• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI: DX7S 1.01 FW update readme says "This firmware is only suitable for product which SN number start with 1712 to 1807"

John B

I also have a Gungnir MB / Mjorlnir 2 Rig. I pretty much only listen to acoustic piano (have almost 5k acoustic albums) and used to play semiprofessionally so know what I should be hearing. In demanding acoustic music Gungnir is complete garbage. Though not as awful as the super smeared sounding meridian director setup it replaced - still was pretty bad. Spent a few years selling high end audio gear and snagged Schiit stack second hand out of curiosity but should have known better. Not only was the Gungnir MB just not acceptable, but the Mjolnir 2 is vastly outperformed by the balanced TP cheapo headphone out on the DX7s. If you are in Seattle and want an OBO on these two units message me, looking at them upsets me at this point, triggering memories of being naive enough to fall for several popular but dubious forums extremely misleading discussions on these substandard products. Headphones 800s early thirties hearing in good shape.. Also filter 5 heads an tails above others for some reason on DX7s

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I also have a Gungnir MB / Mjorlnir 2 Rig. I pretty much only listen to acoustic piano (have almost 5k acoustic albums) and used to play semiprofessionally so know what I should be hearing. In demanding acoustic music Gungnir is complete garbage. Though not as awful as the super smeared sounding meridian director setup it replaced - still was pretty bad. Spent a few years selling high end audio gear and snagged Schiit stack second hand out of curiosity but should have known better. Not only was the Gungnir MB just not acceptable, but the Mjolnir 2 is vastly outperformed by the balanced TP cheapo headphone out on the DX7s. If you are in Seattle and want an OBO on these two units message me, looking at them upsets me at this point, triggering memories of being naive enough to fall for several popular but dubious forums extremely misleading discussions on these substandard products. Headphones 800s early thirties hearing in good shape.. Also filter 5 heads an tails above others for some reason on DX7s
You should be aware this is a objectivist based sight. Will be happy to accept your subjective listening impression if accompanied by detailed results of a bias controlled blind listening session. Sighted sessions are much too easily influanced by listening bias to be taken seriously.
Welcome to Audio Science Review forums. ;)

Grave

If subjective impressions are not allowed then this site is worthless.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Where does it say that on the door ?

Never ending argument based on non substantive personal testimonies about what one thinks they hear is a issue.

If posted fully accepting their limits of validity then subjective impressions are fine so don’t worry @John B sal was born salty and welcome to the forum.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think you need to go back and read my post. Without supporting evidence as in DBT it's the purely subjective impressions that are worthless and a waste of time.

If syrupy mids, velvet highs, lifted veils, and all that are the kind of crap you want to read there are tons of sites like WBF, HeadFi, CA etc etc available to you, You can post anything you want, but if you do please expect to be asked for scientific evidence. If your going to state that A sounds SO different than B,
""In demanding acoustic music Gungnir is complete garbage. Though not as awful as the super smeared sounding meridian director setup it replaced - still was pretty bad"
please at least back it up with proof.

jsmiller58

Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

John B

Apologies! Tone is a bit off but I did want to communicate the feeling of being hornswoggled, so in that at least, I've found success. Have these units been measured? My primary problem is with initial impulse response from hammer strikes being fuzzy on schitt stack vs crystal clear on the DX7s. I'm thinking this has something to do with filter impulse response and/or frequency time shift in meridian and schiit's implementation. Would be nice to have a graph showing what I don't like so I can avoid it - in an objective opinion free sense. scientiae libertas etc...

derp1n

Apologies! Tone is a bit off but I did want to communicate the feeling of being hornswoggled, so in that at least, I've found success. Have these units been measured? My primary problem is with initial impulse response from hammer strikes being fuzzy on schitt stack vs crystal clear on the DX7s. I'm thinking this has something to do with filter impulse response and/or frequency time shift in meridian and schiit's implementation. Would be nice to have a graph showing what I don't like so I can avoid it - in an objective opinion free sense. scientiae libertas etc...
Neither the Gungir MB or Mjolnir 2 have been measured on ASR. Both the Bifrost MB and Yggdrasil/Yggdrasil v2 have been measured, neither performed well for the price and the Bifrost performance is potentially bad enough to be audible.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

snip3r77

I'm at a crossroad. Should I get this ( balanced + headamp ) OR should I get DX50 ( half the price ) and top up for another amp?
For the latter, I do not have balanced but I can choose my own amp. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

derp1n

I'm at a crossroad. Should I get this ( balanced + headamp ) OR should I get DX50 ( half the price ) and top up for another amp?
For the latter, I do not have balanced but I can choose my own amp. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
What headphones are you intending to use and what's your budget?

The only obvious downside to the DX7s amp is the 10 ohm output impedance, which makes it less suitable for low (<80 ohm) impedance headphones and IEMs.

Top Bottom