• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

Jimster480

Major Contributor
So ... it looks like it's really "rev the unit so we can put ESS 9038" on the spec sheet deal.

Most of the changes from the 9018 series to the 9038 series, particularly with the Q2M and/or mobile parts, are about reducing power requirements and making them easier to implement in power/thermally constrained products. The 9038Pro series chips are a bit different in that regard, though the first unit using that converter that I tried would overheat/crash regularly.
Yes, looking at the specs of all the different chips its pretty clear to me that there isn't much of a sonic change and it is mostly about power consumption.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So ... it looks like it's really "rev the unit so we can put ESS 9038" on the spec sheet deal.
I think "we" are mostly to blame. So much emphasis is put on which DAC chip is used as opposed to measured performance that companies have no choice but to climb the upgrade train.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe topping could offer a firmware update with:
  1. an option to turn the THD optimization on/off
  2. an option to manually "calibrate" the imblance between the two ES9038q2m (should be easy enough to do as the device already include a volume control functionality)
Definitely good options to have.

Zilfallion

Hmm, seems a little disappointing. Not something bad, but not what I'd get since a few headphones I'm looking at in the future are under 100ohms. The X7s also seems like it doesn't really add anything.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hmm, seems a little disappointing. Not something bad, but not what I'd get since a few headphones I'm looking at in the future are under 100ohms. The X7s also seems like it doesn't really add anything.
I just use it with my O2Amp, which really isn't expensive for overall great sound on lower impedance headphones.

Zilfallion

I just use it with my O2Amp, which really isn't expensive for overall great sound on lower impedance headphones.
O2 is an amp I'm considering... but I really think I'll end up going for an Element. Specs wise it's not amazing, but it looks good, it measures okay, and it has a bit of power.

SpeedyRodent

O2 is an amp I'm considering... but I really think I'll end up going for an Element. Specs wise it's not amazing, but it looks good, it measures okay, and it has a bit of power.

If you only need the headphone amp, the JDS Labs EL AMP is essentially the Element without the DAC. Both the Element and EL Amp are good choices over the O2. JDS labs sometimes has "B-Stock" for a bit cheaper.

Probably not a issue with the DX7 but the O2 does not pair well with sources above 2v. The gain stage clips easily with input sources above 2v.

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor

Not take this thread even more off topic, but if you are looking for an affordable, high-quality solid-state amp, look into the Arcam rHead. I was recently in the market and picked one up for my girlfriend's home office. It has gotten stellar reviews across the board and can be gotten at an incredible discount on Analogue Seduction, here.

If you are in the US, its ~$200 USD shipped. MSRP in the states was $600 about a year go. Mine is on the way from the UK, can give some thoughts when it arrives :D unfortunately, seems no one has measured it, but that may change in the near future ;)

Here are some reviews:
Innerfidelity
Hifi+

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Not take this thread even more off topic, but if you are looking for an affordable, high-quality solid-state amp, look into the Arcam rHead. I was recently in the market and picked one up for my girlfriend's home office. It has gotten stellar reviews across the board and can be gotten at an incredible discount on Analogue Seduction, here.

If you are in the US, its ~$200 USD shipped. MSRP in the states was $600 about a year go. Mine is on the way from the UK, can give some thoughts when it arrives :D unfortunately, seems no one has measured it, but that may change in the near future ;)

Here are some reviews:
Innerfidelity
Hifi+
I'll check that one out!
If you only need the headphone amp, the JDS Labs EL AMP is essentially the Element without the DAC. Both the Element and EL Amp are good choices over the O2. JDS labs sometimes has "B-Stock" for a bit cheaper.

Probably not a issue with the DX7 but the O2 does not pair well with sources above 2v. The gain stage clips easily with input sources above 2v.

I have a custom O2 with a 1x Gain and 2.2x gain. Works great with my DX7!
Mine was B stock custom $120 shipped I believe from JDS Labs.

The EL Amp is nice too but I don't like its form factor and it for that reason it doesn't work in my stack. The amp volume control is on the top meaning that it needs to always be the top device. Since it has analog passthrough this also defeats the purpose because nothing can sit on top of it lol

Zilfallion

Yeah, looking for both DAC and Amp. Considered the EL AMP+other DAC(OL and EL both seem good, Topping D30 if I want something that measures good and has everything you need besides balanced). Really like the knob.

Not take this thread even more off topic, but if you are looking for an affordable, high-quality solid-state amp, look into the Arcam rHead.
Yeah, not exactly on topic, sorry about that. DX7s was something I was considering after the DX7 did pretty well here. I'll take a look at the Arcam amp though.
The EL Amp is nice too but I don't like its form factor and it for that reason it doesn't work in my stack. The amp volume control is on the top meaning that it needs to always be the top device. Since it has analog passthrough this also defeats the purpose because nothing can sit on top of it lol
The form factor is the reason I want it, or the Element. That being said, I'm starting my entry, so I can build around it if I want to, instead of having to fit it in.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yeah, looking for both DAC and Amp. Considered the EL AMP+other DAC(OL and EL both seem good, Topping D30 if I want something that measures good and has everything you need besides balanced). Really like the knob.

Yeah, not exactly on topic, sorry about that. DX7s was something I was considering after the DX7 did pretty well here. I'll take a look at the Arcam amp though.

The form factor is the reason I want it, or the Element. That being said, I'm starting my entry, so I can build around it if I want to, instead of having to fit it in.
True, you could get a D50 (assuming it measures well) and a EL Amp. You would be covered in basically every way! For me I need 2 amps so it has to be stackable, right now I use an A30 and an O2 but ideally I want my first Amp to be something that doesn't have impedance mismatch.
I did just look into the Arcam rHead and I can't find it near the price that was suggested, only on ebay there is one seller that has it new for $279 + 45 Shipping...

Zilfallion

I did just look into the Arcam rHead and I can't find it near the price that was suggested, only on ebay there is one seller that has it new for $279 + 45 Shipping...
I can find it for £199.00, but shipping to the US isn't possible. Even off Amazon.uk. Seems there's some agreement with Arcam not to ship it to the states.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I can find it for £199.00, but shipping to the US isn't possible. Even off Amazon.uk. Seems there's some agreement with Arcam not to ship it to the states.
Yes I found the same, but 199 GBP is $277 just like I posted before. But the shipping isnt to the USA like you said, you have to contact them for international

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor

johan

Audio Company
This is a very much anticipated review of the Topping DX7s which is a replacement for Topping DX7. As you see in this picture of them in my lab, they are twin brothers as far as enclosure, and features:

If you like this review, please consider donating funds for these types of hardware purchases using Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).

The THD+N vs frequency numbers are you using any filters? Also do they use SMPS or linear PSU ?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The THD+N vs frequency numbers are you using any filters? Also do they use SMPS or linear PSU ?
All tests unless noted were with the default Brickwall filter. The power supply is built in and is linear.

johan

Audio Company
All tests unless noted were with the default Brickwall filter. The power supply is built in and is linear.
And measurements are on balanced outputs ? Its makes sense that it has a linear PSU , I can see it when you compare the project box with the DSX7s on THD+N vs frequency

Top Bottom