping D50 measurement on the left. This is as perfect as I can measure it. At no time does the variation get to 0.1 dB which is my cut off point. Since I am measuring to -120 dB that translate to better than 20 bits of resolution (120/6 = 20). It betters the Topping DX7s which itself was superb in this regard.

The Topping D50 sets the record for how clean it is of any DAC I have tested this way!

Folks who complain about my 0.1 dB deviation being too strict, should not see why I picked that number. Using a larger value would make it harder to distinguish this superb performance from lesser DACs.

Let's look a sine wave at -90 dB which is the time domain version of this test (more or less):

View attachment 11018

Despite the tiny amplitude of this source signal, we see a very good sine wave out of Topping D50. In contrast the Topping DX7s looks a bit rougher even though by itself it is better than vast majority of DACs I have tested.

Next let's look at THD+N distortion and noise measurement:

View attachment 11019

Once again we see that the Topping D50 shows better performance especially in mid to high frequencies (in red).

Let's see how it does in intermodulation distortion using SMPTE test signals:
View attachment 11020

Ah. We see the same issue as the Topping DX7s with increased distortion from -40 to -20 level. I continue to suspect that this is due to distortion mitigation feature of this ESS DAC. Hopefully Topping gives us a way to turn that on and off so that we can see if that is the cause or not.

Finally let's look at the response when fed a 1 kHz full amplitude signal:

View attachment 11021

Here we see that the Topping D50 matches or possibly beats the Topping DX7s. Compared to the now discontinued DX7, the Topping DX7s has lower noise floor and distortions (by a bit).

EDIT: Tests performed using my new Audio Precision analyzer:
index.php

index.php

Conclusions:
Topping hints at the design criteria for the D50 as a better DAC to use with the Topping DX7s. Based on measurements I have performed, it seems to eke out a bit more fidelity, setting a new record in such measures as linearity.

If you do not need headphone functionality, and are willing to spend $249, you have my strong recommendation for Topping D50. It provides superb measured performance with great quality feel.

Now you just have to wait until Topping offers it for sale. :)

As always, questions, comments, corrections, jokes, etc. are all welcome!
----
If you like this review, please consider donating funds for these types of hardware purchase using Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).
My Topping d50 had a problem with the coaxial. The problem was that it doesn't work. Some on YouTube promoted a burn in time. Topping gave me some bullshit about downloading the drivers which had nothing to do with the coaxial. Then they said it was the cable. I tried three different cables. It was like they didn't have a clew. I have heard recently that the problem is in the chip. I would ask Smirk in future to check with the retailers of dacs to confirm their reliability before giving an over educated recommdation and just do some simple checks.

Pepper81

The question may sound strange but I’d like to understand:If I Use a Digital Transport Only(XDUOO X10 T II) and I connect D50 via coaxial or USB,How do I install drivers and update firmware?
My setup does not include the use of the computer/Notebook.
Thanks

Toku

Major Contributor
The question may sound strange but I’d like to understand:If I Use a Digital Transport Only(XDUOO X10 T II) and I connect D50 via coaxial or USB,How do I install drivers and update firmware?
My setup does not include the use of the computer/Notebook.
Thanks
A Windows10 PC is required to update the D50 firmware.
To update, you need to install the Topping driver on your PC and download the firmware update file and tools.
Before that, you need to check the current firmware of your D50, but you also have to connect the above PC with a USB cable for that work. You can't do anything without a PC.
The latest firmware of D50 is Ver1.03, but the update file for D50 has already been deleted and cannot be obtained from Topping's HP. It wasn't even on the Shenzhen Audio site anymore.
So ask someone to give you the file you downloaded and saved, or email Topping directly.

If you just connect the XDUOO X10 to the D50 via COAX and USB, you don't need a driver to install it on your PC.

Last edited:

Pepper81

What's the best connection for D50?It works better when connected to the digital source via USB or coaxial cable?
I read about problems with Spdif Input

Vosya

What's the best connection for D50?It works better when connected to the digital source via USB or coaxial cable?
In it's original idea, USB is better. But the specific implementation can be exactly the opposite. In my setup, I noticed a consistent increase in sound quality: optical - coaxial - USB. But the final choice of USB is not everywhere and not at once. Even the choice of the best USB port, driver, cable - takes a lot of time.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I read about problems with Spdif Input

There shouldn't be a sound quality difference. Some spdif receivers seem to have intermittent issues with some TV sources for example, but either it will keep and maintain a connection or it won't. Again, it won't be an issue of sound quality, but of it working properly or not.

cvt01

Hi All, can a programmable remote (like the Amazon Fire Stick's) be set up to adjust volume on this DAC? I want to use it with active speakers connected to my bedroom TV so it no input switching is required just the volume. I don't want a separate remote just to adjust volume. The fire stick's remote can adjust volume on my Yamaha Amp which is optical like this one in the other room.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi All, can a programmable remote (like the Amazon Fire Stick's) be set up to adjust volume on this DAC? I want to use it with active speakers connected to my bedroom TV so it no input switching is required just the volume. I don't want a separate remote just to adjust volume. The fire stick's remote can adjust volume on my Yamaha Amp which is optical like this one in the other room.
No. D50 doesn't have a remote control.

Donovan

I own the Anthem MRX 720 AVR and pretty satisfied with its DAC, but upgraditis once in awhile crops up. Curious if anyone has compared the Anthem DAC (it uses the AKM 32/768) to the D50, D70, or D90?

Last edited:
Hi, I dusted off my 2-3 yrs old D50 from my storage and tried to update the provided firmware 1.0.3 by Topping Service but bricked it with no usb detection after restarting with update being reported successful.

Topping service is great and had me sent it back for repair despite being out of warranty and will charge me only usd15 for return shipment.

While waiting for it to return, any recommendation from actual ownership of usb dongle dac like ibasso dc03 that can totally wipe the feet of dc03 and d50 as dac from Intel NUC into Naim Muso as PC speakers ?

Cheers.

Alou

Hi,
I Have an dc03 and use it with my mobile phone and over ear headphones ,(i dont like in ear phones), i also use it with my laptop and a pair of Beyer Dt770 80 or 30 ohms.
It preforms exceptionally well and us it to monitor professional apps ,while on the go ,like Sequoia 16 and or Adobe audition.
On the laptop or PC you can install its drivers ,which help allot as they are full asio 2 compatible and help with latency in pro apps.
Thing is that it only has one output and that for headphones.

Hi,
I Have an dc03 and use it with my mobile phone and over ear headphones ,(i dont like in ear phones), i also use it with my laptop and a pair of Beyer Dt770 80 or 30 ohms.
It preforms exceptionally well and us it to monitor professional apps ,while on the go ,like Sequoia 16 and or Adobe audition.
On the laptop or PC you can install its drivers ,which help allot as they are full asio 2 compatible and help with latency in pro apps.
Thing is that it only has one output and that for headphones.
Hi Alou,

Tks .. indeed ibasso dc03 sounds fine especially with dsd while its asio driver works intermittently with installed squeezelite-x that shows it under selection but stays stable once it is working. I just use a 3.5mm cable to connect from its 3.5mm output to 3.5mm analog input of the 1st naim muso which also cannot play hires and dsd via its digital input.

I borrow the chord mojo and despite having its 384 pcm and asio driver installed, it does not shows up in squeezelite but it did sounded better than dc03 while only playing up to 384khz under windows.

This is was the reason I pulled out no longer used D50 to try and also asking for recommendations on any other usb dac dongle that will expectedly improves sound quality compared to dc03 and perhaps nearly to reputed chord mojo.

Cheers.

PS: window audio is still via benq hd driver to my benq pd2705 display with the Intel NUC tied to its stand

Alou

Dco3 outputs analog audio and only 80mW .What you propably need is a usb dac \ audio device that will output digitally to you Naim,

You can try perhaps the D10 (balanced or unbalanced) i have both versions ,its an exceptional Dac ,i use this combinations to export audio from a laptop
to an SPL phonitor in the studio since its only analog.With the D10 you also get sdif out.
I always avoid using windows audio in most case ans always use the drivers supplied by the maker usually asio drivers.
Exceptions are when using web based streaming sites ,in that case i use the makers driver but the windows non asio driver.

I looked up the Naim Muso and it has USB input ,why dont you hook it up directly to a laptop or PC ?
Besides the specs say that digital in is only up to 96KHZ so no DSD there.

Dco3 outputs analog audio and only 80mW .What you propably need is a usb dac \ audio device that will output digitally to you Naim,

You can try perhaps the D10 (balanced or unbalanced) i have both versions ,its an exceptional Dac ,i use this combinations to export audio from a laptop
to an SPL phonitor in the studio since its only analog.With the D10 you also get sdif out.
I always avoid using windows audio in most case ans always use the drivers supplied by the maker usually asio drivers.
Exceptions are when using web based streaming sites ,in that case i use the makers driver but the windows non asio driver.

I looked up the Naim Muso and it has USB input ,why dont you hook it up directly to a laptop or PC ?
Besides the specs say that digital in is only up to 96KHZ so no DSD there.
Hi Alou,

Tks again .. was not aware that output is only 80mW but since using analog input into Naim Muso used in my bedroom's Intel NUC setup, signal is amplified and resulting sound level is fine ... volume control of Naim Muso is only at 50% to sound really loud.

USB or optical inputs into Naim Muso is not an option as its usb is only for storage device playback while both are not capable of dsd or even hires internet radio stations e.g. Qobuz etc. as you had rightfully pointed out its max of 96khz.

Will check out D10 but its is improved SQ that I hope for against current dc03 being used perfectly with its Asio driver for dsd ... dc03 is really cost effective but also quite old as the case of D50. Chord mojo while I failed dsd playback with its missing Asio driver in Squeezelite-x did sound better even with its windows 384khz driver seen in Squeezelite-x and having such improved SQ would be nice. Not sure why Squeezelite-x does not shows up chord asio driver even though seen in installed programs of windows ...

I am using Squeezelite as it also allows me seamless playback of the Intel NUC setup in my bedroom from my rather expensive Antipodes cx server with Antipodes ex player used in my main setup in the living room.

Thanks and cheers.

Jimster480

Major Contributor

rgdawsonco

Hi Alou,

Tks again .. was not aware that output is only 80mW but since using analog input into Naim Muso used in my bedroom's Intel NUC setup, signal is amplified and resulting sound level is fine ... volume control of Naim Muso is only at 50% to sound really loud.

USB or optical inputs into Naim Muso is not an option as its usb is only for storage device playback while both are not capable of dsd or even hires internet radio stations e.g. Qobuz etc. as you had rightfully pointed out its max of 96khz.

Will check out D10 but its is improved SQ that I hope for against current dc03 being used perfectly with its Asio driver for dsd ... dc03 is really cost effective but also quite old as the case of D50. Chord mojo while I failed dsd playback with its missing Asio driver in Squeezelite-x did sound better even with its windows 384khz driver seen in Squeezelite-x and having such improved SQ would be nice. Not sure why Squeezelite-x does not shows up chord asio driver even though seen in installed programs of windows ...

I am using Squeezelite as it also allows me seamless playback of the Intel NUC setup in my bedroom from my rather expensive Antipodes cx server with Antipodes ex player used in my main setup in the living room.

Thanks and cheers.
Replying to an old post, I know. SLX not showing that ASIO driver may have been an inadvertent bug I recently fixed. You might try again with latest version. I got a 2-star review over that, the only non 5-star review in the last couple years and it bugs me, haha. —RGDawson

Replying to an old post, I know. SLX not showing that ASIO driver may have been an inadvertent bug I recently fixed. You might try again with latest version. I got a 2-star review over that, the only non 5-star review in the last couple years and it bugs me, haha. —RGDawson
Many thanks and good to know !

I no longer have the chord mojo and using the excellent and vfm as well as compact ibasso dc03 pro version since they intro it at then usd50.

Cheers.

Top Bottom