• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Members asked for it and sent me a couple of test in there. No, I don't remember the part numbers.

Fair enough :) Just can’t see what audible improvements could be gained..

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I guess its more of what and how audio performance readings are affected by these chips and what are the plausible correlations to the perceived sound changes these chips make.

At least that's my question when I do opamp rolling.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I guess its more of what and how audio performance readings are affected by these chips and what are the plausible correlations to the perceived sound changes these chips make.

At least that's my question when I do opamp rolling.

Unless the circuit is optimised for the swapped-in op-amp all you are doing is an exercise in uncharted tone variation rather than considered improvement.

Tinkering could be seen as a form of gambling. Occasional wins only give encouragement for more. :facepalm:

Trial-and-error variation to a Zobel network could be worth trying re bass performance wrt particular 'phones.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Fair enough :) Just can’t see what audible improvements could be gained..
Well, part of our mission is to put data behind everything. In this area, i.e. op-amp rolling, there is next to no measurements. So putting some on the table should be educational.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Unless the circuit is optimised for the swapped-in op-amp all you are doing is an exercise in uncharted tone variation rather than considered improvement.

Tinkering could be seen as a form of gambling. Occasional wins only give encouragement for more. :facepalm:

Variation to a Zobel network could be worth trying re bass performance wrt particular 'phones.

Isn't it analogous to buying a new set of amps / speakers / headphones / phono cartridge and other audio related equipment plugged into an existing setup "hoping" that the resultant altered output will be to one's liking ?

But in this case, more of tuning of the sound signature based on one's best understanding of circuitry compatibility with different op-amps and testing if its to ones liking for sound output?

If that's not part of the "audio experimentation" then why bother with buying "quality" components to begin with ?

And as Amir has said rightly, there really is next to almost no measured results from opamp rolling, it will be useful/ educational information in any case.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I b
Isn't it analogous to buying a new set of amps / speakers / headphones / phono cartridge and other audio related equipment plugged into an existing setup "hoping" that the resultant altered output will be to one's liking ?

But in this case, more of tuning of the sound signature based on one's best understanding of circuitry compatibility with different op-amps and testing if its to ones liking for sound output?

If that's not part of the "audio experimentation" then why bother with buying "quality" components to begin with ?

And as Amir has said rightly, there really is next to almost no measured results from opamp rolling, it will be useful/ educational information in any case.

I buy well designed transparent equipment(nowhere near hi-end) that has standard matching parameters and don't feel I need to gazump the designers. I don't buy stuff that has to be modified. If that is what others do that is fine by me - their time and money.
The unsubstantiated claims that appear on forums as recommendations for others with their myriad assortment of systems is the problem.

Now, when I was building tube guitar amps I tried tube swapping( this topic is just as rife on guitar forums as on tube audio forums). After adjusting plate voltage and bias to the specified values their wasn't much noticeable difference. Nailing the right operating point to get 'the sound' was the aim. Musicians can get very anal about subtle differences in tone but the audience won't notice.

Group behaviour. Mods:

images0CDJ4QG5.jpg

o_O

Last edited:

alpha

Some more questions about DX7s from a new member:
1. Before and after firmware upgrade (18G) the tool shows firmware version v6.F2. Is it ok? My serial is starting with 1804.
2. Do you think if DX7s had any MQA capability? Pro-ject S2 Digital has it with a very similar HW.
3. Do you know why DSD playing has a problem above version 0.8.4 of the plugin foo_inpust_sacd in foobar? 0.8.4 and below versions are working.
Thanks in advance, I really enjoy the discussion here :). Keep up the good job.

Veri

Master Contributor
MQA has not only to do with HW but also with license costs. MQA is effectively a DRM for music...

n2it

Some more questions about DX7s from a new member:
3. Do you know why DSD playing has a problem above version 0.8.4 of the plugin foo_inpust_sacd in foobar? 0.8.4 and below versions are working.

I have Foobar2000 working with DSD. I use foo_input_sacd 1.0.10. (I am also using the associated DSDTranscoder). What problems did you have with the newer foo_input_sacd? Also are you using DSDTranscoder? (DSDTranscoder is a pass through ASIO driver that converts DoP to native DSD).

I have not used the 0.8.4 version of foo_input_sacd - but if you have it working, is there some reason to upgrade to a later version? It looks like it does the same things, but it a different way (different UI and different components)

alpha

I have Foobar2000 working with DSD. I use foo_input_sacd 1.0.10. (I am also using the associated DSDTranscoder). What problems did you have with the newer foo_input_sacd? Also are you using DSDTranscoder? (DSDTranscoder is a pass through ASIO driver that converts DoP to native DSD).

I have not used the 0.8.4 version of foo_input_sacd - but if you have it working, is there some reason to upgrade to a later version? It looks like it does the same things, but it a different way (different UI and different components)

In case of DSD512 I get the following error message in a foobar:

Unrecoverable playback error: Sample rate of 1411200 Hz not supported by this device

With earlier versions of foo_input_sacd it is also working. Topping also includes an early foo_input_sacd version in their windows driver package.
BTW, did you see any free DSD512 music sample to test?

Pillars

Hah that's funny, I saw that listing but I thought the price was a bit high. I took a gamble on the DX7S that 'wouldn't turn on' for a little above $100. Looked brand new but when I opened it up it was missing a cap and had one broken off rattling around. Also the voltage switch was set incorrectly. Ordered a replacement cap from Amazon and after quick use of my iron the DX7S is up and running like a champ. Sounds awesome hooked into my Liquid Carbon X -> HE560.

Top Bottom