• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is low level linearity with S/PDIF compared to USB:

Topping D50 DAC -90 dB USB Linearity Measurement.png

To my eyes they seem the same although I see the USB version has the bottom of the waveform more aligned/at the same level than S/PDIF. So likely less power supply noise.

I should mention all of these tests are with my laptop powering the Topping D50.

KaJ

From my interpretation of Amir's data, power supplied via USB appears to be only marginally worse than his lab supply so no need to worry about spending money on a PSU if you have a spare USB port.

I just feel like a $250 DAC should come with a wall wart at least.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is the residual noise and distortion from 1 kHz full amplitude tone:

Topping D50 DAC residuatl distortion and noise USB Measurement.png

Bit of a mixed picture with noise floor going down but harmonics going up a bit. Alas, the S/PDIF tests from yesterday and it is created by my analyzer versus USB. So it is possible the dither used is different in creation of those files and hence the difference in harmonic content.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Here is the residual noise and distortion from 1 kHz full amplitude tone:

View attachment 11066

Bit of a mixed picture with noise floor going down but harmonics going up a bit. Alas, the S/PDIF tests from yesterday and it is created by my analyzer versus USB. So it is possible the dither used is different in creation of those files and hence the difference in harmonic content.
Is it possible that you can please test it with a iPhone / Android 1A wall charger powering it? I would just like to see how the noise is. If you have an Anker charger, you could use that too as its a popular brand of chargers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it possible that you can please test it with a iPhone / Android 1A wall charger powering it? I would just like to see how the noise is. If you have an Anker charger, you could use that too as its a popular brand of chargers.
That is what I showed with the J-test signal earlier. Are you asking me to repeat that with the 1 kHz test?

Zilfallion

That is what I showed with the J-test signal earlier. Are you asking me to repeat that with the 1 kHz test?
You listed using a powerbank, I think he's talking about an actual wallcharger for a cellphone.

AdrianG

My next dac! , I think there's a competition for this dac the hifimediy uda38pro with 9038pro implementation for the same price

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You listed using a powerbank, I think he's talking about an actual wallcharger for a cellphone.
I did that test too. I explained in words that it was in between the power bank and my laptop.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My next dac! , I think there's a competition for this dac the hifimediy udac38 with 9038pro implementation
That one has a headphone amp too so if it matches this performance, it would be a good buy.

Can't find much information on it other than their web site. Have you seen much chatter on it?

AdrianG

That one has a headphone amp too so if it matches this performance, it would be a good buy.

Can't find much information on it other than their web site. Have you seen much chatter on it?
They shipped the first batch last week, I think we gonna see feedback in the next weeks

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yes please. I want to see how the jitter changes using a basic cell phone wall charger vs a nice power like a powerbank or even laptop power.

zephyros

Great to see the D50 "topping" even its bigger brother. Can't wait to see what's inside the box itself. That being said will the D50 have the internal analysis? I don't see any screw in the unit picture save for the underneath.

dc655321

Major Contributor

I have not seen much chatter on the hifimediy 9038 - it's too fresh.
But, I am very interested in it. Would make a nice complement to my SMSL iDEA, with better volume graduation.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That being said will the D50 have the internal analysis?
Yes, I will definitely try to get into it. Short of it being glued together and require surgery, I should be able to get it open somehow!

sonci

How's the build quality compared to the cheap D30?
Even though it lacks the screen, D30 seems cooler and better built..

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for comparing USB vs. S/PDIF. Would have loved to see the same for DX7s, but I understand why you put in the extra effort for this DAC given it is USB powered.

Top Bottom