• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

Grave

- no remote option
- headphone output impedance over 30 ohms makes it even worse than DX7s in "balanced" mode - only 600 ohm phones need apply for accurate frequency response (but at least you don't have to buy a "balanced" headphone cable to get decent headroom)

30 ohms would be fine for 300 ohm headphones.

JohsonChou

- no remote option
- headphone output impedance over 30 ohms makes it even worse than DX7s in "balanced" mode - only 600 ohm phones need apply for accurate frequency response (but at least you don't have to buy a "balanced" headphone cable to get decent headroom)

Yeah... I mean, it is however, $150 cheaper... It's not like you gonna use the headphone out of any of these DACs anyway...
If it is a DAC that measures well, even slightly worse than DX7s, it is still a solid option for a balanced dac.

esm

Forum Donor
Yeah, my DX7s is the center of my office desk setup; no additional amp, just the balanced headphone out for the cans, and pre-amp out for the monitors.

I had a Gustard H20 there for a while, but that got repurposed for something else (it's too big for my desk anyway), and I honestly haven't missed it (for the headphones I use with it).

vato3001

My Remote is here.
They shipped my with a Battery inside :)
What is about the M on the Remote?

vato3001

Why they put it on there?

Which Mode you prefer guys (1-7)?
I dont hear any difference yet.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Perhaps it will be used in common for other products.

Yasoku

Does anyone hear a soft pop when changing tracks to DSD? I have the DX7s. The player is Jriver.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Does anyone hearing a soft pop playing when changing tracks to DSD? I have the DX7s. The player is Jriver.
I reported to Topping's technical department in April the problem of big noise when changing the track with DS50 playback of D50 and DX7s. And as they promised to me, on July 24 the firmware update was done.
As a result, the noise generated in the DSD playback was greatly improved, but the DX 7s did not completely improve it. Sometimes it comes out as soft pop noise.

In the review of Amzon.co.jp below, the situation of the noise before the firmware is updated is uploaded as a video image. Please check it.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07BGTC664/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

JohsonChou

Agree that is a good candidate. I have a very full pipeline right now. Please remind me a few weeks from now and if no one loans me one, I can purchase one for test.

I found one used for $200 and bought it. Let me know when you are free to test it, I can loan it to you.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I found one used for $200 and bought it. Let me know when you are free to test it, I can loan it to you.
Great. Thanks. Let's roughly plan it for next month.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Quick list from memory:

Allo Katana DAC (and ApplePi)
ES100 bluetooth adapter
Minidsp SHD
iFi nano iDSD
Fostex (sorry forget the model number)
Topping D10 opamp rolling

These are the ones I am getting requests to review soon. For a much longer list click on my signature on Equipment Being Reviewed although I have not fully updated it. :)

gvl

Major Contributor
Cool, thanks. Interesting to see how the Pi setup does.

rh0Negative

I'm wondering if this would work for electrostatic set-up ?:
X7's=>Pro iESL (via 4pin balanced input )=>SR-L700
or maybe just use balanced DAC out

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Topping D10 opamp rolling

:)

You've got a list of opamps you're gonna use ?

BTW, does the D10 use dual channel or single channel opamps ?
If its dual channel, perhaps you can explore mounting single channel chips with adaptors and see if there are performance gains from " superior spec'd" ultra-low-noise chips such as the AD797, LT1128/1028 and LT6201CS8.

Do fill us in on that.

Thanks. :)

Top Bottom